• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Aerodynamic Hard Shell "saddle Bags?

lkptpete

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Needs a class 3 (2") receiver per the site.
Quote from description of the Eco model: The Swivelwheel-ECO is an economy model single wheel transport system designed to transportsmall light weight (up to 500 Lbs) items behind most towing vehicles including those with Class-I and Class-II receiver hitchs.

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That site contradicts itself. Further down the page it says they are not available.

At any rate, I personally don't like the single wheel idea behind an Elio. It's depending on the tow vehicle for roll stability, and is gonna cause a lot of torsional stress on the frame transmitting that load to the front of the E.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score

rmcelroy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll be there!
I live in E.Tenn.
I wanted to say, If you can turn a HF trailer & a rooftop box into a cargo trailer, I think you could make your own "one wheel" aero-trailer! You just need a small drive-shaft yoke (with square tube welded to the yoke) and "U-joint" built into the tongue. Use a square tube receiver hitch on your Elio. For the box, they make a long & narrow box. Ruffly 2' wide by 6-7' long (Wal-Mart). A 10" or 12" trailer wheel and spindle for the rear (HF or Northern Tool). :cool:
If you can cut and weld, I think it can be done for under $500. :cool: :cool:
I dont have the tools for cutting and welding steel, aluminum construction is a different animal, the teardrop in my avitar is homemade.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
G1, I do metal fab for a living. You show me the mounting surface, I'll have brackets in your hands in days.
I like all this talk of a rear or saddle bag attachment modifications for the Elio. But I must admit I'm more enthused about finding the hard points for attaching rooftop rack of some sort. Even if those hard points turn out to be on the lower structure and strutted up to some sort of a rack on the roof. So I would hope to request any research from you and Goofyone for those hardpoints if you please. Certainly all in good time of course as the Elio rolls out.

PS I'm always leery putting anything or any weight behind the rear wheel. Especially a three wheeler. It destroys or plays to much with the design geometry in my book.

Last edited:

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like all this talk of a rear or saddle bag attachment modifications for the Elio. But I must admit I'm more enthused about finding the hard points for attaching rooftop rack of some sort. Even if those hard points turn out to be on the lower structure and strutted up to some sort of a rack on the roof. So I would hope to request any research from you and Goofyone for those hardpoints if you please. Certainly all in good time of course as the Elio rolls out.

PS I'm always leery putting anything or any weight behind the rear wheel. Especially a three wheeler. It destroys or plays to much with the design geometry in my book.

We will have to see when there's a production model to look over. Nothings impossible.

FWIW, I'd personally rather have the weight out back and low than centered and high. To each their own.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
[QUOTE="CheeseheadEarl, post: 35233, member: 1129"
FWIW, I'd personally rather have the weight out back and low than centered and high. To each their own.[/QUOTE]

Yes as with all considerations it is all an attempt to compromise with all the forces in play. I just happen to see the swaying rear wheel caused by too much weight behind the center of gravity as more problematic than any tipping. It has only one wheel to fight the swaying tendency. Of course there is always the idiot who overloads everything and blows the whole idea to hell. Aerodynamically i prefer yours. Weight and volume I got you beat. LOL

Top Bottom