• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Anti-theft Measures?

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know the specifics, but there are devices meant to install or "implant" into home electronics (tv's, etc.) that if the item is stolen, can be "tracked." these are (from what I remember) are cheap enough to install in multiple items in your home. I need to research this, as it could be a good "low cost" solution.

aknaten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Or you could just tell the thief how inexpensive the Elio is, how efficient it is, and how much fun it is to drive when it is HIS, then he'll thank you, get out and go order his own Elio and become part of the Elio Brother/Sisterhood!

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree. If I'm not mistaken Honda and Toyota are the most stolen cars only because there are so many of them on the road parts are a hot black market item. The Elio will not even come close to having as many cars on the road as Toyota or Honda, so if anyone stole it who would want the parts? Even the airbags (a popular theft item) would be specific to this car hence useless to steal. Most thieves are pretty stupid anyway and would think the Elio is some sort of one-off homemade design. I think the biggest threat would be of gawkers leaning over to look inside out of curiosity and scratching the paint.
Well you will be right for awhile, but I think it will happen rather quickly that the Elio DOES become a major seller and there are LOTS of them out there, making it a theft target after all. As usual though, a hidden kill switch is the best anti-theft device you can get. My personal design involves a magnetic switch so you have to wave a magnet over a certain spot in the car to activate the ignition system or fuel pump. The magnet on your key ring comes in handy to hang your keys up too.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not a bad idea, and I like the keep it simple part. But even burner phones cost $10 or so per month, which is $120 per year. in five years thats $600! Naturally there are people to whom that's chump-change, but for some of us that's real money.
But this way the theif can call you to thank you for the car and phone.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Get a free "Obamaphone" from your local social services office. It's not even necessary to apply for assistance. It seems there are several participating companies that get a federal grant for providing free phones to the poor - so it behooves them to sign up people whether they actually need one (or could even qualify for one by dint of minimal income) or not. My daughter was solicited by one of these workers near a drugstore, and she, not knowing what it was - except they said it was free - signed up. A couple weeks later she gets a phone - no cost. She gets 275 minutes a month for nothing and all she has to do is turn it on and use it once a month to keep her account active.

Now with this "free" phone, activating it every month should keep her in the system, so all she needs is the app. It's not really a smartphone (she already has a new one of these), but it's sort of a minimal half-smart phone. Even if you don't need a phone, at least now Uncle Sugar can keep track of your car. :rolleyes:

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Get a free "Obamaphone" from your local social services office. It's not even necessary to apply for assistance. It seems there are several participating companies that get a federal grant for providing free phones to the poor - so it behooves them to sign up people whether they actually need one (or could even qualify for one by dint of minimal income) or not. My daughter was solicited by one of these workers near a drugstore, and she, not knowing what it was - except they said it was free - signed up. A couple weeks later she gets a phone - no cost. She gets 275 minutes a month for nothing and all she has to do is turn it on and use it once a month to keep her account active.

Now with this "free" phone, activating it every month should keep her in the system, so all she needs is the app. It's not really a smartphone (she already has a new one of these), but it's sort of a minimal half-smart phone. Even if you don't need a phone, at least now Uncle Sugar can keep track of your car. :rolleyes:

Yes they could, but the other side of that coin is that "Big Brother" can track and know where YOU are all the time. Aren't we getting enough of giving up our privacy to an incompetent, deadbeat government??

Top Bottom