• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

1/7/15 - Cult Of Mac (ces) - Sexy Sci-fi Car Get 84 Mpg

imageon

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here is a video I had not seen before they seem to be on the same page as the Cult of Mac guy.
Looks like a mobil SkyzMatic screen with a Elio built around it.
MK

Last edited:

creekstone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here is a video I had not seen before they seem to be on the same page as the Cult of Mac guy.
Looks like a mobil SkyzMatic screen with a Elio built around it.

The guy says available in 2016, twice.

This isn't some blogger just quoting something he found online. Elio Motors trusted him enough to let him drive it. He had to have gotten that 2016 date from an Elio person. Right?

Update (edit)...

I reached out to The Verge reporter, Sam Sheffer, and asked:
"You mentioned that the Elio would be available in 2016. Can you share who at Elio told you that?"

Sam replyed:
"I'm not sure who told me that. I don't remember the man's name. He said next year, so I went with 2016."

So, the sky isn't falling.:D

Last edited:

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
The guy says available in 2016, twice.

This isn't some blogger just quoting something he found online. Elio Motors trusted him enough to let him drive it. He had to have gotten that 2016 date from an Elio person. Right?
People who had already reserved are supposed to get their Elios in 2015, everyone else will be in 2016.

creekstone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
People who had already reserved are supposed to get their Elios in 2015, everyone else will be in 2016.

I know EM has repeatedly stated that reservation holders will get their autocycles the "first year" of production. But there's still speculation as to what that means. Does that mean the first year model? Does it mean within a 12 month period from the start of production? And what is the reservation cut-off (number of vehicles or date) for that "first year"?

I also realize that financing is probably the most constraining variable impacting the start of production. The timing, much less certainty, of the loan is currently unknown.

My point is this: the 2016 date has been mentioned by at least two journalists reporting from CES. It bears watching. Ultimately, time will tell.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm hoping they send mine off the line in either mid/late Oct., nice weather, beautiful autumn colors. Or March/April of 2016, spring flower/smells, and beautiful spring colors (namely - green). I forgot, until recently, how much I hate the weather in this part of the country on the months in between. Brown trees, gray skies, and you're hoping for freezing temps to stiffen up the mud that's everywhere.

That said, we've got a 'heat wave' heading our way this weekend. Should be in the low 50's...need to break the shorts and flip-flops out. :D

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It has been stated clearly multiple times, in multiple places, "within the first year of production". If they start building in September 2015, then we should ALL have our autocycles by September 2016!
Even the ones built in 2015, will be considered 2016 models, due to the end of the calendar year production date.
I'm thinking this is where those who do columns on the Elio are getting tripped up. IMO. Perhaps they should state (as a 2016 model)?

I'll state "sorry" in advance, if this post seems a bit direct, but my goal is to state clearly, not to poke anyone with a stick.

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll see what kind of answers I can squeeze out from them this Saturday. . . Anything to add folks?

OK, I got this down; Here's the interview (they interviewed ME while I was interviewing THEM, so surprising)

1) When do you expect the first public reports of the engine performance?
The engine testing is a 4 to 6 month program, which we're already past the first month, so 3-5 more months.
So far we've taken the engine up into Dry Fitted Pressure testing. This involves all the fluid areas and the high chamber pressure the engine will encounter. When this is completed, power testing can begin.
(Interviewer Note: We've been told before, capacity and volumetric verification was also preformed up front)

2) When will the first build of a crash test vehicle be started? Is there a schedule for the first test? Who will conduct the tests?
This will begin right after the Engine testing completes. So 3 to 5 months from now.

3) When will the first Elio start on the assembly line? How committed is that date?
Look for news about this next week.

4) Could the federal financing guarantee timing affect the production schedule?
Yes that is possible it could affect production start date.
Originally, we had submitted a while before that original Government Loan Guarantee program was cut.
When the Loan Guarantee program was re-instated, they actually contacted us directly to please resubmit.
After that it was only 3 weeks before that step was accepted and passed.
There is some evidence to suggest future steps will be similarly prompt.

5) What is the desired target level for total first year reservations? Will you produce more than that?
Currently it is at around 20k more than the current reservations. We've evaluated that every time we cross a 10k boundary. At 20k we targeted in 40k units.

6) Has any fleet sales customers asked for interesting options; Like a turbo, emergency lighting or a hitch?
A lot of request for E85 compatibility, and Emergency lighting for the body.

7) How do you feel about the Fan-Created Elio options online?
We are very enthusiastic about all the interest and activity.

8) Anything else you think would be fun to see illustrated?
I would like to see the SkyZ and it's Fixtures.

9) Any hint of competition yet, meeting this specification, anywhere in the world?
None

10) Will the standard Dash display on-going MPG without the SkyZ option?
No. However, the SkyZ features can be purchased as separate Options.
(Did not say if it would offer real-time MPG, I should have followed up, big oops)

11) Will Hands Free Bluetooth for your cell phone be available with out SkyZ?
Yes, We have a paired interface and holder/recharger from Continental for about $200.

12) How did the color offering get determined?
Color pallets are developed in co-operation with our vendors, and cost to research and develop for manufacturing.
Our vendor had a suitable pallet that was available from a prior effort. A significant cost savings for the R&D effort.

13) -new- model year 2--They offered this:
Our engineer's get bored so they've been spending some effort designing Elio2 for the model after year one.

-Enjoy!

imageon

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Say they start production first of October.
Crankin out 250 a day:
5 days 1250
1 month = 5000
3 Months = 15000 by 2016
If they start in 1st December 5000 by 2016
Eather I get mine.
MK

Top Bottom