• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Announcements Post Suppliers Summit August 2015

Graemexx

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
??? That doesn't even make sense. Are you saying every coup made has to have a detachable roof? If an Rx8 is on its side with the decoifed driver and a passenger in the back seat, wouldn't they be in the same boat? If we are going with weird accidents, grandma backs your Elio against a building along the left side. She can't get out and the door won't open. Bye, grandma. I guess you are just doomed in there... You'll never get out. Thank goodness the government will protect us from improbable accident scenarios.
Most vehicles have two doors and room sideways. The Elio passenger would be stuck like a belly gunner on a WW2 bomber

Reactions: Ekh

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Most vehicles have two doors and room sideways. The Elio passenger would be stuck like a belly gunner on a WW2 bomber
Reach down, pull seat lever, push seat and push it and headless Bob forward, open door. Any accident that decapitated the driver is pretty much going to incapacitate the passenger anyway.

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I'm simply hackled about the idea of government regulation or approval. I agree , as I also would like doors on both sides for both driver and passenger(4 doors). Or at least just another door for the passenger on the opposite side. But this has no impact to gov regulations or loan approvals etc.

For the passenger emergency exist, I think an inside latch for the rear might be a cost effective fix.

I have never felt this was a 2 passenger vehicle. I call it (under my breath) a 1.5, passenger after-thought.

An emergency latch would be a good idea. I don't want a second door. I just hope Elio has thought of these issues and has an answer for them.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
An emergency latch would be a good idea. I don't want a second door. I just hope Elio has thought of these issues and has an answer for them.

I have a hunch that someone will see a money making opportunity and come up with an aftermarket gizmo .... if nothing else, one or both rear windows could be fitted with the swing-out style emergency exit found in 5th wheel and travel trailer campers

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a hunch that someone will see a money making opportunity and come up with an aftermarket gizmo .... if nothing else, one or both rear windows could be fitted with the swing-out style emergency exit found in 5th wheel and travel trailer campers
Someone mentioned it earlier; an Automatic Center Punch makes quick work of any piece of tempered glass; one click and it's gone.
Who needs swing out when the glass will turn into 1000's of little pieces, none of which would be sharp.

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Someone mentioned it earlier; an Automatic Center Punch makes quick work of any piece of tempered glass; one click and it's gone.
Who needs swing out when the glass will turn into 1000's of little pieces, none of which would be sharp.

I don't think an average sized adult can fit through the rear windows. Using it on the front windows is pointless for the passanger in the rear if the driver is incapacitated.

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think an average sized adult can fit through the read windows. Using it on the front windows is pointless for the passanger in the rear if the driver is incapacitated.

one of the differences in the shape of the P4 and P5 is supposed to be more headroom for the rear seat passenger .... I can see how that might enlarge the rear seat side windows ... it will be interesting to see

Top Bottom