• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

4 Wheel Elio???

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What makes it an Elio, the 3 wheels or high MPG for a low price?
An Elio is exactly what we see. It is a unique vehicle that for many reasons is absolutely different from anything else that is currently available. I believe everything that you have listed is codependent on the other. For example, if they could have sold a four wheel vehicle for this price point they would have because it would have been much easier. If they add another wheel the price goes up dramatically. More suspension components, another tire and wheel, increased unsprung weight to accelerate and decelerate and wider rear body section to allow the extra components. All of that will add cost and decrease the ability to achieve high mileage fuel economy. Not to mention the increased regulatory restraints which would have the byproduct of increased cost as well.

Coda1

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I could get a 90% American made 4 wheel car the size of a Geo Metro that would get 60mpg for around $11,000 I would choose it over the current Elio. Problem is it doesn't exist. I don't know if it could be done or not but no one is even trying. If Elio is successful in with their 3 wheeled version I wouldn't be surprised to see them bring out a sub compact car in five years. The Elio isn't what I want but it is closer then anything else being made. It will be fine for about 95% of my driving. I'll just have to have another vehicle sitting around for the times the Elio won't work.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If I could get a 90% American made 4 wheel car the size of a Geo Metro that would get 60mpg for around $11,000 I would choose it over the current Elio. Problem is it doesn't exist. I don't know if it could be done or not but no one is even trying. If Elio is successful in with their 3 wheeled version I wouldn't be surprised to see them bring out a sub compact car in five years. The Elio isn't what I want but it is closer then anything else being made. It will be fine for about 95% of my driving. I'll just have to have another vehicle sitting around for the times the Elio won't work.
Or you could rent a car for those times. Especially if they rarely occur. That is what I plan to do. The Elio will be my only car. :-) Z

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yup, it does seem like obnoxious noise is more important than actual performance these days. At least that craze about spinner wheels is gone.
Yep it's obnoxious, however I cut 'em a little slack. Wanting to mod cars is an all American red blooded thing. The days of bolting on a new carb are long gone. (see excessive useless regulation) So the do what they can do and unfortunately without big bucks it's cosmetic only.

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've backed into a fire hydrant also a low reseved parking sign about 1 ft high and 6 or7 seven inches wide.. the dam thing was my private spot..Go figure..
I hate it when there's a fire hydrant in my private spot.

Top Bottom