• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
one heck of a basketball game last night between Duke and UNC at Cameron .... Duke pulled it out by 2 in overtime

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I bought a replacement GPS this week, but need to find reasonable cords for it.
A big step up from my old handheld though!

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I bought a replacement GPS this week, but need to find reasonable cords for it.
A big step up from my old handheld though!

How are the stand-alone GPS systems? I have always used my phone's GPS and a navigation app on a window mount when driving. Do you know if they are comparable?

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've had several over the years. This one is the Garmin eTrex Legend. It has tracking capabilities, as well as road maps on it. I bought it used and the power and connetors for the computer didn't come with it.

So far is seems really accurate. While the screen is smaller than the ones I have for a car, it seems to work just as well. It has no "voice", so it can't tell me when a turn is coming up, but that isn't what I bought it for anyway.

I track. I'm on the search team at work and do a lot of it. This one has fairly nice maps included in it, therefore allowing me to "look ahead" as I go. If I see there's a road over the hill I can radio in coordinates so others can leap frog in front of me.

The screen is much smaller than the car only versions, and only chrome green and black screens, not full color. The accuracy was down to -2 ft during one of my test walks. Not do darned bad, IMO.

Phone GPS systems work well, they update all the time, but you usually pay a fee somewhere in the mix. When I'm out I carry a good old fashion compass, an electric compass that includes weather information, and a GPS. I have to replace batteries every so often, but am never lost. LOL

Top Bottom