• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Altc Designs

Do you like this first design?

• Total voters

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That image is where I'm stopped at the moment. It's a bit of a test-trial up to now. Right now. the dams are about 5in to 8in tall. The initial cardboard size has to be bigger than the intended matching dam, which is also bigger than the peer matching dam., which I wasn't sure about. And on the dam face there are 'indexers' and maybe bolting locations to accommodate. Once all mold segments are cast, I can trim the dams down. These dam areas are just for matching up mold segments. The actual mold surface is at minimum 3 layers of cloth and epoxy. I could go up to ten or make ribs where I decide I need stiffness to secure the form geometery. But since the form is so curvy, it's likely to be self-stable in most areas with out much ribbing.

What I call an indexer is a bulging feature on the dam face that keeps the mold segments in alignment. I'm leaning now more towards using clamps on the dams during actual part fabrication rather than bolts, since I find I can make indexers a lot smaller and more sure than I thought.

Eventually I may be able to keep the damns down to 2 or 3 inches, but I've not concluded on the results yet.

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why is it that we did not see anything like this when the Elio body panels were being built?
Just one day UPS shows up with the panels. Sign here sir.

No, really, How were the body panels made?
For Elio Motors, time IS money, and need to be able to replace it on the fly, so initially they could have machine made tooling. This is like RIM molding processes if I remember right.
{Rim tooling}

Last edited:

Karnaj

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That image is where I'm stopped at the moment. It's a bit of a test-trial up to now. Right now. the dams are about 5in to 8in tall. The initial cardboard size has to be bigger than the intended matching dam, which is also bigger than the peer matching dam., which I wasn't sure about. And on the dam face there are 'indexers' and maybe bolting locations to accommodate. Once all mold segments are cast, I can trim the dams down. These dam areas are just for matching up mold segments. The actual mold surface is at minimum 3 layers of cloth and epoxy. I could go up to ten or make ribs where I decide I need stiffness to secure the form geometery. But since the form is so curvy, it's likely to be self-stable in most areas with out much ribbing.

What I call an indexer is a bulging feature on the dam face that keeps the mold segments in alignment. I'm leaning now more towards using clamps on the dams during actual part fabrication rather than bolts, since I find I can make indexers a lot smaller and more sure than I thought.

Eventually I may be able to keep the damns down to 2 or 3 inches, but I've not concluded on the results yet.
Sounds like a lot of dam work :drum:

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I spotted a reference to this government policy change, link below.
It could mean that low volume boutique manufacturers could build small vehicles using Elio's engine. My Atlantric could be one, ya never know!

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-114hr2675ih/content-detail.html

I'll have to find the link later, but there was something about the Low Volume Manufacturing grant that Delorean was getting to build new 'old' cars. Selling for less than $100k. :eek:

I'll pass.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That law only applies to "replicars". i.e. you have to have the body styling of a car that was last made more than 25 years ago, and have the permission of the original producer/rights owner unless you can prove it was abandoned more than 3 years ago. And you have to use a certified crate engine, or a tested engine used by a demonstrably similar model. Everything under the skin could be completely new and original, but so long as the skin resembles a historic car, you're good. If you make a new style body that is not from a historic model, you don't qualify.

The jalopnik article on it has a pretty good summation of the restrictions.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm always playing with the ideas. ... variations on variation. This one is a single seater inspired by the 50's. Well maybe a seat and one-half at best... This is a very small vehicle.
Just couldn't leave this thread to die I guess. Before I wire this one in 3d solid modeling, just wanted a verification in clay.

20161230_184805.jpg
20161230_184855.jpg
20161230_184919.jpg
20161230_184947.jpg
20161230_213235.jpg
20161230_213257.jpg
20161230_222416.jpg

Top Bottom