• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

4 Wheel Elio???

Doni

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I think once Elio gets it's "foot in the door" with this high mpg vehicle, they might turn to other models - although I don't think they would necessarily stop making this 3 wheeled version.

We need to consider that others will need more than 2 seats and the small amount of storage that this version provides. Once I get back to the states I'll definitely be getting this Elio but I don't have kids and my wife will still have a "normal" vehicle.

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think once Elio gets it's "foot in the door" with this high mpg vehicle, they might turn to other models - although I don't think they would necessarily stop making this 3 wheeled version.

We need to consider that others will need more than 2 seats and the small amount of storage that this version provides. Once I get back to the states I'll definitely be getting this Elio but I don't have kids and my wife will still have a "normal" vehicle.
Correct..I do not plan on giving up my "normal" vehicles ..Be nice not to wear them out and having to trade every 2 years I'll have a 7k beater for mox-nix driving that I won't be ashamed of being seen in..Nothing and I mean nothing stresses me out more thn arm wrestling and listening to a dealers bull-shit when trading in an automobile..If I can delay that task from 2 to 4 years I'd be one happy camper..

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One of the fascinations about the Elio is that it will be the motorcycle substitute for me since my wife has banned motorcycles. Hopefully, I will get a few similar sensations and pleasures from touring around in my Elio. I am confident that a 4-wheel Elio would eliminate any possibility of the pleasure I got from my motorcycles.

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There will never be a 4 wheel Elio. Add one more wheel and it's a car. Now you have to live up to every car regulation conceived. The latest if you've been paying attention is the idiotic addition of rear view cameras to every car. The concept of a simple car is dead in this country so the concept of "affordable fun car" is dead as well.

Doni

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
There will never be a 4 wheel Elio. Add one more wheel and it's a car. Now you have to live up to every car regulation conceived. The latest if you've been paying attention is the idiotic addition of rear view cameras to every car. The concept of a simple car is dead in this country so the concept of "affordable fun car" is dead as well.

Not so fast. It's very hard to prove a negative. There might be one but I agree that it's unlikely. The addition of a camera isn't the reason it won't happen though. I can't imagine adding the equivalent of a cellphone camera to the back and a small screen in the front would add much to the cost.

Also if they do come out with a 4 wheeler that doesn't necessarily mean they'll stop production of the 3 wheeled ones.

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not so fast. It's very hard to prove a negative. ....Snip
No but you can use logic. A 4 wheel Elio might be much like the 70's Vega.

Don't laugh. It was sporty looking. Useful as all get out, put the back seat down and you could haul a 4x8 sheet of plywood. You could reach down and change the spark plugs with one of those 49 cent stamped metal spark plug wrenches. and of course it got decent gas millage. I know poor sheet metal they rusted as you stood their watching, however everything else fit the concept of an affordable car that's not boring.

You would not be allowed to build that car today. A cheep camera not only increases material cost but R&D and labor as well. The cheep camera is only the tip of the iceberg and it all adds up. Emissions get way more complicated when you add that 4th wheel. I could go on and on and on but, the bottom line is the AFFORDABLE FUN concept and 4 wheels will never meet.

(Changed my mind) Actually we can prove it! Just start looking around at all the affordable fun cars that are allowed everywhere else in the wold but can't be imported to the U.S. Ever seen that 4 wheel amphibious motorcycle? I'd love to have that if there weren't an army of bureaucrats standing in the way!

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One of the fascinations about the Elio is that it will be the motorcycle substitute for me since my wife has banned motorcycles. Hopefully, I will get a few similar sensations and pleasures from touring around in my Elio. I am confident that a 4-wheel Elio would eliminate any possibility of the pleasure I got from my motorcycles.
Yep ..you can remove the front window.. Roll down the sides.. hell you can take off the fenders.and cut the complete top off and be in a comfortable american made trike cheaper than riding one dem der Jap Crap sissy bikes.. Gonna catch hell from metric bikers for this.. Bring it on, if ya piss me off I'll tell my mommy..She rides a Harley also..

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I could see a scenario where Elio added a 4th wheel sort of like the Tomahawk motorcycle had (two wheels very close together in the back. They could widen the back just a little to make it a little more grocery friendly and the extra wheel would make it a car. It would have to meet safety standards officially then but may attract the portion of the population who shunned the original because it "isn't as safe as a car". The second model would be a bit later though. I could see some people wanting to be able to put a weeks worth of groceries in the thing.

Doni

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
A cheep camera not only increases material cost but R&D and labor as well. The cheep camera is only the tip of the iceberg and it all adds up.

So sell it more expensive. If people can afford it and need the space, let them buy it. They could get a different car altogether but Elio shouldn't close that door altogether. Again, this doesn't mean they would stop selling the "fun" 3 wheeled version.

the bottom line is the AFFORDABLE FUN concept and 4 wheels will never meet.

Affordable changes from person to person. What is affordable to me may not be to you and vice versa. Also I never claimed it would be "fun".

I'd love to have that if there weren't an army of bureaucrats standing in the way!

I'd like clean air more than I'd like a "fun" ride. To me, vehicles are simple transportation. If they serve that purpose at an affordable price then I'll use it. My guess is I'm in a different generation than many people on this forum. Generally, we don't buy cars for fun or form but for function.

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
....Major Snippage..My guess is I'm in a different generation than many people on this forum. Generally, we don't buy cars for fun or form but for function.
My guess is you won't find to many Elio customers who agree with that, and I've seen comments from 70+ year olds worried they won't make it to production. They aren't worried about function.

Top Bottom