• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

And Now For Something Completely Different But Very Cool And $$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtspode

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You'd be very wrong.

Have you flown in one? Have you stalled a fixed wing? Have you been in a car accident? Safety is relative and mostly operator dependent. The Gyros have a good record for trained pilots. Thinking you can fly one without training is a serious mistake. Similar to buying a motorcycle without training. You are not practicing safety. They can kill you for sure, fixed wings, rotorwing, Goldwing. Be safe out there.

Go Elio. (oh, you could die in an Elio too) I hope not, but it could happen.
new-logo.jpeg

Published February 10, 2015
Gyroplanes Buyer’s Guide 2015
Big views, big safety, low cost
By Marc C. Lee
cdn2.planeandpilotmag.com_stories_2015_mar_gyroplanes_opener.jpg

Gyroplanes are one of the last remaining secrets in the aviation community. Despite the fact that gyroplanes (also called gyrocopters and autogyros) first appeared in 1923 and enjoyed some years of popularity, few general aviation pilots know much about them. Helicopters took over the scene during World War II, and most people forgot about gyroplanes, though magazines like Popular Mechanics ran classified ads with gyroplane plans during the '50s and '60s. In the late 1980s, an enormous gyroplane renaissance happened with regard to technical developments, and a new era was born. Today, in many countries, gyroplanes are everywhere, and that surge of popularity is finally coming to our own GA world. Gyroplanes are, in fact, alive and flourishing.

0_gravatar_com_avatar_cb2b768a5e546b24052ea03334e43676_4b34f91b9339f04c966d5244a9e253af._.png
Dr Nic Williams says:
February 27, 2015 at 12:36 PM

It is this video that really truly sells me on experiencing and possibly owning a gyroplane https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8IB-5PbL9U Wonderfully well put together.

xtspode

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A lot of people would argue with you on that!
A lot of people will argue with anyone on any subject. I have argued with my X-wife over some very stupid things, and it didn't help me out much either. Trying hard not to argue as much these days. Too many good things out there to enjoy regardless of what anyone else thinks about it.

Go Elio

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A lot of people will argue with anyone on any subject. I have argued with my X-wife over some very stupid things, and it didn't help me out much either. Trying hard not to argue as much these days. Too many good things out there to enjoy regardless of what anyone else thinks about it.
Go Elio
I flown pretty much everything you can imagine since 1967. Been certificating fixed wing and rotorwing, both factory built and experimental, since 1999. Gyroplanes are at the very bottom of the list when it comes to things I enjoy flying.
I've attended more funerals for gyroplane pilots than I have for fixed wing pilots even though the ratio of G/P to F/W is very skewed in the other direction. If you intend to fly gyroplanes, PLEASE get thorough instruction from professionals.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Have you flown in one? Have you stalled a fixed wing? Have you been in a car accident? Safety is relative and mostly operator dependent. The Gyros have a good record for trained pilots. Thinking you can fly one without training is a serious mistake. Similar to buying a motorcycle without training. You are not practicing safety. They can kill you for sure, fixed wings, rotorwing, Goldwing. Be safe out there.
It is this video that really truly sells me on experiencing and possibly owning a gyroplane https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8IB-5PbL9U Wonderfully well put together.

Have I flown in one? Not relevant to the overall safety
Have I stalled a fixed wing? Yes, I've stalled in every configuration, CG, attitude, power setting, weight, condition, and type. But not relevant.
Have I been in a car accident? yes, not relevant.

"Safety is relative and mostly operator dependent. "
Is is categorically untrue and absolute bull crap. I could write pages on how this is mind boggling garbage science that it hurts to read.

(deep breath)
Statistics for each category and class aircraft are difficult to pin down, but reading FAA and NTSB reports, rotor craft have about a 30-50% greater accident rate per 100,000 hours flown in the general aviation area for personal use. I exclude charters (Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR) 135) and air carriers (FAR 121). I've seen gyro stats 10-25 times higher that general aviation averages.

(*extracting pages of data and ranting*)

(*deeper breath*)

You know what? Go ahead and fly your car/motorcycle/gyro-copter/balloon combination vehicle into icing conditions at night while intoxicated.
I'm sure your superior skill will overcome the inferior judgement of any situation.

I've watched 3 people, who knew everything, die in front of me. What's another few.

Last edited:

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I flown pretty much everything you can imagine since 1967. Been certificating fixed wing and rotorwing, both factory built and experimental, since 1999. Gyroplanes are at the very bottom of the list when it comes to things I enjoy flying.
I've attended more funerals for gyroplane pilots than I have for fixed wing pilots even though the ratio of G/P to F/W is very skewed in the other direction. If you intend to fly gyroplanes, PLEASE get thorough instruction from professionals.

Have I stalled a fixed wing? Yes, I've stalled in every configuration, CG, attitude, power setting, weight, condition, and type. But not relevant.

Is is categorically untrue and absolute bull crap. I could write pages on how this is mind boggling garbage science that it hurts to read.

(deep breath)
Statistics for each category and class aircraft are difficult to pin down, but reading FAA and NTSB reports, rotor craft have about a 30-50% greater accident rate per 100,000 hours flown in the general aviation area for personal use. I exclude charters (Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR) 135) and air carriers (FAR 121). I've seen gyro stats 10-25 times higher that general aviation averages.

(*deeper breath*)

You know what? Go ahead and fly your car/motorcycle/gyro-copter/balloon combination vehicle into icing conditions at night while intoxicated.
I'm sure your superior skill will overcome the inferior judgement of any situation.

I've watched 3 people, who knew everything, die in front of me. What's another few.

The last time I checked no gyrocopter is manufactured and certified in the United States.
That basically means that all gyrocopters are licensed as experimental. (read home built or kit)
I gave serious consideration to buyinga Barnett some years ago and looked into what I could find out about flight characteristics of rotocraft as compared to fixed wing since I used to be rated for SEL.
Turns out that there are some procedures that are drilled into you for fixed wing that will get you killed in a rotocraft.

I ended up not buying the kit I was looking at because it turned out that the weight would require me to pass the physical and the FAA frowns on pacemakers.

As far as driving or flying in icing conditions or while under the influence, you are just asking for a Darwin award.

Watching people die? Saw four members of a family of five burn to death in a VW square back when I was in an East Coast VFD. We used a salvage tarp as a shroud after we extinguished the fire. Sometimes bad things happen.

Edit: Corrected Barrett to Barnett. (been a few years)

Last edited:

xtspode

Elio Addict
Reaction score

(deep breath)

(*deeper breath*)

Sounds like you know pretty much everything, good for you.
Sorry I offended you.

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The last time I checked no gyrocopter is manufactured and certified in the United States. That basically means that all gyrocopters are licensed as experimental. (read home built or kit)
AutoGyro USA, Not manufactured in US, but Type-certified by FAA August 2016.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom