• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

9/6/2014 - Gas2: Paul Elio’s Trike Will Baby – Will That Make A Difference

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I find it interesting that everywhere on Elio Motors web site .. http://www.eliomotors.com/ .. that I see $6,800* it is written with an * .... I'm sure an explanation for the * is found somewhere on the site but I haven't found it .... as a point of contrast, where 84 MPG Highway is mentioned, I haven't seen an * .... that would seem to imply that they are more confident in the mileage than they are in the cost

Jim
*not to include shipping, options, etc.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
*not to include shipping, options, etc.

10-4 .... glad it was there and I just didn't see it .... in another post (possibly in another thread) someone questioned Elio Motors marketing $6,800 in a manner that makes it seem set in stone .... in much the same way it does 84MPG .... yes in the fine print somewhere it is supposed to be made clear that those numbers are goals .... fine print serves as a "got'ya" and I don't like to think of Elio Motors as a got'ya type of company

Jim

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Texconsin --- Don't get too excited over this statement. In this particular exchange Paul stated that if they were in production and went on sale TODAY they would get 81 mph and cost $7300 and he was holding the engineers "feet to the fire" for efficiency improvements and shaving costs. 84/6800 are the goals and they're pretty damned close. Another wild card is the HVAC system. Seems they can't find an American supplier for the quantity the need so they may have to buy foreign. Could be a saving there.

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Texconsin --- Don't get too excited over this statement. In this particular exchange Paul stated that if they were in production and went on sale TODAY they would get 81 mph and cost $7300 and he was holding the engineers "feet to the fire" for efficiency improvements and shaving costs. 84/6800 are the goals and they're pretty damned close. Another wild card is the HVAC system. Seems they can't find an American supplier for the quantity the need so they may have to buy foreign. Could be a saving there.
If I could buy a car TODAY that seated 2, had heat and air, kept the rain off my head (no motorcycle) cruise control, intermittent wipers and a radio, got anywhere near 70 mpg on the highway, even sometimes, I would gladly pay $10,000 TODAY. I don't want to wait a year. I want it TODAY!

Edward43

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If they're actually that close to their target figures at this point in time, I'm very impressed. 81 mpg @ $7300 would not be a deal breaker for me. I paid slightly more than double that amount for my Fit (a year old when I got it) and if I'm lucky, it gets about 38 mpg on the highway.
I doubt that Paul Elio did not anticipate pressure on these numbers in the beginning. I also doubt that the time frame would be so extended, however, with 90 percent of population, and policy, strapped to the back of gravity. Why would he not give it a sincere try. Bean Counters, (like those in gov.) are rarely on the same page, and the time makes them a little frothy. Turning down the heat, and staying focused on the original goal will help the Elio goal come to pass. At this time in history, there are unknown benefits to holding the line when so many are willing to accept upward pressure. Henry Ford did it, they did it with the Spirit of St. Louis, and the Elio Team will do it.

Karg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes and Henry Ford had a lot less government regulation to deal with. I understand that he was to deal with too, it must have been those 5 cent cigars he was smoking.

Top Bottom