• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Arcimoto

Ace

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We seem to have derailed 'the poor man's Tesla' Thread. Go FUV, it will be a fun everyday electric that takes care of many commuter's everyday driving needs.

The ear to ear grin on the test driver's face indicates she is having fun just sitting in the Blue FUV! I don't know about you, but If I had $$40 to $80K to spend on an electric vehicle, I'd spend $12K on the Arcimoto FUV to supplement my primary vehicle. :)

View attachment 22255

Personally, I wouldn't use this for more than anything other than getting around a golf cart community.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't use this for more than anything other than getting around a golf cart community.
Ace, that's good to know. Obviously, the FUV doesn't meet your needs until you retire to a golf course community, but that's the functional part of FUV. The fun part is that the Foov is an 80 smiles per hour golf cart and can haul a sheet of plywood on the surfboard rack. A golf cart, surf boarders dream vehicle, a hauler, and a commuter all rolled into one vehicle doesn't get any more functional than that.
IMG_8741.jpg

Last edited:

Ace

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ace, that's good to know. Obviously, the FUV doesn't meet your needs until you retire to a golf course community, but that's the functional part of FUV. The fun part is that the Foov is an 80 smiles per hour golf cart and can haul a sheet of plywood on the surfboard rack. A golf cart, surf boarders dream vehicle, a hauler, and a commuter all rolled into one vehicle doesn't get any more functional than that.
View attachment 22256

Possibly, but where I live it just would not meet my needs as an every day driver. Primarily because it is open to the elements. A video mentions option side curtains for $2,000? Secondarily because there's nothing even remotely resembling an EV infrastructure around here.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Possibly, but where I live it just would not meet my needs as an every day driver. Primarily because it is open to the elements. A video mentions option side curtains for $2,000? Secondarily because there's nothing even remotely resembling an EV infrastructure around here.
I need the hardshell enclosure to make it year around functional in my neck of the woods. I'm hoping all the infrastructure I need is an electrical outlet. Closer and more convenient than a gas pump. :)
IMG_6519.PNG

Last edited:

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm hoping all the infrastructure I need is an electrical outlet.
A standard 120 VAC outlet charging at 12 amps will provide about 1.4k Wh per hour of charge. 70 miles on a 12 kWh battery pack means they are estimating an efficiency of ~6 miles/kWh for an average driver. So each hour of 12 A - 120 VAC charging should get you about 8.4 miles of average driving. If you "drive it like you stole it", you should still get at least 5 miles of driving per hour of charging.

The SRK base model has a 12 kWh battery pack. That's a full charge in about 9 hours, assuming you can get a full 12 amp charge rate. So long as you can count on plugging it in for 9 hours a night, then that regular household outlet should do you just fine.

The extended 20 kWh battery back will take a bit longer to charge. About 15 hours at 12 A. Not too bad. You wouldn't need to do a 100% charge all the time, just like you don't always need a full tank of gas every time you stop at the gas station. An 80% charge would only be 9.5 hours or so. Easily doable.

(Depending on your electric lines and other loads on that circuit, you may or may not be able to get a full 12 A charge rate. You don't want to trip the breaker all the time, and you do NOT want run it at near-full load without doing a very thorough thermal survey of the electric line to make sure you don't cause a fire. When I installed the line for my Bolt, I borrowed an IR camera attachment for my phone, and surveyed the breaker box and line several times over the course of a couple days to make sure it wasn't overheating.)

The charge rate for 220 VAC level 2 is highly dependent on the size of the inverter they provide, and that's not listed on their web site. (At least for a brief look.) Assume a 6 kW inverter (which is almost 30 A, and the size used by the Nissan Leaf) and you could fully charge the battery in 2 hours.

For comparison: The Bolt gets about 4 miles/kWh for normal driving, and has a 7.2 kW inverter, drawing a max 32 A at 240 VAC. That almost 9 hours at full rate for a full charge.

These are all summer values with no heat/AC and no battery conditioning needed.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A standard 120 VAC outlet charging at 12 amps will provide about 1.4k Wh per hour of charge. 70 miles on a 12 kWh battery pack means they are estimating an efficiency of ~6 miles/kWh for an average driver. So each hour of 12 A - 120 VAC charging should get you about 8.4 miles of average driving. If you "drive it like you stole it", you should still get at least 5 miles of driving per hour of charging.

The SRK base model has a 12 kWh battery pack. That's a full charge in about 9 hours, assuming you can get a full 12 amp charge rate. So long as you can count on plugging it in for 9 hours a night, then that regular household outlet should do you just fine.

The extended 20 kWh battery back will take a bit longer to charge. About 15 hours at 12 A. Not too bad. You wouldn't need to do a 100% charge all the time, just like you don't always need a full tank of gas every time you stop at the gas station. An 80% charge would only be 9.5 hours or so. Easily doable.

(Depending on your electric lines and other loads on that circuit, you may or may not be able to get a full 12 A charge rate. You don't want to trip the breaker all the time, and you do NOT want run it at near-full load without doing a very thorough thermal survey of the electric line to make sure you don't cause a fire. When I installed the line for my Bolt, I borrowed an IR camera attachment for my phone, and surveyed the breaker box and line several times over the course of a couple days to make sure it wasn't overheating.)

The charge rate for 220 VAC level 2 is highly dependent on the size of the inverter they provide, and that's not listed on their web site. (At least for a brief look.) Assume a 6 kW inverter (which is almost 30 A, and the size used by the Nissan Leaf) and you could fully charge the battery in 2 hours.

For comparison: The Bolt gets about 4 miles/kWh for normal driving, and has a 7.2 kW inverter, drawing a max 32 A at 240 VAC. That almost 9 hours at full rate for a full charge.

These are all summer values with no heat/AC and no battery conditioning needed.
All I need is the standard 120 VAC outlet in my garage. There is plenty of available infrastructure to provide the power I need to charge the FUV..............providing I pay my electric bill. :)

Top Bottom