• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

And Now For Something Completely Different But Very Cool And $$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Vapor Carb is a persistent myth. No one can show one working (those annoying laws of physics get in the way).
So there is always a story of one that worked that was destroyed by mean bad types. My uncle built one and got 195 mpg with his 1958 Buick Roadmaster but black helicopters came and they took it away.

A lot of this kind of thing is Net Negative Gain, once put on the road.
One frequent thing is unpublished testing parameters. Sure, 120mpg, but at 30mph using super-mileing methods. Lots of stuff like that. Or bench testing the engine for HP and calling that power on the road. Two different things.

The progue carb was the item known from history. The tech is simple, just evaporate the fuel before mixing it with air.
Problem is, the intake air/fuel is preheated and pre-expanded requiring twice the engine to get the same power. They claimed extreme lean mixing, but they never did try and maintain low pollution levels. There IS no advantage to lean mixing in liquid fuel vs vapor fuel.

Then there is water injection and extreme over-expansion. Another is layered/stratified air, i.e. a stream of pure air not mixed with the fuel to absorb/expand more of the heat. That one again requires much more engine for the same power. Net negative gain.

The best of these was variable displacement, but that takes about twice the engine, twice the complication as well. And at a larger displacement your thermal gains at low output are easily lost in the excess surface areas involved.

Currently there are a number of variable valve designs that are working pretty well. K, twice the price, but still. (Elio's engine is one of those)

I'd like to see the Liquid-Piston engine in a viable car test. It takes advantage of simple rotary tech and over expansion tech. They also seem to have the possibility to use lean fuel mix as well, something you can't do in other ICE without lots of pollution and burned valves.

I've never seen a 'sectional' engine for variable displacement, but the theory is sound for thermal efficiency issues. Essentially, two or more engines in serial connection, where as little as one engine is running at a time. Using three 'sections' at displacements of 1,2,4, you can combine for 1 to 7 levels of output power ranges. 1 and 2 only gives you 1 thru 3 output levels. I'd hate to tune the whole mess as a prototype. And of course tha's excess weight you have to lug around.

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My uncle built one and got 195 mpg with his 1958 Buick Roadmaster but black helicopters came and they took it away.
And you know, they did it while he was speeding down I-80. Just swooped down out of the moonless night and grabbed him like a hawk swooping down on a ground squirrel. And we never heard from him again.

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
AriLea:
My G1 Insight has lean burn capabilities developed by Honda back in 2000.
It does work, but it will not allow LB ALL the time. It works down to about a 22-1 AF ratio. IIRR.
To obtain steller MPG, you learn to use LB at it's design. In conjunction with LOAD and momentum. I have seen lean burn as high as 84 MPH.
(slight down grade and pulling 8" of vacuum.)
When the engine goes into LB the timing advances more than usual to assist.
The system allows LB for a while and then "purges" the system to keep the emmissions within limits. And protect the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom