• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Anti-theft Measures?

saint451

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the very first ideas I saw was the aircraft tie down...so I will just make sure wherever the parking spot at home is, I will put a place for either heavy duty chain or cable attached to my installed trailer hitch.
Second, I like the hidden cutoff switch/fuse inside the vehicle, have used it in the past for various cars, trucks, jeeps, and boats.
Third, I own a couple of steering wheel clubs, I bet one will work.
Combined, about $100.00. for cable, lock, and electrical stuff.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Get a free "Obamaphone" from your local social services office. It's not even necessary to apply for assistance. It seems there are several participating companies that get a federal grant for providing free phones to the poor - so it behooves them to sign up people whether they actually need one (or could even qualify for one by dint of minimal income) or not. My daughter was solicited by one of these workers near a drugstore, and she, not knowing what it was - except they said it was free - signed up. A couple weeks later she gets a phone - no cost. She gets 275 minutes a month for nothing and all she has to do is turn it on and use it once a month to keep her account active.

Now with this "free" phone, activating it every month should keep her in the system, so all she needs is the app. It's not really a smartphone (she already has a new one of these), but it's sort of a minimal half-smart phone. Even if you don't need a phone, at least now Uncle Sugar can keep track of your car. :rolleyes:
I happen to be in the industry and those companies get prosecuted routinely.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
They can do that even if your phone is turned off. To not be tracked you have to remove the battery. At least that is what I have read.
That is correct.... and have you noticed on a huge number of smartphones the battery is not removable?

The alternative is to put it in a faraday bag.

Kewaneh

Elio Fan
Reaction score
A lock option that parts of the motorcycle community have been using for years with success that could easily be adapted for Elio use is a Brake Disc Lock. It's similar to the boots that some jurisdictions use to clamp around a car's wheel to limit or prevent it's movement. Those for motorcycles are designed to clamp onto the brake disc, and are small enough to fit in your pocket or glove compartment. Some even have alarms on them.

The following is not an endorsement for the brand or style of lock; I've only attached it for an explanation of the use of this type of lock.

Kewaneh

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Harley Davidson has employed the use of a physical steering lock on many of their bikes. A set of holes on the steering tube line up when the handlebars are at full lock. A padlock is then run through the holes locking the steering. A similar setup could be used on the steering arms of the Elio to lock the steering the same way. A thief may be able to start it, but he'd only be able to go in a circle.

Top Bottom