• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Aerodynamic Hard Shell "saddle Bags?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Would blow the whole concept of trying to achieve clean aerodynamics. Clearly using this vehicle for 2-up cross country is something it wasn't designed for. This is just a guess on my part but I would think you'd get better MPG pulling a small motorcycle trailer. Or just buy your wife a bus ticket and have her meet you there :D
The small MC trailer would be the ultimate option.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not to mention that every police officer you pass is going to pull you over for hiding your license plate.....

Anytime I carried luggage behind the mini van, I would move the plate to the back edge of the carrier. In over 10 years I never got pulled over. The license plate could just as easily be re-mounted onto the box. :)

rmcelroy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I created a simple trailer for a miata by combining a 4x4 Harbor freight trailer and a turtle topper. I bolted the turtle down with T nuts so I could have a flat trailer if needed. Thats what I'll prolly do again, I would like one of those fancy one wheeled MC trailers but dont need the lean and don't want to spend the money. Utility trailer tag and light harness addresses problems.
I do see two up traveling with this vehicle.

Who all will be at the first Elio weekend at the dragon.

btw: I actually towed the Teardrop in my avitar with my Miata.

Last edited:

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think I'll need additional saddlebags or a trailer because I'm going to find a motel with a nice bed for the night. Maybe it's the old Boy Scout coming out in me but I think I'll teach my wife how to pack tight so we can get a long weekend's gear in a couple of sub-bags and maybe a thin hanging bag (for dressier stuff if we're going somewhere nice on the trip) that'll all fold and fit in the small trunk space.

Turn your jeans inside out, lay flat, fold one leg 90° to the side at the knee, fold over at the center seam, then roll up tightly. Turn that leg sticking out inside-out over your roll to produce a tight tube of denim that won't wrinkle. Golf shirts and tops can be folded normally, then carefully rolled too. Don't pack an extra pair of shoes in your bags, stuff them with socks and put in those flannel bags that come with your shoes. Pack an empty drawstring plastic bag with a ziplock bag of powdered laundry soap inside if you're planning to do wash on the road. Packing several separate soft bags lets you "fit" them efficiently.

Pack a small "chuck box" and a small cooler with a couple of drinks each and nuts or crackers, cheese, or packaged chicken or tuna salad with a couple of plastic bowls, spoons, and paper towels for impromptu picnics enroute - it's cheaper than most roadfood and 'way healthier too. Pack a bag for any trash you produce - you don't want to leave anything but footprints and take anything but pictures . . .

Speaking of . . . be sure to take your camera - or at least figure out how to take great pictures with your phone. You can "Photoshop" them later (I usually use the free Irfanview sftw if I'm in a hurry - to crop, and color-correct my on-the-run photos once I'm back home.)

I also carry a small pair of good-quality binoculars for spotting wildlife, and a pair of FRS radios to keep in touch with my wife while shopping or trekking in the woods. Cell phones aren't always reliable in the back country, and these things are cheap and handier.

Of course you've already fitted out your Elio with a good GPS system that covers the back country to help you find your way OUT of whatever out-of-the way spot you got yourself into. 2-lane adventures, even soft-roading can get you LOST in a hurry, especially if you're not blessed with a good sense of direction. ;)

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think I'll need additional saddlebags or a trailer because I'm going to find a motel with a nice bed for the night. Maybe it's the old Boy Scout coming out in me but I think I'll teach my wife how to pack tight so we can get a long weekend's gear in a couple of sub-bags and maybe a thin hanging bag (for dressier stuff if we're going somewhere nice on the trip) that'll all fold and fit in the small trunk space.

Turn your jeans inside out, lay flat, fold one leg 90° to the side, fold over at the center seam, then roll up tightly. Turn that leg sticking out inside-out over your roll to produce a tight tube of denim that won't wrinkle. Golf shirts and tops can be folded normally, then carefully rolled too. Don't pack an extra pair of shoes in your bags, stuff them with socks and put in those flannel bags that come with your shoes. Pack an empty drawstring plastic bag with a ziplock bag of powdered laundry soap inside if you're planning to do wash on the road. Packing several separate soft bags lets you "fit" them efficiently.

Pack a small "chuck box" and a small cooler with a couple of drinks each and nuts or crackers, cheese, or packaged chicken or tuna salad with a couple of plastic bowls, spoons, and paper towels for impromptu picnics enroute - it's cheaper than most roadfood and 'way healthier too. Pack a bag for any trash you produce - you don't want to leave anything but footprints and take anything but pictures . . .

Speaking of . . . be sure to take your camera - or at least figure out how to take great pictures with your phone. You can "Photoshop" them later (I usually use the free Irfanview sftw if I'm in a hurry - to crop, and color-correct my on-the-run photos once I'm back home.)

I also carry a small pair of good-quality binoculars for spotting wildlife, and a pair of FRS radios to keep in touch with my wife while shopping or trekking in the woods. Cell phones aren't always reliable in the back country, and these things are cheap and handier.

Of course you've already fitted out your Elio with a good GPS system that covers the back country to help you find your way OUT of whatever out-of-the way spot you got yourself into. 2-lane adventures, even soft-roading can get you LOST in a hurry, especially if you're not blessed with a good sense of direction. ;)
......and one pair of ExOfficio Travel Underwear.

If I cross country travel in my Elio.......my preference is a nice hotel with creature comforts too......with none of the actual creatures I happened across during my good ole camping days.

I like the receiver hitch trailer or cargo platform option for a bike rack or hauling bulky loads when needed for local big box store shopping adventures. I know Elio is a commuter and not intended for hauling but I personally like the idea of flexible uses to meet my needs........or the needs of an owner when the Elio is their only vehicle.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
......and one pair of ExOfficio Travel Underwear.

If I cross country travel in my Elio.......my preference is a nice hotel with creature comforts too......with none of the actual creatures I happened across during my good ole camping days.

I like the receiver hitch trailer or cargo platform option for a bike rack or hauling bulky loads when needed for local big box store shopping adventures. I know Elio is a commuter and not intended for hauling but I personally like the idea of flexible uses to meet my needs........or the needs of an owner when the Elio is their only vehicle.
I like the underwear idea, but suggesting my wife wear a thong may be life-threatening.

imageon

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Saddle type bags would be less aerodynamic but much less expensive that a trailer. Some of those babies cost half the price of an Elio!
MK

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I created a simple trailer for a miata by combining a 4x4 Harbor freight trailer and a turtle topper. I bolted the turtle down with T nuts so I could have a flat trailer if needed. Thats what I'll prolly do again, I would like one of those fancy one wheeled MC trailers but dont need the lean and don't want to spend the money. Utility trailer tag and light harness addresses problems.
I do see two up traveling with this vehicle.

Who all will be at the first Elio weekend at the dragon.

I'll be there!
I live in E.Tenn.
I wanted to say, If you can turn a HF trailer & a rooftop box into a cargo trailer, I think you could make your own "one wheel" aero-trailer! You just need a small drive-shaft yoke (with square tube welded to the yoke) and "U-joint" built into the tongue. Use a square tube receiver hitch on your Elio. For the box, they make a long & narrow box. Ruffly 2' wide by 6-7' long (Wal-Mart). A 10" or 12" trailer wheel and spindle for the rear (HF or Northern Tool). :cool:
If you can cut and weld, I think it can be done for under $500. :cool: :cool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom