• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Am I The Only Person Who Likes The Elgin Dash?

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am an engineer. Notice how I completely ignored the aesthetics of the design? And those things that are hard to get to should never need to be touched during regular maintenance. ;)

Karnaj

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With that said I heard mention that Paul Elio has engineered a mechanism.............if anyone tries to tamper with or replace the Elgin..................the Elio will self destruct. Happy Halloween everybody!
Unknown explosion covered by warranty? Class action lawsuit for multiple (many, many) explosions? I hope he's smarter than that ;)

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Couldn't they just fill the cabin with poison gas when the thief tries to hotwire it? Let it air out, dump the body by the side of the road with a note explaining what happened, and you're good to go!

lnwlf40

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With that said I heard mention that Paul Elio has engineered a mechanism.............if anyone tries to tamper with or replace the Elgin..................the Elio will self destruct. Happy Halloween everybody!

Oh come on, really? Are you serious? That sounds like a tall order of bulls..t to me. I hope you are just being funny. If not, what is that source you heard such malarkey from?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Oh come on, really? Are you serious? That sounds like a tall order of bulls..t to me. I hope you are just being funny. If not, what is that source you heard such malarkey from?
Yes, bulls..t fun and or funny malarkey. I thought it was funny as hell on Halloween Eve for the Elgin Dash haters.

lnwlf40

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, bulls..t fun and or funny malarkey. I thought it was funny as hell on Halloween Eve for the Elgin Dash haters.
There was a part of me telling me that was for fun, but my gullible side was getting the better of me tonight. I do remember a post somewhere on here, way back, that mentioned the electronics for controlling the Elgin dash might be of such that adapting aftermarket dash components (like Dakota Digital) might be near impossible or very expensive. Again, maybe that was just unsubstantiated speculation.:boom:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
There was a part of me telling me that was for fun, but my gullible side was getting the better of me tonight. I do remember a post somewhere on here, way back, that mentioned the electronics for controlling the Elgin dash might be of such that adapting aftermarket dash components (like Dakota Digital) might be near impossible or very expensive. Again, maybe that was just unsubstantiated speculation.
I already have plans drawn out for a digital dash replacement that should pop right in.
Some of the senders will have to be changed, but only a couple depending on how "complete" someone wants the dash.
The speedo is GPS controlled.
Price will run $600 to $1,200 not installed (just a guesstamate at this point).
It comes in white, orange, red or blue numerals.

So not an issue for an alternate dash cluster.

lnwlf40

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I already have plans drawn out for a digital dash replacement that should pop right in.
Some of the senders will have to be changed, but only a couple depending on how "complete" someone wants the dash.
The speedo is GPS controlled.
Price will run $600 to $1,200 not installed (just a guesstamate at this point).
It comes in white, orange, red or blue numerals.

So not an issue for an alternate dash cluster.
Glad to hear that. Thanks. I was looking at Dakota way back when the Elgin Dash thread was rockin......you are probably the one that turned me on to them.
we will have to do some info sharing when the day comes we have Elios in our garages and the wrenches are flying:smash:

Karnaj

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Glad to hear that. Thanks. I was looking at Dakota way back when the Elgin Dash thread was rockin......you are probably the one that turned me on to them.
we will have to do some info sharing when the day comes we have Elios in our garages and the wrenches are flying:smash:
No, no. Coss's wrenches do not fly. They are used then carefully put back in their proper place. Neat and tidy. Probably with some of those dead body outlines. ;)

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There was a part of me telling me that was for fun, but my gullible side was getting the better of me tonight. I do remember a post somewhere on here, way back, that mentioned the electronics for controlling the Elgin dash might be of such that adapting aftermarket dash components (like Dakota Digital) might be near impossible or very expensive. Again, maybe that was just unsubstantiated speculation.:boom:
Sorry for any confusion. I'm not even sure why the Elgin dash is an issue providing it's readable, but fun discussion nonetheless. It's a unique dash on a unique ride for unique owners.

Top Bottom