• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

4 Wheel Elio???

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The rear blind spot is not nearly as big as people think it is. This is another instance where the fact that the vehicle is so narrow really helps but it also makes it something you may have to see in person to really understand.
Remember the mirrors are already much closer together than any car so there is not possibility of a car sneaking in behind you without you seeing it. The rear blind spot is below the rear deck and is cone shaped starting as wide as the vehicle and extending back only about five feet. Elio drivers will really have better rear vision than most cars on the road.
This vehicle truly does not need any rear vision device other than the side mirrors. But if it makes people feel better I am sure they will have a camera option or you can add one yourself easily.
I've backed into a fire hydrant also a low reseved parking sign about 1 ft high and 6 or7 seven inches wide.. the dam thing was my private spot..Go figure..

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like you would be a great candidate for a rear view camera. :eek:
Or a drivers liscence with a no reverse restriction .. Question .. Do they make rear cameras that are always on ? I think on any vehicle a wide angle one would be better than a rear view mirror..Not that I'd expect GM or Ford to change a 120 year old tradition for me, but I'd certainly check that option box when ordering..Seems it would fit in with all the high teck stuff in cars now days..

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My point exactly. I'm 23 and studies have shown that we drive less than previous generations. It's not a pass-time like it used to be. It's just to expensive for it to be anything but a utility to get from point A to point B. The 70+ year olds may still care about looks and "fun" but generally people in my generation don't like paying that much for "fun".
I'd argue that there are a lot of rice burners with coffee can exhaust that would indicate the younger crowd values fun more than you think. The generations just go about it differently. That noise and exhaust and fancy wheels and TurboTax aren't necessary to get from point A to point B.

Doni

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I'd argue that there are a lot of rice burners with coffee can exhaust that would indicate the younger crowd values fun more than you think. The generations just go about it differently. That noise and exhaust and fancy wheels and TurboTax aren't necessary to get from point A to point B.

I'm not saying people don't still do that sort of thing, it's just not nearly as popular as it used to be.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/u...l=1&adxnnlx=1397419517-ayMMGYxxNCtjVR0zddEFIw

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm with Paul Elio. One rear wheel is all I need. It just holds the rear end of my new car off the road. :)
There is some merit to that.. Tires are also considered anchors, when cornering fast if the rear wheel hits a slippery spot your ass end could slide around easier than if another had a dry bite .. Again this a reason folks should be required to study up and get a motorcycle endorsement .. Also the sradle pot hole betwween front tires can / could sink your rear tire and cause damage.. Again not saying it's unsafe , only stating people who have no motorcycle experience should be aware of the biker saftey..

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Although not probable; it is always 'possible', since Elio Motors already plans to meet all AUTOMOTIVE emission standards, and safety requirements, including crash testing, and have a rear camera as an option...... so the R&D is already mostly done. Sure PRICE would increase, but besides the increased capacity, they could add sliding doors, and other features to make a LX model. And there is always the Convertible model (having front and rear 'roll bars'), with 4 wheels would be a mini-F1 racer. But years down the line, if ever. I've seen PLENTY of comments of people that want a 'Performance' model!

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Although not probable; it is always 'possible', since Elio Motors already plans to meet all AUTOMOTIVE emission standards, and safety requirements, including crash testing, and have a rear camera as an option...... so the R&D is already mostly done. Sure PRICE would increase, but besides the increased capacity, they could add sliding doors, and other features to make a LX model. And there is always the Convertible model (having front and rear 'roll bars'), with 4 wheels would be a mini-F1 racer. But years down the line, if ever. I've seen PLENTY of comments of people that want a 'Performance' model!
Someone mentioned the old Chey Vega .. it was a true piece of shit .. But.. For many years i saw them at drag strips with big block blown engines turning 7 second quater mile runs.. Well the Elio is NOT a piece of shit.. It has a hidden roll bar, so I predict soon after it hits the streets speed freaks will be pimping the hell out of them.. When I go to Daytona and Sturgis bike week I see plenty of ordinary motorcycles that have 350 and larger v8's installed where little 2 cylinder v twins used to be..I'm looking forward to seeing what custom and hot rod shops come up with on these new toys..

Top Bottom