• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Altc Designs

Do you like this first design?

• Total voters

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
lol, yes it has a mean grit your teeth look. Need to play with that a bit, clay is good for that.
It's always a debate on if a smile or or other treatment is more attractive. I simply added the grill in an old style and it ended up completing a face as it did.
So take a photo for reference and try some changes.
What is best usually is a look that is somewhat indeterminate so the beholder can see what they want to see. Impressionism ya know.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
lol, yes it has a mean grit your teeth look. Need to play with that a bit, clay is good for that.
It's always a debate on if a smile or or other treatment is more attractive. I simply added the grill in an old style and it ended up completing a face as it did.
So take a photo for reference and try some changes.
What is best usually is a look that is somewhat indeterminate so the beholder can see what they want to see. Impressionism ya know.

JR-Logan-0494.jpg

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm always playing with the ideas. ... variations on variation. This one is a single seater inspired by the 50's. Well maybe a seat and one-half at best... This is a very small vehicle.
Just couldn't leave this thread to die I guess. Before I wire this one in 3d solid modeling, just wanted a verification in clay.

View attachment 12148 View attachment 12151 View attachment 12152 View attachment 12153 View attachment 12154 View attachment 12155 View attachment 12156
OK, only 9 months later! I had just a little time recently and I 'wired it up' in 3d, and of course uploaded it to the sketch-up 3dwarehouse.
(see below). It occurred to me this was a old-new blend with the mid-post WWII styles, so it was just perfect as a comic book ride.
So I called it the Captain-America Solo Scout Spider in the catalog. Download here if you like. Or just roll it about in 3d in your browser.
I've not been posting lately due to a change of employment. My old job had a bunch of hurry-up and wait in it. My new job just has a bunch of 'get-er-done' in it. But at least it's fun.!

I can now admit what my old job was. Actually, many of you had a chance to use it in the past 10 years. I used to help program/support the 'Thick Kiosk' passenger check-in software application for US Airways(and some other apps). When American became the new business name a couple years back, my software was retired. Long story made short, I just couldn't stand the new company. It's a standard problem, with growth, companies often gain a sweat-shop mentality, and American is edging that direction. Snuff said about that! I've worked for some super big companies in the past, and they all do share some similar struggles. Each company size range has their own caveats. I was pretty much going to retire, but this new job is allowing me to put that off for a bit longer.

DinkyDue.png
DinkyDueF.png
DinkyDue3.png

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can only guess based on comparisons to known tests. My Taddy got a .20 in real tunnel tests. It was a very slippery form but had exposed AArms, aero-profiled(adding some 'd') and top wing headlight(+d), and enclosed wheels (-d).

This Solo has a sharp tail(-d) but some corner shapes at the fenders and open wheels(+d) but at least the AArms are covered(-d). The Atlantric has open wheels(+) plus not a sharp butt(+). Again suspension is covered. And too the Taddy tunnel model didn't have some open holes and things that the real car would for suspension bits etc. (+d) All three have some limited underbelly exposure but only at the suspension arms, so about equal on that. The Taddy and Atlantric have low noses(-d), the solo a taller profiled front nose(+d).

Total guess here,
Taddy's real cd is likely around .21, but the full drag is very low due to a small profile. The Solo maybe around .205 and Atlantric around .21. The Solo Scout and Atlantric are just a little bigger profiles, with total aero-drag maybe 10%-20% higher than the Taddy.
The weight is the real divergence in the three. Taddy at about 450lbs, Atlantric at about 1100lbs(ICE drive), and this Solo could break under 1000lbs.(230kg, 555kg, 505kg,)

Compared to the California Commuter Car(157mpg@55mph), Taddy should have gotten 155-175mpg(@55mph). Compared to other test vehicles, Atlantric should get 120-135mpg, and The solo should get 125-140mpg. Again all total guessing compared to cars in competition, but in real street/driving conditions (no super milling tactics). I'll quad-tripple down here, all total guessing by real world comparisons, and the expectation of well engineered drive trains.

As for the Elio, I'd expect a competition tuned Elio (all stock) would get between 85 and 100mpg @55 in those same testing conditions.

PS, closing the wheel-wells can add between 5% and 10% to your normal MPG, and between 5% to 15% in these light weight 'full body' vehicles.

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Weeellla, this is a hard art form for me to ignore, given there are other forms of it I wanted to explore.
This one is probably one of the more controversial ones... enjoy! Roll it around in 3d here..

It's kind of a testing of the adage, square peg in a round hole. How to use a front end like that and still be relatively aerodynamic.

Dreamweaver.jpg

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Weeellla, this is a hard art form for me to ignore, given there are other forms of it I wanted to explore.
This one is probably one of the more controversial ones... enjoy! Roll it around in 3d here..

It's kind of a testing of the adage, square peg in a round hole. How to use a front end like that and still be relatively aerodynamic.

View attachment 22112

Drive in reverse! :D ;)

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Drive in reverse! :D ;)
OK, now I know YOU are pulling my leg... But for everyone else....just to keep the record straight...(and address the inside joke I was just teased with)

The common idea of running that kind form backwards is that way it looks to us like a wedge. That works for axes, knives, or when you want to manipulate down force, break the sound barrier, stuff like that. Most racecars (not so much Bonneville), many jets and rockets for that matter, often want that spear or wedge shape (sometimes due to exhaust nozzles etc). OK, yes to save length in the vehicle too.

But if you want absolute low drag in air or water, it's water-drop-aerodyne all the way, be-beh. If you look closely the F16, it's mostly tear-drop except for the exhaust area (and has a square inlet too, eh?), and the nose a bit longer.

So if your objective is low gas mileage, the form above is most likely best run in forward gear.

Want to race with down force or knock a hole in a brick wall, or tunnel under a hay-pile?, run it backwards. lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom