• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Announcements Post Suppliers Summit August 2015

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I don't are what Meriam Webster says (other dictionaries discuss the commonality, but not the acceptability of this coinage). Which edition did you use?

"Irregardless" is a tautology; it is circular. The prefix "ir" means "without". The suffix "less" means "lacking" or "without." So if you are without regard, you are regardless. "Ir" is thus redundant, awkward, and offensive to a well-tuned ear. There's no point in duplicating the negative; that creates a double negative, which is a positive. So "irregardless" is nonsense. Sorry if you don't like it, and you're free to use it however and whenever you wish, but it's one of those "marker" words that labels the user in some less than positive ways. That's not my imagination; it's sociology.

And where do I come off spouting this stuff? An earned doctorate in English should suffice.
Nice! My dad has a Masters in English Education.

Talk show hosts on radio and TV absolutely LOVE the ol' double negative. Drives me crazy. lol

For example, on sports shows: "... you can't not love Tom Brady..."; "... there's no way you can't say that team goes to the World Series..."

*twitching* :suspicious:

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From personal experience? So does using too much of it.

Now this is fun, if I left it like just that, the inference is I just insulted Ekh about talking(writing) too much. I actually was not at all. I just seized on an extraneous non sequitur point and couldn't let it go. I'm a Sagittarian , we do that, a little too much.
We could be headed for Culture Wars here ... except we pretty much accept each other's bits of weirdness.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
While we are talking about words...

I never liked manual transmissions referred to as "standard" transmissions. If a manual transmission is what is meant, I wish the word manual was used, not the word standard. Standard means default. Today, the standard (or default) transmission is often (usually) an automatic transmission. I believe this came about years ago when manual was the standard of the day (?)

I am going to try using the words default and manual and avoid using the word standard since it can mean different thing.
I do this with other things.
I use the words breakfast, lunch, and supper to avoid using the word dinner since it can mean different things.

OMG I can see it now. I'm going to start a string of posts about the word "dinner". I can see it coming.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
While we are talking about words...

I never liked manual transmissions referred to as "standard" transmissions. If a manual transmission is what is meant, I wish the word manual was used, not the word standard. Standard means default. Today, the standard (or default) transmission is often (usually) an automatic transmission. I believe this came about years ago when manual was the standard of the day (?)
I am going to try using the words default and manual and avoid using the word standard since it can mean different thing.
I do this with other things.
I use the words breakfast, lunch, and supper to avoid using the word dinner since it can mean different things.
OMG I can see it now. I'm going to start a string of posts about the word "dinner". I can see it coming.

Well if you do one for Words, do it as a new thread.

Besides for transmissions I use Stick and Auto for the two most common; then if you want to do the new stuff the CVT and AutoStik. :thumb:

Dinner = the evening meal served most commonly between 5:00 and 9:00 pm :hungry:

Reactions: Ekh

satx

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My guess is, based on the history of paucity of info from EM, that we'll hear nothing useful, if anything, after this meeting.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know what you mean. My Mother always fussed about "at". I've noticed, even today professional brodcasters use "at" when it is not needed. Like "where the fire is at?", or "where are you at?''. Why not just say "where is the fire?" or "where are you?" Since it is used wrong mainly in a question, her answer would always be "between the A and the T". Gotta love Momma, and leave "at" of the end of sentences that don't need it.:p
how about- "where you is at",?? "where the fire be at", ???
I now felt better!

Top Bottom