• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Announcements Post Suppliers Summit August 2015

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Where in Detroit is the summit? Where is the shop the P5E1 being built?

The P4 will be at Royal Oak, MI – Woodward Dream Cruise – In Front of Village Automotive – 31200 Woodward Ave

I don't know where the P5 is being built, and really doubt you could get in -- maybe bat the eyes and flirt a bit?

Last edited:

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't are what Meriam Webster says (other dictionaries not the commonality, but not the acceptability of this coinage). Which edition did you use?

"Irregardless" is a tautology; it is circular. The prefix "ir" means "without". The suffix "less" means "lacking" or "without." So if you are without regard, you are regardless. "Ir" is thus redundant, awkward, and offensive to a well-tuned ear. There's no point in duplicating the negative; that creates a double negative, which is a positive. So "irregardless" is nonsense. Sorry if you don't like it, and you're free to use it however and whenever you wish, but it's one of those "marker" words that labels the user in some less than positive ways. That's not my imagination; it's sociology.

And where do I come off spouting this stuff? An earned doctorate in English should suffice.

Can't fault your analysis of the usage, but if they are as old as most of the folks on this site seem to be and still don't get it you're wasting your time.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
EM shouldn't publicly release their financials unless they were a public company. If EM was asking me to invest I would want to see their finacials. I think we can all agree EM doesn't have a crapload of money in the bank. Please continue asking those friendly, salty questions until we all get the well seasoned answers posted.
I don't believe they can offer stock to the public by any means -- Reg A+, Section 506 (Qualified Investors), other private placement or (especially) an IPO WITHOUT disclosing their financials. We know they had to provide audited financials to DOE for the ATVM application. SEC will certainly require them for the Reg A+ campaign, though the bar will be lower than for other programs. If they're made public to the SEC and DOE, they could probably be gotten by a Freedom of Information Act filing, but why go to the trouble and dig that hard into a start-up? If you have big bucks to invest, you're a shark and know the risks. If you're a teeny fish, you know the proposition is risky and are (if you're sane) willing to lose the amount you put in, if need be.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah... it's a disease. I've passed it on to my kids. When will it ever stop? :sick:
With luck and prayer, it WON'T stop. English is an incredibly rich language, and most of the many synonyms for any given noun or verb have different shades of meaning. Grammatically, English is particularly subtle regarding time relationships and conditionals. For example: Had I known Elio was not going to attain their funding, I would not have gone all in. However, if they should prove that the money was on tap after all, I might consider actually investing in the company, but, hey, dreams were made to feed our imaginations."

Had I known: states a condition contrary to fact at some time in the past (conditional)
Would not have: alternative condition, also in the past
Should they prove: condition not contrary to fact, a possibility in the future
Might: future conditional

All this constitutes nuanced use of English. Unfortunately, the language is dumbing down daily, and such subtleties are less and less well understood. It's a pity, because if you're after shades of meaning, the grammatical complexity of English is a real virtue. And so are the multiple and subtle connotations of our many synonyms.

If you love the language, as I do, you are enriched by it. And stupidities, which "irregardless" and "mischievious," and "flustrated" surely are, grate on my nerves. Unpronounceable acronyms, force-fit neologisms (new words coined for the immediate purpose), inappropriate use of nouns for verbs, and "advertising speak" in general just drive me nuts. Time Warner is running a campaign using the word "gigalife." In context it's supposed to be something good. But what in hell is "your gigalife" ? I have no idea -- and neither does anyone else! It's just bullshit (a term without any mystery or ambiguity whatever!)

Here are a couple of other pet peeves:

Center around. Same stupidity as "irregardless." You can center on a point, you can't center around anything. You can encircle or orbit or surround something, but cannot center around it.

Less when fewer should be used. We need fewer excuses and less air pollution. "Fewer" is for individual things. "Less" is for things in quantity, such as " we need less air pollution." We need more education, and fewer idiots!

This is becoming a rant and wandering off the topic -- as most of our threads do. But I have to tell you, skillful use of English marks you socially. So does inept use of the language. Are you Bubba or Martin Luther King? Your use of English may well make the difference. it's OK to be either, but people WILL brand you by your use of the mother tongue. So if Ty is pushing his kids to master their own language, I say good for him.

Top Bottom