• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

2017 Nascar Season Thread

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
As for seats full in the stands, the place is about 1/2 empty.
They get their money from TV now, so they don't necessarily need to fill the stands.
The TV money is far more then the full stands ever brought in.
Look at places like Bristol; they used to be sold out 6 or 7 years into the future; now, day of the race, you can go and get good seats that day.
<sigh>
There are very few places that sell out any more, those that do, are getting few and far between.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
double overtime .... green -- white -- checker .... heck of a finish for what was otherwise a ho-hum race .... Jimmie drove the heck out of his car as it was blowing up .... congrats to the 5 team, a win that might save his ride .... my girl got in the top 10 during the 3rd stage but had problems with the series of late restarts and finish 11th

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it was a fitting end to a race that took all day.
But they said, it was either hold the flashing lights till Kasey got past, or call the race because of darkness.
I'm glad they did it the way they did.
And Great for Kasey! His job was really in question, he hasn't had a win in 3 years (2014 was his last win), and there were a lot of rumors circulating.
This win at least got him some time, let's hope he can do something productive with it.
Over all, it wasn't a bad race, but wasn't all that great either; you could tell by the number of people in the stands.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
the first two stages were dogs .... almost no passing or lead changes .... in their admitted effort to make all cars equal they have killed innovation

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
the first two stages were dogs .... almost no passing or lead changes .... in their admitted effort to make all cars equal they have killed innovation
In their admitted effort to make all cars equal they have almost succeeded. I am reminded of Petty's statement about his Hemi. He said, "of course it's stock. I've spent $20,000 checking it out." I am sure the tradition of checking cars out to insure that they are stock will prevail.

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
double overtime .... green -- white -- checker .... heck of a finish for what was otherwise a ho-hum race .... Jimmie drove the heck out of his car as it was blowing up .... congrats to the 5 team, a win that might save his ride .... my girl got in the top 10 during the 3rd stage but had problems with the series of late restarts and finish 11th

Thanks for the review. I couldn't find her very often. I think she would have to ride on the roof to get a camera to follow her.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the review. I couldn't find her very often. I think she would have to ride on the roof to get a camera to follow her.
That's NBC coverage, they only look for the lead, the next closest "pack" or who crashed; they can't be bothered with the rest of the field.
NBC lacks; is the best way I can put it, they don't know how to follow a race, and all the little things going on, they have to talk to what they think the crowd wants. Problem is, the sample group they pick doesn't know racing, they only think people want to see potential winners.
The TV has been going downhill since the change at the helm; remember when Brian first came on? He thought people were still into the "Tuner" phase of cars (little POS cars with wings) and found out soon after, that's not what people wanted to see on the track.
They didn't know then, and they still haven't learned anything.

Top Bottom