• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Anti-theft Measures?

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Both my Yammi's lock the steering at full lock with the ignition key.
Someone would have to pick the bikes straight up in the air to get them on a truck bed.

My Yamaha Majesty scooter has the same feature. I just saw two YouTube videos each showing bikes with this feature being stolen in England. The thieves sat on the bike and pushed the closest handlebar with their foot until the lock gave way. Think I'll be using my brake rotor lock much more consistently now.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
My Yamaha Majesty scooter has the same feature. I just saw two YouTube videos each showing bikes with this feature being stolen in England. The thieves sat on the bike and pushed the closest handlebar with their foot until the lock gave way. Think I'll be using my brake rotor lock much more consistently now.

FYI... This also works on cars. With leverage from a crowbar, or ironically "The Club", you can apply enough force to break the steering column lock fairly easily.
Some car thieves have actually been known to target cars with The Club installed as all they need is a section of hacksaw to cut through the mostly plastic steering wheel very easily therefore bypassing the hardened steel club. Then as I said above they use your own club against you to provide the mechanical advantage needed to break the steering lock.

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Maybe a (small) 'Saddle Bag Monkey,' with a Judge, loaded with 410, would work for bike security.

russell ramsdell

Elio Addict
Reaction score
a simple hidden kill switch --but a tracking device would be nice-also nerve gas,- electrified seat -pepper spray from the top of the side pillar-- a code to start -entered wrong -.smashes your face into the steering wheel -voice and or fingerprint recognition to start -entered wrong ,see code -an r2d2 that comes out of the back seat and beats the crap outta the thieving degenerate and steals his wallet and then sleeps with his girlfriend -but yeah maybe just a simple killswitch--just sayin.

Ontap

Elio Fan
Reaction score
The only anti theft measure I would pay for would be to prevent them from driving off with it. Ie the club. If they're going to parts it at the curb there's nothing to really be done, but except in certain areas that isn't a realistic possibility anyway.
I can't imagine a vehicle that sells for $6800.00 new would be high on the theft list!!!

jdkeats

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can't imagine a vehicle that sells for $6800.00 new would be high on the theft list!!!
That is what I will be counting on. Theft rates are really determined by the demand for used parts and demand for parts are determined by the amount of units out on the road. That is the reason Honda Accords and Toyota Camrys are so high in theft rates.

fpelsdca

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It depends on how great the demand for it is. If there is a two or three year waiting list, someone might be tempted.
With the expected production rate of 250,000 per year, it would be nice to have a 2 or 3 year waiting list. However, even with the projected 40,000 pre-orders, they should be able to keep up with demand for quite some time. JMHO

Top Bottom