• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Anyone Know How Big Of Tire We Can Stuff Under The Back?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How easy are they to use in real life? (luckily I never had to)
I've used one of those kits but mine only has the two screwdriver type of tools and then several of the gummy worms. it is VERY easy to use... find the hole, shove the rasp in and out a few times, thread a gummy worm on the other tool (Kind of like a sewing needle with a broken eye), push that tool all the way into the tire and then just pull the tool out. The gummy will come partway out and then come off the tool. Done. Well, THEN, you have to put air in the tire. The thing is that this kit works wonderfully if your puncture was due to a nail or screw but does nothing if your tire blew out or has a gash in it. I've repaired car and motorcycle tires with the kits though... I forgot that my back tire on my bike has that plug in it. Now, I'm all paranoid about it all over again. The flat was back in October, I believe. Still holding the original air though.

Ralphe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I picked this up at wally world this afternoon. It caught my eye, because it was similar to the kit that
was supplied with my Chevy Volt. Except, this kit cost $19.00. It measures 8.5"wX7"hX3"d nice package.
It contains a 16oz bottle of Slime Tire Sealant and a mini-inflator that plugs into the car accessory outlet.
They claim the reusable pump will fill a 15 inch tire in 7 minutes. They have other sizes for larger tires,
with kits up to about $50. I just bought a old GMC Safari, that had no spare tire. I think i'll cancel that
trip to the junkyard. This will fit the Elio, perfectly, if they cannot provide one at low cost. I remember the clerk at Chevy, quoted me a price of $125. to replace the Volt kit. I haven't tried it, but I feel it might be a
good thing to have when I cant get AAA to come quickly.
Oh, Slime states that the formula they use in this package, is non toxic and won't harm TPMS systems.

Attachments

• 2015-07-10 16.47.44.jpg
    2015-07-10 16.47.44.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 233
  • 2015-07-10 18.06.04.jpg
    2015-07-10 18.06.04.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 244

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I picked this up at wally world this afternoon. It caught my eye, because it was similar to the kit that
was supplied with my Chevy Volt. Except, this kit cost $19.00. It measures 8.5"wX7"hX3"d nice package.
It contains a 16oz bottle of Slime Tire Sealant and a mini-inflator that plugs into the car accessory outlet.
They claim the reusable pump will fill a 15 inch tire in 7 minutes. They have other sizes for larger tires,
with kits up to about $50. I just bought a old GMC Safari, that had no spare tire. I think i'll cancel that
trip to the junkyard. This will fit the Elio, perfectly, if they cannot provide one at low cost. I remember the clerk at Chevy, quoted me a price of $125. to replace the Volt kit. I haven't tried it, but I feel it might be a
Oh, Slime states that the formula they use in this package, is non toxic and won't harm TPMS systems.

<<<<<<Shiver>>>>>> And after you use it, and get to where you can get help, you'll be throwing that tire away.

Yes, it will get you out of a bind, but it ruins the tire you put it in.
It's kind of like putting a raw egg in your radiator to fix a leak, it does work, but it will do damage.

You're better off making the run to the junk yard, it will be cheaper in the long run.
IMHO (I was Pro mechanic for years)
If you would like to confirm, call a good tire shop and pretend like you've already used it in a tire and see what they say.

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've slimed bicycle tires and garden tractor tires for a lot of years, no damage done!
I retired from auto mechanics a lot of years ago, though grease still flows through my veins.
Not arguing anyone else's views and stands, but I have no reason to doubt "slime" works. Admittedly though, it's a pain to apply a patch inside of the tire after slime has been in it.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
That's why I had suggested to call a tire shop and see what they say.
Just tell them you ran over a screw or something, and it's not in the sidewall (no shop will fix a sidewall leak)

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Slime. I never leave home without it..... seriously! :bounce:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I won't argue that it doesn't work; I know it will.
Before "Slime" I've used "Fix-a-flat" and "Airman/ResQ Max" and different brands of liquid sealant for tubes that stays liquid until it has a puncture and will automatically fix the hole before you lose too much air (the must have item for antique motorcycles that are ridden).
Most tire guys want to beat you down once they open a tire to fix the problem since no emergency fix a flat product last forever.
It just make a royal mess of the inside of the tire.

Oh and FYI; Slime only has a 4 year shelf-life so remember to date anyone you buy, and remember to replace it once you find it again and it's 3 years past the due date :D

Top Bottom