• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

1/7/15 - Cult Of Mac (ces) - Sexy Sci-fi Car Get 84 Mpg

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Goofyone,

A very nice couple on this thread said: "That was the impression that I got. goofyone will be able to clarify."

In the movie The Wizard of Oz, there is a scene where the city residents are bewildered by an event and say "The wizard will know"
I believe on this website you are beginning to be viewed by many of us as "the wizard of elioowners.com".

ain't no doubt about it .. :D

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I expect there to be some reduced level of the Skyz System to cover this OBD-II disparity.
The Key will be the option cost.........:)

I have a few ideas for how to resolve the missing OBD-II streaming data issue which depend on what exactly EM is doing. I have also already reached out to EM about the possibility of getting access to the technical data I would need to understand exactly what would need to be done to reintegrate the streaming data into an OBD-II port. So far the response has been favorable however I have to clear a few legalities and was waiting until things settle in this new year to try and continue the process. :)

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a few ideas for how to resolve the missing OBD-II streaming data issue which depend on what exactly EM is doing. I have also already reached out to EM about the possibility of getting access to the technical data I would need to understand exactly what would need to be done to reintegrate the streaming data into an OBD-II port. So far the response has been favorable however I have to clear a few legalities and was waiting until things settle in this new year to try and continue the process. :)
Thanks for your reply, Goofyone.

This leads to another question: Will the ECU be encrypted? All are now, but many are cracked and unlocked by companies like Cobb Tuning, Superchips, Hypertech, SCT, Jet, and the like so that owners can modify the vehicles they own to suit their needs. It would greatly enhance the aftermarket and hobbyist scene if the ECU is NOT encrypted. Afterall, if you can't open it, you don't own it!

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, Goofyone.

This leads to another question: Will the ECU be encrypted? All are now, but many are cracked and unlocked by companies like Cobb Tuning, Superchips, Hypertech, SCT, Jet, and the like so that owners can modify the vehicles they own to suit their needs. It would greatly enhance the aftermarket and hobbyist scene if the ECU is NOT encrypted. Afterall, if you can't open it, you don't own it!

It most likely will be as this is commonly used to detect and deter from changes which could be in violation of the warranty.

Paul Elio actually even mentioned there being restricted access to the ECU during the EM town hall meeting back in August while discussing that as this engine will be detuned for MPG he wanted to make a kit available as an aftermarket option which would allow Elio owners to load a full power tune. This would likely be done using an Android/iOS app with an adapter and be locked to your VIN.

As they already plan to have this app one solution to encryption would be if the app could also decrypt the ECU to allow open access. This would allow EM to maintain control for warranty purposes while also allowing Elio owners the option to decrypt their ECU.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Aw, come on EZ, give EM a break. We've known this was possible since early last year. I was told it when I visited the Elio in Michigan this past summer.Besides, I'm not even legal to drive the day gone thing till the laws get changed here in OHIO. Transparency, YEA, they have been transparent with us. But, something both the giver and the receiver just don't want to bone up. Besides, I'm not ready to bone up on this yet, there was another article posted just today that said production will start MID-YEAR. Hang in there buddy. Heart attacks aren't fun.
Not only will you maybe have to wear a helmet if you're under 21 in Ohio (though I doubt it), you WILL NOT be able to buy the car in Ohio under the current (and newly revised) law. The state legislature made an exception for Tesla then slammed the door on anybody else to sell cars here WITHOUT SETTING UP A FRANCHISED DEALERSHIP.

EM acknowledges this reality, mumbles they're pursuing it, but -- if you live in Ohio, you will wind up buying your car in kentucky or going to Shreveport to pick it up. Sorry if you don't like this, but it is the law -- and no way will Ohio back off the newly-revised law they just passed last May, no matter how much EM beg and whine.

And yes, it pisses me off, but the voters in this state are all Republicans, so we get what we deserve.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It most likely will be as this is commonly used to detect and deter from changes which could be in violation of the warranty.

Paul Elio actually even mentioned there being restricted access to the ECU during the EM town hall meeting back in August while discussing that as this engine will be detuned for MPG he wanted to make a kit available as an aftermarket option which would allow Elio owners to load a full power tune. This would likely be done using an Android/iOS app with an adapter and be locked to your VIN.

As they already plan to have this app one solution to encryption would be if the app could also decrypt the ECU to allow open access. This would allow EM to maintain control for warranty purposes while also allowing Elio owners the option to decrypt their ECU.
I'll be right in line for this one!

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The reporter, Lewis Wallace, responded to me last night.

I asked him:
"Twice in the article you mentioned production will start in early 2016. That is new info. It appears you had a chance to visit with both Don Harris and Jerome Vassallo. Did one of them convey the new date?"

His response:
"To be honest, I don't remember exactly who said that - don't have my notes on me right now - but that was what they were saying. I talked to those guys as well as others from Elio."
So, there you are. Unsourced, crowd-supplied information. Wonderful reporting we have these days, just wonderful.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll see what kind of answers I can squeeze out from them this Saturday.

1) When do you expect the first public reports of the engine performance?
2) When will the first build of a crash test vehicle be started? Is there a schedule for the first test? Who will conduct the tests?
3) When will the first Elio start on the assembly line? How committed is that date?
4) Could the federal financing guarantee timing affect the production schedule?
5) What is the desired target level for total first year reservations? Will you produce more than that?

Also want to know;
Has any fleet sales customers asked for interesting options; Like a turbo, emergency lighting or a hitch?
How do you feel about the Fan-Created Elio options online?
Anything else you think would be fun to see illustrated?
Any hint of competition yet, anywhere in the world?

Anything to add folks?

If they see me coming and duck, I'll know they read this. On the other hand, they could hand me a preprinted answer sheet, and then I'll KNOW they read these forums!

If I like the result, I could update my article at www.3wheelers.com .
Great questions. Keep pressing for answers.

Top Bottom