• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

1/14/2015 - Elio Motors Engine Debut (with Photos!)

Kegger

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
@JEBar Ah yeah, I think you're right, the headlight really would bounce around a lot, and if using incandescent bulbs, you might end up going through a bunch of them. I personally will buy the HID upgrade to use with the Projectors (You do NOT want to do an HID upgrade if there are no projector housings*).

*Off Topic: On a side note about HID headlight upgrades. Most of the annoying, blinding headlights you see on the highway that are ridiculously bright, are people that have gotten the super bright HID bulbs, but not purchased the proper housings for them. The reflective cups on factory Headlight housings can be overwhelmed by too much light, causing the light waves to bounce around and scatter improperly. Below is an example of bad on the left and good on the right.
pnp-vs-retrofit-cutoff-output1.jpg

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
K, you know me and options. My 1970 Dodge Polara had these corner lights that turned on when the signals were on.

One thing I liked about that, you didn't have to actually be in the turn to already have them on. I could see street signs and give myself advance warning that were otherwise blind to me.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
JEBar, naw, they wouldn't be bouncing up and down. In the UK they have paved roads - not at all like the US... Detroit comes to mind.

I've never been across the big pond but the ones around here are paved yet bouncing is a fact of life .... it seems as if every time they fill a pothole, they create a speed bump .. :confused: ..

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've never been across the big pond but the ones around here are paved yet bouncing is a fact of life .... it seems as if every time they fill a pothole, they create a speed bump .. :confused: ..

in addition :

rant.gif
I don't believe that anyone building interstate highways in this country today knows how to make it smooth on and off of of a bridge
rant.gif

OK, I feel better now .. ;)

Attachments

• rant.gif
    rant.gif
    25.6 KB · Views: 177

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
@JEBar The reflective cups on factory Headlight housings can be overwhelmed by too much light, causing the light waves to bounce around and scatter improperly. Below is an example of bad on the left and good on the right.
While this is a real problem, this explanation is 100% bogus. It doesn't matter how much light there is, it all reflects the same. The problem is that reflectors are shaped for specific bulbs emitting light from specific areas, and if another bulb emits light from a different area then the reflectors don't focus it as the manufacturer intended.

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wheaters, if the UK thinks it's a motorcycle as the US does, it's not a problem - otherwise all single headlamp Triumphs without clip-ons are illegal, definitely more than 400mm (that's 15.748 inches. yes?) from lamp to bar-end.

If the UK allows import of Can-Ams, you should be golden.

The rules here in UK do already cater for vehicles like the Elio. In theory it should be quite straightforward to register an Elio but there are a lot of design requirements to be met and the lighting design regs need to be complied with. Any non-EEC type approved vehicle needs to undergo and pass a detailed design/safety inspection before it can be issued with a certificate so that it can be road registered. The inspection type relevant to the Elio is known as the Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval, or MSVA. It will come under the classification of a "bodied motor tricycle" (not quite the same group as the Canam Spyder which is more like an open motorcycle with two front wheels). As far as I can see, Elio will need headlights on outriggers (or P3 style bodywork with those stylish side pods on the nose cone) to get the headlights within the maximum distance of 400 mm of the outer edge of the vehicle.

Also, HID "upgrades" have recently been deemed illegal over here. Too many people were fitting cheap and nasty aftermarket kits which can cause terrible dazzle to oncoming traffic. In UK we have to put our vehicles through an annual safety check known as the MOT test. If the vehicle fails, it can't be driven until the defects are rectified and the insurance will also be deemed invalid. If you get caught driving without insurance they will impound your car. HID headlights mean an instant MOT test fail and there's no let out by trying to go elsewhere in an attempt to pass - everything is now on a computer database and once the fault is on there, there is no hiding it. If you drive without the test certificate, there are now number plate recognition cameras linked to the database computer, they are at service stations, fitted to police cars, everywhere.

Top Bottom