• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

4 Wheel Elio???

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not so fast. It's very hard to prove a negative. There might be one but I agree that it's unlikely. The addition of a camera isn't the reason it won't happen though. I can't imagine adding the equivalent of a cellphone camera to the back and a small screen in the front would add much to the cost.

Also if they do come out with a 4 wheeler that doesn't necessarily mean they'll stop production of the 3 wheeled ones.
I don't believe the point of adding a rear view camera was the final regulatory upgrade that ruined the total experience. It was an example how many, many, many years of regulations have handicapped the automotive industry to the point that an affordable car is no longer a possibility. The Elio has found a creative loophole and they are demonstrating that a company doesn't need a regulatory body to mandate features to achieve a reliable, safe and affordable vehicle. Paul Elio is entrepreneurial motivation at it's finest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Question .. Do they make rear cameras that are always on ?

You can wire any rear camera to turn on with a switch. The camera/ monitors are activated by the reverse light circuit on most cars. You can duplicate that by adding a switch to activate it and a diode to isolate it from the reverse light circuit.

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You can wire any rear camera to turn on with a switch. The camera/ monitors are activated by the reverse light circuit on most cars. You can duplicate that by adding a switch to activate it and a diode to isolate it from the reverse light circuit.

This is why installers make a fortune off of me..i have no idea wtf that means

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't believe the point of adding a rear view camera was the final regulatory upgrade that ruined the total experience. It was an example how many, many, many years of regulations have handicapped the automotive industry to the point that an affordable car is no longer a possibility. The Elio has found a creative loophole and they are demonstrating that a company doesn't need a regulatory body to mandate features to achieve a reliable, safe and affordable vehicle. Paul Elio is entrepreneurial motivation at it's finest!

I'll hold off any praise for Mr Elio until I receive also satisfied driving his product..

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd argue that there are a lot of rice burners with coffee can exhaust that would indicate the younger crowd values fun more than you think. The generations just go about it differently. That noise and exhaust and fancy wheels and TurboTax aren't necessary to get from point A to point B.
Yup, it does seem like obnoxious noise is more important than actual performance these days. At least that craze about spinner wheels is gone.

Top Bottom