• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Right. There are laws about having a "video screen in view of the driver during operation of a motor vehicle." I wonder where the cutoff is... I mean, obviously, most cars now have some kind of video screen in view, be it the navigation screen or an information screen. A HUD seems to be okay. How about augmented reality HUD or navigation. How neat would it be if when using maps, the view ahead could be augmented to show you preferred lane of travel for the least traffic or what lane to get into before a turn... or even what businesses are around. Augmented reality windshield. Hmm...

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Right. There are laws about having a "video screen in view of the driver during operation of a motor vehicle." I wonder where the cutoff is... I mean, obviously, most cars now have some kind of video screen in view, be it the navigation screen or an information screen. A HUD seems to be okay. How about augmented reality HUD or navigation. How neat would it be if when using maps, the view ahead could be augmented to show you preferred lane of travel for the least traffic or what lane to get into before a turn... or even what businesses are around. Augmented reality windshield. Hmm...
I think it's OK so long as you're not watching "I Love Lucy".

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
My neighbor is a State Patrol; in his car he has a laptop mounted to his right and inline with the dash.
I asked why is it that State Patrol can have a laptop within viewing range, and regular drivers cant?
The answer; they have been trained to drive with it, and it is for "business" not personal entertainment.

As good an answer as there is I guess

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IIRC, this first became an issue back in the 60's, when tiny TVs became possible, and some taxi drivers had them installed in their cars to pass the time between fares. It was apparently a safety issue (ya think?) so they became banned. I think it's state-by-state, not a national ban, though.

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Our problem would be that if a guidance system told my wife to "turn left", she would "turn left".:D (she doesn't read this forum)

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't find a lot of difference between them; A8 seems to be the most popular.
A8 all use a piece of film on your windshield to help you see it with out the double image, but both of them plug into the OBD II port on your car
Here's a video on an A8

And a video for a WO2 unit (notice they show it at night)

<Hope you speak Russian>

And while looking for those how about just cool stuff for the car (warning, not all of it is cool, some, very meh)

DikiJ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can't find a lot of difference between them; A8 seems to be the most popular.
A8 all use a piece of film on your windshield to help you see it with out the double image, but both of them plug into the OBD II port on your car
Here's a video on an A8

And a video for a WO2 unit (notice they show it at night)

<Hope you speak Russian>

And while looking for those how about just cool stuff for the car (warning, not all of it is cool, some, very meh)

Thank you and Merry Christmas.

Top Bottom