• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Apple Developing Electric Car Wsj 2/13

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
By Abhirup Roy and Alexei Oreskovic

Feb 13 (Reuters) - Apple Inc has a secret lab working on the creation of an Apple-branded electric car, the Wall Street Journal reported on Friday, citing people familiar with the matter.

The project has designed a vehicle that looks like a minivan, the newspaper quoted one person as saying. It would take years to finish the project, and it is not certain if Apple will eventually build a car, the Journal said. (http://on.wsj.com/1zBD9sL)

The news signals that Apple is sharply raising its ambitions for automotive technology, which has become a prime area of interest for Silicon Valley companies ranging from Google Inc to ride-sharing firm Uber to electric car-maker Tesla Motors Inc.

The connected car, or vehicles with a full range of Internet and software services beyond mere navigation and communications, is considered one of the ripest areas for expansion for technology companies.

Last March, Apple unveiled CarPlay, which lets drivers access contacts on their iPhones, make calls or listen to voicemails without taking their hands off the steering wheel.

Now, the head of Mercedes-Benz's Silicon Valley research and development unit, Johann Jungwirth, has defected to Apple, according to a LinkedIn profile, which said his title was head of Mac Systems Engineering.

Apple did not respond to a request for comment.

The Financial Times reported earlier that Apple had created the secret lab and that Jungwirth had joined the new research team. (http://on.ft.com/1A4ELi5)

Two sources told Reuters that Apple has recently tried to recruit from the automotive industry in fields such as robotics.

The research lab was set up late last year, soon after Apple revealed its forthcoming smart watch and latest iPhones, the Financial Times said.

The Wall Street Journal said that the Apple project, code-named "Titan," employed several hundred people working a few miles from Apple's headquarters in Cupertino, California.

Apple executives have met with contract manufacturers including Magna Steyr, a unit of Magna International Inc . A Magna spokeswoman declined to comment.

Google is working on plans for a self-driving car, but that is not part of Apple's plan, the Journal said.

Trying to design and build an actual car would mark a change for the iPhone maker, which researches and discards plenty of projects but has so far mainly stuck to its core expertise in mobile and electronic devices.

But it has been open about wanting to integrate its core iOS software into automobiles with CarPlay.

Along with HomeKit and HealthKit, the idea is to extend Apple's software dominance into industries including home devices, healthcare, and automobiles. (Reporting by Abhirup Roy in Bengaluru and Alexei Oreskovic in San Francisco; Editing by Edwin Chan, Joyjeet Das, Christian Plumb, Peter Henderson and Lisa Shumaker)

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Geeky Gadgets. Even if it isn't electric or autonomous, if it looks like the concept given at this web site, I think it will be cool.
Apple-Self-Driving-Car.jpg

I wonder if it will have batteries that can only be changed at a iService center?

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One thing I didn't consider before, the envelope created by engine patents.
In the past, an engine pretty much defines the whole car, and patents pretty much lock down the intellectual ownership of the engine. Therefore it's much harder to enter into a competitive market.
But with electric motors there isn't the same patent barriers. True, many apply, but it doesn't differentiate who can be a startup as much as the internal engine does. There are current and numerous suppliers for batteries as well as motors and all the other drive components. And not that hard to start your own electric manufacturing. I mean all that in comparison to a gas engine bound design.
The tuffest nut for Tesla to crack was the tranny. And I have two/three solutions for that one myself.

Just thinking here. The envelope may be easier to crack then one might otherwise think.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
True and they will dump billions into making it happen and they will sell like I Phones .
I agree! Apple can and will make it happen if it becomes a priority venture. Apple products cost more and I suspect the reason is because of their award winning customer service model along with the support they provide their customer base to use their newly purchased Apple products.

Funding will not be an issue with a future iCar Concept.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Geeky Gadgets. Even if it isn't electric or autonomous, if it looks like the concept given at this web site, I think it will be cool.
Apple-Self-Driving-Car.jpg

I wonder if it will have batteries that can only be changed at a iService center?
Apple will probably contract with Tesla for batteries produced in their new Battery Mega Factory and use of the Tesla Super Charger Network for fast charging.

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If Apple makes an electric car, every firmware update will slow it down by 10mph and kill off 10% of its range; forcing you to buy a new iMove every 4 years.

NO ONE outdoes Apple at planned obsolescence.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
True and they will dump billions into making it happen and they will sell like I Phones .
Great I'll order one!!,have NEVER been disappointed with an Apple/Mac product from the apple 516 to iPhone 6! If its engineered,built, and intuitive it will, as all their products be technical marvels and easy to use. They for sure have lots of cash sitting around, and what better venue than transportation! whatever the configuration and looks it will knock the socks off ANY competitors. Even @ 4x $ elio, it'll be a game changer!
well, it's XI:XLIII time to bed down-

Top Bottom