• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Arcimoto

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After my 13+ year interest in an affordable three wheeler, I’m beginning to think the idea of an enclosed three wheeler I.C.E. or Electric fully enclosed motorcycle option, is losing it’s luster based on the few not so affordable three wheeler options that are currently available. Most if not all of those are in the $20K+ range, open air, no climate control, and minimal safety features. The original three wheeler Elio concept was very appealing based on marketed specs and under $7,500 MSRP………mostly low price point. Reality is when that price point inevitably gets closer to $20K+, one may as well buy a safer compact or subcompact car.

1673881665753.jpeg

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yep, that's a super good point.

Giving people something they need at a attractive price point, is always an oddity in trade. The seller never does this unless pressed to do so.
And that is really the only reason this car does not exist right now.
Elio was willing to try to do this because there was/is a big hole in the market for it. But it's been nearly impossible to convince big investors to commit big money for a small marginal return.

But I guarentee, if a maker like Toyota offered such a vehicle, at the desired price point, it would sell very well, and suddenly all the major producers would have thier own models. And then, of course, each maker finds some excuse one day to kill off the model in trade for bigger-better-more-features-more-expensive models. That scenario has played out many times up to this point.

The 1970's Ford Cortina and Ford Fiesta come to mind. Nothing that simple and inexpensive exists today.

I think we have a new world now, where we desparately need to not spend as much on transportation as we did in the past. Something more affordible is going to have to exist, if we humans are to live with less strife.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OH onward...
There are only two reasons that Arimoto would reduce thier prices, someone competes with them directly for a percieved common population of customers, or if at a lower price they can trigger higher sales volumes that is more efficient and so a bigger profit.

This path is also very rare and needs a kick-in-the-pants to see it happen.

I don't think the maker of the Solo or Acrimoto sees each other as viable competition sharing a clientele. Not yet anyway.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Giving people something they need at a attractive price point, is always an oddity in trade. The seller never does this unless pressed to do so.
Elio was willing to try to do this because there was/is a big hole in the market for it. But it's been nearly impossible to convince big investors to commit big money for a small marginal return.

But I guarentee, if a maker like Toyota offered such a vehicle, at the desired price point, it would sell very well, and suddenly all the major producers would have thier own models. And then, of course, each maker finds some excuse one day to kill off the model in trade for bigger-better-more-features-more-expensive models. That scenario has played out many times up to this point.

The 1970's Ford Cortina and Ford Fiesta come to mind. Nothing that simple and inexpensive exists today.

I think we have a new world now, where we desparately need to not spend as much on transportation as we did in the past. Something more affordible is going to have to exist, if we humans are to live with less strife.
You guys makes good point. But what is a 3 wheeler car really?? To most of us, it's not a serious daily transportation because it can't compete with 4 wheelers in terms of safety. An "AND" ride, except in the 3rd world countries where cheap 3 wheelers abounds. And don't bank on the majors (Toyota, Honda, etc.) making 3wheelers anytime soon because they don't want liability issues. I don't think airbags would minimize injuries on a major collision even if SOLO or Arcimoto have one. Right now the SOLO is the only one in the market offering a fully enclosed single seat 3wheeler safe enough for local drives but never on freeways where 65-up mph is the norms. On a side note, the cheapest car in the market right now will be discontinued after 2023- the 3cyl gas Chevy Spark with a base price of only $13,600- a real car.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OH onward...
There are only two reasons that Arimoto would reduce thier prices, someone competes with them directly for a percieved common population of customers, or if at a lower price they can trigger higher sales volumes that is more efficient and so a bigger profit.

I don't think the maker of the Solo or Acrimoto sees each other as viable competition sharing a clientele. Not yet anyway.
There is only one way Arcimoto can reduce their price, and that is scaled production So they can buy parts in volume and maximize efficiency (time/labor) in the manufacturing process. They stated 21/2 years ago a target $11,900 MSRP based on production scale. 2019 2 Units per day 2023 6 units per day. Sadly, based on the snails pace progress since the production roll out, they may not make it.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OH onward...

Good to see both startups delivering vehicles to their different range of market demographics. The more options the better, but three wheels in snow belt climates……….my gut says a harsh winter snow belt limits three wheeler to niche motorcycle market potential for both the FUV and Solo.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score

It seems that auto manufactures don’t want the liability associated with motorcycles. Toyota tested their i-Road concept and VW had a three wheeler ready for production, but apparently their Legal Department nixed the idea. Perhaps the motocycle manufacturers should be the ones to get behind the enclosed three wheeler concept.

Last edited:

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There is only one way Arcimoto can reduce their price, and that is scaled production So they can buy parts in volume and maximize efficiency (time/labor) in the manufacturing process. They stated 21/2 years ago a target $11,900 MSRP based on production scale. 2019 2 Units per day 2023 6 units per day. Sadly, based on the snails pace progress since the production roll out, they may not make it.
I'm sure if the FUV and SOLO have 90k + reservations/orders they would be cranking big volumes...unfortunately they didn't have that kind of demand.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure if the FUV and SOLO have 90k + reservations/orders they would be cranking big volumes...unfortunately they didn't have that kind of demand.
There seems to be great interest in the FUV, but the regional sales and service rollout States are limited. Heck, I could have sold 6, talking to excited people on the streets, during my test drive experience back in 2019. I don‘t think either company has the funding required to tool for the automation/robotics required for high production numbers and/or may not have parts partners able to supply the volume of parts inventory needed. Mostly hand assembled at this point in time. The FUV’s demand is far greater than the current 6 units per day. Sadly, I‘ll never see a fully enclosed production model FUV. I stopped following the Solo progress based on it’s to low to accommodate easy ingress/egress and provide for personal driver comfort. Will likely stop following the others too.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There seems to be great interest in the FUV, but the regional sales and service rollout States are limited. Heck, I could have sold 6, talking to excited people on the streets, during my test drive experience back in 2019. I don‘t think either company has the funding required to tool for the automation/robotics required for high production numbers and/or may not have parts partners able to supply the volume of parts inventory needed. Mostly hand assembled at this point in time. The FUV’s demand is far greater than the current 6 units per day. Sadly, I‘ll never see a fully enclosed production model FUV. I stopped following the Solo progress based on it’s to low to accommodate easy ingress/egress and provide for personal driver comfort. Will likely stop following the others too.
Not even close Rickb. Automation is so expensive it's relegated to popular models with strong demands for years and years from various car manufacturers. On the lighter side of things, you've probably heard/seen it in the news about TESLA cutting their prices that maybe I can consider buying a model 3! While the other previous buyers are all upset that they pay full price at the time before this huge price cut. What's also exciting is TESLA also just received delivery of their stamping dyes for guess what.....Cybertruck!!! It's really gonna happen....a truck that defies conventional truck look!

Top Bottom