• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Aerodynamic Hard Shell "saddle Bags?

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The front wheels would throw dirt and water straight at this location.
New Nano technology paint. Nothing sticks to it. If chipped or damaged paint re-manufactures itself in place at a microscopic level. Never needs waxing either.

It's so new they've yet to coat a skillet with it. Oh and by the way.......................I just made all that up. LOL
PS welcome from across the pond.

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio isn't a car it's a motorcycle! Frankly, the vehicle someone buys and how they make it function with the available after market options........is their personal choice. There are current after market options for MC's........Saddle Bags........both soft and hard case, trailers, and even camper trailers making a motorcycle more functional on longer trips. The Elio can certainly be as or even more functional than your typical MC. The majority of Elio owners will already own a car, van, or pickup to use at their discretion.

It's as close to a car as it is to a motorcycle and in this part of the world it has it's own separate classification, it's a "bodied tricycle".

Of course it's personal choice what folks do with their own possessions, I certainly never intimated otherwise. My personal choice would be to use the vehicle as it was intended, namely up to two occupants and a small amount of luggage. To put your luggage where it will get covered in water spray and whatever else is on the road makes no sense to me. Where I live and drive, "whatever else" is often wet cow and horse dung, which sticks like....dung. I'd get some disapproving looks (and smells) at work and in the hotel lobby...

This wouldn't occur with panniers on a bike because they aren't in the direct firing line of the front wheel.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With a proper gasket seal - as in my Halliburton or Pelican camera cases - those panniers could be made watertight. Of course they wouldn't be exactly cheap, but those Pelicans are at least reasonable. Plus they're available in sizes, capacities, and colors to handle just about anything you want to carry. Now the aerodynamics need a little work . . .
pel-1600_ems.jpg

DScott

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have used a hitch carrier "platform" (on our Chevy venture) with a waterproof, rectangular, canvas bag. Worked great and had NO negative impact on mileage. So I plan to modify a Platform by narrowing it to the width of the Elio. Ruffly 2' wide by 20" deep. Then make the Box just short of the tail lights and move the license plate onto the box. Or might make it full height and add tail lights to the box, too. Make it like an extension of the body.

what about your tail lights? wouldn't they end up covered?
trunker.jpg

PeteinKC

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I plan on doing double-duty with my Can Am trailer, if I need more room.
As for a trunk or carrier that blocks the rear lights...something like these could be modified to act as extra running/signal/brake lights. I've got them as running/signal lights on my Spyder. As far as I'm concerned, the more visible I am, the better!

Pete

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I plan on doing double-duty with my Can Am trailer, if I need more room.
As for a trunk or carrier that blocks the rear lights...something like these could be modified to act as extra running/signal/brake lights. I've got them as running/signal lights on my Spyder. As far as I'm concerned, the more visible I am, the better!
Pete

I am sure many Elio owners will agree with you about being visible, myself included. I expect lighting accessories to be very popular among Elio owners. We have already had several long running threads discussing adding fender lighting, fog lights, auxiliary running lights, high mounted third brake lights, light modulators, and any number of other lighting and visibility improvements.

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
New Nano technology paint. Nothing sticks to it. If chipped or damaged paint re-manufactures itself in place at a microscopic level. Never needs waxing either.

It's so new they've yet to coat a skillet with it. Oh and by the way.......................I just made all that up. LOL
PS welcome from across the pond.

Silly Willy. :):Do_O Hope all your paint falls off your "whatever." :confused:

Just yanking your chain. :rolleyes:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
As soon as my butt hits the seat of my brand new 2015 licorice Elio, bet cha that some after marketer is working on a bracket to attach Givi cases to the frame of the Elio.
MK

Oh, I already have plenty of bracket ideas. I just need to see the final product to see what will actually work. ;):D

Top Bottom