• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

1/7/15 - Cult Of Mac (ces) - Sexy Sci-fi Car Get 84 Mpg

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Franchise Dealerships .... that seems to be the hangup .... just wondering, why couldn't EM follow that provision in Ohio and "sell" the franchise to Paul Elio who would run it the same way as all of the company's other outlets .... the only difference would be on paper
Officially, it's a three-tier system. Manufacturer to distributor to dealer. Dealers must have at least one sample vehicle on hand and must also have a registered repair facility. In this case, I don't know who the distributor would be -- but it can't be owned by Elio Motors. Nor can the dealership. The need to insert two additional layers between manufacturer and customer plays hob with the economics of the Elio car by adding non-value-added cost to the vehicle.

Here is the relevant passage from Ohio State Law. No dealer's license shall be issued if the applicant

(11) Is a manufacturer, or a parent company, subsidiary, or affiliated entity of a manufacturer, applying for a license to sell or lease new or used motor vehicles at retail. Division (A)(11) of this section shall not serve as a basis for the termination, revocation, or nonrenewal of a license granted prior to the effective date of this amendment. Nothing in division (A)(11) of this section shall prohibit a manufacturer from doing either of the following:

(a) Owning, operating, or controlling not more than three licensed motor vehicle dealerships if, as of January 1, 2014, the manufacturer was selling or otherwise distributing its motor vehicles at an established place of business in this state. Such ownership, operation, or control may continue unless the manufacturer's motor vehicle operations are sold or acquired or the manufacturer produces any motor vehicles other than all-electric motor vehicles.
(11)(a) is the clause that allows Tesla to have its three manufacturer owned locations in Ohio, and the Jan 1 2014 date means that Elio will NOT be able to own a dealership or direct distribution point in Ohio, nor to sell vehicles directly to the public in Ohio.

Not to go round and round on this, the short version is -- Ohio buyers will have to buy their cars in other states and either have them shipped or pick them up at the point of sale. When this law was revised in 2014, a lot of people argued that it was purely to protect dealers, not consumers, but the Republican-controlled State House and State Senate, and Republican governor Kasich, all sided with the state automobile dealers's association. Result: no Elio distribution points in Ohio. Dealers: OK, but they can't be owned by Elio.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Officially, it's a three-tier system. Manufacturer to distributor to dealer. Dealers must have at least one sample vehicle on hand and must also have a registered repair facility. In this case, I don't know who the distributor would be -- but it can't be owned by Elio Motors. Nor can the dealership. The need to insert two additional layers between manufacturer and customer plays hob with the economics of the Elio car by adding non-value-added cost to the vehicle.

Here is the relevant passage from Ohio State Law. No dealer's license shall be issued if the applicant

(11) Is a manufacturer, or a parent company, subsidiary, or affiliated entity of a manufacturer, applying for a license to sell or lease new or used motor vehicles at retail. Division (A)(11) of this section shall not serve as a basis for the termination, revocation, or nonrenewal of a license granted prior to the effective date of this amendment. Nothing in division (A)(11) of this section shall prohibit a manufacturer from doing either of the following:

(a) Owning, operating, or controlling not more than three licensed motor vehicle dealerships if, as of January 1, 2014, the manufacturer was selling or otherwise distributing its motor vehicles at an established place of business in this state. Such ownership, operation, or control may continue unless the manufacturer's motor vehicle operations are sold or acquired or the manufacturer produces any motor vehicles other than all-electric motor vehicles.
(11)(a) is the clause that allows Tesla to have its three manufacturer owned locations in Ohio, and the Jan 1 2014 date means that Elio will NOT be able to own a dealership or direct distribution point in Ohio, nor to sell vehicles directly to the public in Ohio.

Not to go round and round on this, the short version is -- Ohio buyers will have to buy their cars in other states and either have them shipped or pick them up at the point of sale. When this law was revised in 2014, a lot of people argued that it was purely to protect dealers, not consumers, but the Republican-controlled State House and Gov't, and Republican governor Kasich, all sided with the state automobile dealers's association. Result: no Elio distribution points in Ohio. Dealers: OK, but they can't be owned by Elio.

OK, You got my attention. Lets check what is being done about this . I'll call tomorrow.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll see what kind of answers I can squeeze out from them this Saturday.

1) When do you expect the first public reports of the engine performance?
2) When will the first build of a crash test vehicle be started? Is there a schedule for the first test? Who will conduct the tests?
3) When will the first Elio start on the assembly line? How committed is that date?
4) Could the federal financing guarantee timing affect the production schedule?
5) What is the desired target level for total first year reservations? Will you produce more than that?

Also want to know;
Has any fleet sales customers asked for interesting options; Like a turbo, emergency lighting or a hitch?
How do you feel about the Fan-Created Elio options online?
Anything else you think would be fun to see illustrated?
Any hint of competition yet, anywhere in the world?

Anything to add folks?

If they see me coming and duck, I'll know they read this. On the other hand, they could hand me a preprinted answer sheet, and then I'll KNOW they read these forums!

If I like the result, I could update my article at www.3wheelers.com .
I went and got all my questions addressed and then some. Had a very good time but had to leave before 10am, very soon after I got ill. So I'll try and have all those answers written up as soon as I can. Frankly, I'm heading off to the ER now (ouch!), don't worry I'll be OK in a couple of days.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I went and got all my questions addressed and then some. Had a very good time but had to leave before 10am, very soon after I got ill. So I'll try and have all those answers written up as soon as I can. Frankly, I'm heading off to the ER now (ouch!), don't worry I'll be OK in a couple of days.

Very succinct list, am looking forward to your Speedy Recovery first. :)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

you didn't try to drive off in the P4 did you ..:eek:.. seriously, sorry to hear of your apparent ooooops .... take care

Top Bottom