• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Apple Developing Electric Car Wsj 2/13

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong… there shouldn't be one gallon of spill anywhere. So I'm not excusing any kind of spillage.

But we do use a helluva lot of gas in our country. Do you have an idea as to how many gallons of gas our country uses alone in a year? I see where the US used 134 BILLION gallons in 2012 alone. If you're moving billions of anything, there's going to be some accidents. Hopefully, they're getting better with pipelines, learning from past accidents. That's what I've read somewhere.
"Not trying to get you wrong," but you asked."where were they and when" now trying to rationalize away the reality. BTW the U.S. consumes 25% of the world's crude, hence our commitment (read wars) for stability in the Middle East. IMO the next presidential election will be strongly influenced by the price of gas -summer 2016

Last edited:

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey.... Not trying to rationalize anything. Just trying to help show all of the numbers instead of being one sided.

100 million sounds like a lot until you start talking hundreds of billions. THAT is the reality. Lol

Here we go with wars over oil again....

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We're do we get the electricity from? The current production of electricity is made mostly from fossil fuels. The average electric car has basically the equvialnt of 80,000 miles of polution just being built. The additional costs will never be made up as long as gas prices are what they are today. Electric cars being zero emission is a joke, they just emit emissions somewhere else. Unless you know how to make electricity cheaply and with no emissions it is all just smoke and mirrors,
Keep in mind EV's are an alternative vehicle option helping to reduce our dependency on foreign oil, more oil for you. Give electrics a break they obviously are not all things to all drivers. I like them because they are quiet, low maintenance, and high performance.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Keep in mind EV's are an alternative vehicle option helping to reduce our dependency on foreign oil, more oil for you. Give electrics a break they obviously are not all things to all drivers. I like them because they are quiet, low maintenance, and high performance.
Ah! but the smoke will be reduced and clarity will prevail, you just happen to be on the wrong side of this argument you forgot to mention the pollution, and cost of/ mining/manufacturing materials building the batteries.
Looking short term will shade your views of the future. The Elio (if not another) is the future and probably not too far down the road EV

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have read of improvements in batteries and electric motors. They are getting green with development. I think there is a place for electric vehicles.

I just think it is neat to drive car that runs off a battery instead of gas. It is like a life size battery RC car. :)

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately the WSJ reputation for accuracy in Apple rumors is in the crapper, it's to the point that of WSJ reports it you know it won't happen.
PSI Punk. Another source of the photo.
Apple-iMove-Concept-Car-By-Liviu-Tudoran-04.jpg

I think that is very unique vehicle.
iMove Concept.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ah! but the smoke will be reduced and clarity will prevail, you just happen to be on the wrong side of this argument you forgot to mention the pollution, and cost of/ mining/manufacturing materials building the batteries.
Looking short term will shade your views of the future. The Elio (if not another) is the future and probably not too far down the road EV
Pollution and the cost of mining? There is apparently new technology available that can pull lithium and other critical metals out of the effluent of some geothermal power plants, eliminating the drill-and-blast approach of traditional mining. Problem solved.

I see an electric Elio option in the future.

Last edited:

satx

Elio Addict
Reaction score
True and they will dump billions into making it happen and they will sell like I Phones .

Even if Apple adds the "Apple-is-cool lifestyle premium", they will have to compete with equally cool, equally connected EVs from established car mfrs, so Apple won't achieve the high margins of their other products.

from a segment on NPR, a guy said it could take Apple 10 years and $10B to build a car from scratch.

but .... then he said Apple is sitting on $180B in CASH (so far), so $10B is apple seeds.

Assuming some huge breakthroughs in battery physics and engineering (there's TONS of battery research now), the seduction of EV cars with 200+ miles range will cause a huge demand. EV pricing will quickly become as competitive (aka, tiny margins for producers, like 2% to 7%) as the internal combustion market.

article on current car mfr margins: http://247wallst.com/autos/2015/02/...m_campaign=Feed:+typepad/RyNm+(24/7+Wall+St.)

the "always connected car" (both to wireless networks and to personal devices and to other vehicles in the vicinity), and esp self-driving, etc will transform personal transportation. How about ordering a taxi from your phone and having it arrive, ... with no driver.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Even if Apple adds the "Apple-is-cool lifestyle premium", they will have to compete with equally cool, equally connected EVs from established car mfrs, so Apple won't achieve the high margins of their other products.

from a segment on NPR, a guy said it could take Apple 10 years and $10B to build a car from scratch.

but .... then he said Apple is sitting on $180B in CASH (so far), so $10B is apple seeds.

Assuming some huge breakthroughs in battery physics and engineering (there's TONS of battery research now), the seduction of EV cars with 200+ miles range will cause a huge demand. EV pricing will quickly become as competitive (aka, tiny margins for producers, like 2% to 7%) as the internal combustion market.

article on current car mfr margins: http://247wallst.com/autos/2015/02/21/bmw-shares-pound-us-companies/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+typepad/RyNm+(24/7+Wall+St.)

the "always connected car" (both to wireless networks and to personal devices and to other vehicles in the vicinity), and esp self-driving, etc will transform personal transportation. How about ordering a taxi from your phone and having it arrive, ... with no driver.
or worse with a driver from -Uber!

Top Bottom