• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

1/14/2015 - Elio Motors Engine Debut (with Photos!)

Kegger

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I immediately noticed the fairly wide "outrigger" headlight pods on the Ford racer, which are there to get the car through the IVA test. Elio will have to fit something similar to their 3 wheeler if they want to sell them in UK.
I've often thought about the wheels sticking out there in the dark. Not a huge deal, but I've been thinking of ways to stylishly install EL wire amber (front) and red (back of the wheelwells) markers just for a bit of added visibility

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've often thought about the wheels sticking out there in the dark. Not a huge deal, but I've been thinking of ways to stylishly install EL wire amber (front) and red (back of the wheelwells) markers just for a bit of added visibility

There's been a great deal of discussion on this forum in the past about front lights.
My only concern about the Elio is that the UK regulations require the headlights to be a maximum of 400 mm from the outer edge of the vehicle; in this case that will mean the front fenders. Fitting other marker lights on the fenders doesn't count.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
There's been a great deal of discussion on this forum in the past about front lights.
My only concern about the Elio is that the UK regulations require the headlights to be a maximum of 400 mm from the outer edge of the vehicle; in this case that will mean the front fenders. Fitting other marker lights on the fenders doesn't count.

would they allow you to buy one, import it, and mount lights on the fenders prior to them OK'ing it for use on your roads

Kegger

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
would they allow you to buy one, import it, and mount lights on the fenders prior to them OK'ing it for use on your roads

The potential problem with headlights on the fenders is that they would turn with the wheels as they turned...although....now that I think about it, that would be amazing! It would be an inexpensive way to have adaptive headlights like what Mercedes and other high end companies do. I've driven a car where the headlights turn into the turn as well, and it's really something to behold.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here in the states we are more or less banking on the distinction between a car and a motorcycle, (and their respective differences in regulations), to even be able to get the Elio on the road. Were it classified as a car here, it would have an additional mountain of requirements to meet, which it couldn't, and that would be the end of it. So, perhaps there are some similar differences in regulation in GB that might allow it? But if not, it would have to pass all the requirements of any 'car', which I assume are numerous and imaginative. I'm not sure which of our two nations carry more restrictions on vehicles, but here in the land of the taxed and the home over the over-regulated we're counting on a loophole as it is. Unless GB is much more lenient than here, there's probably no way an Elio is EVER going there.

Ocean9000

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wheaters, if the UK thinks it's a motorcycle as the US does, it's not a problem - otherwise all single headlamp Triumphs without clip-ons are illegal, definitely more than 400mm (that's 15.748 inches. yes?) from lamp to bar-end.

If the UK allows import of Can-Ams, you should be golden.

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The potential problem with headlights on the fenders is that they would turn with the wheels as they turned...although....now that I think about it, that would be amazing! It would be an inexpensive way to have adaptive headlights like what Mercedes and other high end companies do. I've driven a car where the headlights turn into the turn as well, and it's really something to behold.

my question about mounting the lights on the fenders doesn't reflect any desire on my part to have headlights there .... simply asking if such a retrofit might allow it to be imported .... while I can see an advantage to having the lights turn with the front tires, I believe the way they would be bouncing up and down while going down the road would be a major distraction/problem .... another possible solution would be a mounting bracket on the front body of the Elio which would extend the lights out to the legal limit .... I wouldn't like that option either but hey, it beats not being able to buy one

Top Bottom