• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Aerodynamic Hard Shell "saddle Bags?

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With a proper gasket seal - as in my Halliburton or Pelican camera cases - those panniers could be made watertight. Of course they wouldn't be exactly cheap, but those Pelicans are at least reasonable. Plus they're available in sizes, capacities, and colors to handle just about anything you want to carry. Now the aerodynamics need a little work . . .

Waterproof gasket is good, now we just need a portable pressure washer to get the dirt off after the run past the farmyard gate, before carrying them inside.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
G1, I do metal fab for a living. You show me the mounting surface, I'll have brackets in your hands in days.

Thanks, I will definitely have to keep you in mind as this whole Elio project move further along. I can do basic rough metal work in my shop with simple tools such as a drill press and cut off wheel but freely admit that good quality nicely finished metal fab is definitely beyond my skill set and tooling.

Last edited:

lkptpete

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Waterproof gasket is good, now we just need a portable pressure washer to get the dirt off after the run past the farmyard gate, before carrying them inside.
Many motorcycle companies offer soft luggage "saddlebag liners" that you just remove and carry inside so the hard shell bags can remain mounted to the bike. Nothing new. Nice and simple

AllIn5450

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many motorcycle companies offer soft luggage "saddlebag liners" that you just remove and carry inside so the hard shell bags can remain mounted to the bike. Nothing new. Nice and simple
FINALLY
I have a set of leather luggage made and sized to fit the saddlebags and trunk of my Gold Wing.
You get to your location and just pull it out like any kind of soft sided luggage and take that with you.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am hoping for the receiver hitch option........to accommodate a cargo platform for this functional looking GIVI setup for the long road trips. I can visualize this adapting fairly well to the Elio's squared off tail without blocking the tail lights when using the hard case only.
image.jpg image.jpg

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Good option?

Would blow the whole concept of trying to achieve clean aerodynamics. Clearly using this vehicle for 2-up cross country is something it wasn't designed for. This is just a guess on my part but I would think you'd get better MPG pulling a small motorcycle trailer. Or just buy your wife a bus ticket and have her meet you there :D

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Would blow the whole concept of trying to achieve clean aerodynamics. Clearly using this vehicle for 2-up cross country is something it wasn't designed for. This is just a guess on my part but I would think you'd get better MPG pulling a small motorcycle trailer. Or just buy your wife a bus ticket and have her meet you there :D
Or buy her her own Elio. LOL :-) Z

Top Bottom