• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My oldest son goes Geo Caching from time to time. Sounds like fun.

My cousin from Dallas is BIGTIME into Geocaching. I had never heard of it, but sure enough, there was like three different caches within a 1/4 mile of my house when she came up for a week. She and her husband have been all over the US caching and going to events. Good reason for a roadtrip I guess.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I keep hearing about Geocaching,, what is it?????? Like a Easter Egg hunt? Gotta Link for some readin?
You use coordinates and GPS (I use my phone and the app "geocaching". It's icon is a green square divided in 4 white squares with a little white stick figure and a 'x' ) to find hidden caches. They have no value but are usually found in neat public places. It is fun for both adults and kids.

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I keep hearing about Geocaching,, what is it?????? Like a Easter Egg hunt? Gotta Link for some readin?

People stash things, usually a weather resistant box with paper and pencil in it to add your name. They note the location by the coordinates on a GPS, then post them so others can find the "prize". One I found had hard candy with a note to "take one", as well as the list of earlier searchers.
Usually the box is placed slightly out of sight, so when you arrive at the coordinates you have to look around. Easter provided you with all you need at this point. LOL.

BTW, you have to be careful what type of coordinates are listed. Standard or otherwise. Some use military numbers, this often cuts out the less experienced.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Easter egg hunt seems like a pretty good analogy. The 'caches' I saw were either small cases (one was a locking plastic pistol case), or magnetic key lockers. The smaller ones just have a 'scroll' inside that you sign and date. The bigger ones, like the pistol case, had some random cheap crap in it like little toys and a broken pair of sunglasses and a scroll to sign. I think the rule is, if you take something, you have to leave something. The cache locations are downloaded to your GPS from their website and give coordinates and a riddle for a clue as to where exactly the cache sits. I think once you find it, you get points somehow. Not really my thing, but my cuz lives for it. To each, their own.

Top Bottom