• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Arcimoto

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The FUV three wheeler EV coming to market is targeting the urban commuter market demographic. The limited physical space for a battery pack along with the added weight might be a range limiting factor.

If I was commuting 200 miles per day, I'd rather drive it in the more comfortable and spacious Tesla Model S. I wonder if the reduced fuel and maintenance cost driving 200 miles a day savings would make a big dent in a Tesla lease payment?

It was apparently an economical choice for a Rural Route Mail Carrier choosing to use a Model S.

Last edited:

MrWhsprs

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 84 mile round trip commute in the Bolt drains 1/3rd of my 230 mile battery, when the outside temperature was ~75F. When the outside temperature dropped to near freezing, that consumption went up to ~ 40% battery capacity. I keep the cabin temperature at 68F, and use the seat and steering wheel heaters. My overall estimated range has dropped from ~240 miles to ~200 miles.

Thank you. This is such good info for those who live where the winters are sub freezing.

We have a hybrid but not an EV. Maybe someday when we can afford to have the electrical panel in our old house replaced.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Make sure you account for winters in your range calculations. Battery efficiency drops off significantly once it drops to freezing temperatures. If you drive 180 miles per day, then a 200 mile range battery will leave you stranded when it gets near freezing! Cabin heaters are a significant load, and will have a big effect on your range. Also, highway speeds place a significantly higher drain on battery power than city speeds. My 84 mile round trip commute in the Bolt drains 1/3rd of my 230 mile battery, when the outside temperature was ~75F. When the outside temperature dropped to near freezing, that consumption went up to ~ 40% battery capacity. I keep the cabin temperature at 68F, and use the seat and steering wheel heaters. My overall estimated range has dropped from ~240 miles to ~200 miles.

The Bolt has an energy efficiency screen that shows you how much battery power goes to different usage. When my wife and kids are in the car and crank the heat up to 72F in near-freezing weather, battery conditioning and environmental power can pull nearly 20% battery power.

These are the things that most dealers can't tell you, and probably don't even know yet. If the salesman doesn't have personal experience with EVs, they will be clueless about this kind of stuff.

Even with all this, no regrets at all. I love it. Three months with no gas station!
Love that Bolt! And even at 200 mile range in real driving conditions, it's still more than good enough for a big percentage of the population that drives everyday.

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Make sure you account for winters in your range calculations. Battery efficiency drops off significantly once it drops to freezing temperatures. If you drive 180 miles per day, then a 200 mile range battery will leave you stranded when it gets near freezing! Cabin heaters are a significant load, and will have a big effect on your range. Also, highway speeds place a significantly higher drain on battery power than city speeds. My 84 mile round trip commute in the Bolt drains 1/3rd of my 230 mile battery, when the outside temperature was ~75F. When the outside temperature dropped to near freezing, that consumption went up to ~ 40% battery capacity. I keep the cabin temperature at 68F, and use the seat and steering wheel heaters. My overall estimated range has dropped from ~240 miles to ~200 miles.

The Bolt has an energy efficiency screen that shows you how much battery power goes to different usage. When my wife and kids are in the car and crank the heat up to 72F in near-freezing weather, battery conditioning and environmental power can pull nearly 20% battery power.

These are the things that most dealers can't tell you, and probably don't even know yet. If the salesman doesn't have personal experience with EVs, they will be clueless about this kind of stuff.

Even with all this, no regrets at all. I love it. Three months with no gas station!
Looks like your right at a 17% drop due to temp. In my 2014 Volt, I drop from 45 EV miles to 33 at freezing temps....that's a 26% drop......but still good enough for my running around town....it's nice being retired :D
I do run the heater AND the butt warmers :)

Burg

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Make sure you account for winters in your range calculations. Battery efficiency drops off significantly once it drops to freezing temperatures. If you drive 180 miles per day, then a 200 mile range battery will leave you stranded when it gets near freezing!

A friend of mine has been considering a Tesla for his next purchase. He has been renting the S on and off throughout the year for evaluation. Last winter he saw no "significant" change in battery while on Christmas vaca vs. summer vaca. Not truly scientific, but often real world out weights what you read or scribble on a napkin. I would go for 300 mile battery on the 3 though.

KD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Heck, even in my Volt, I haven't been to the gas station since JULY :p

I have had my 2014 Volt for 3 months, started doing longer trips because, why not! I filled up on $14 the other day for 3/4 tank, and will probably run maybe 10 miles a day on gas in the morning due to it being cold. I don't have the fancy seat or steering wheel heaters, but I'm ok with that. $14 for 3 months, I can do that!

I still much desire an Elio though!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We seem to have derailed 'the poor man's Tesla' Thread. Go FUV, it will be a fun everyday electric that takes care of many commuter's everyday driving needs.

The ear to ear grin on the test driver's face indicates she is having fun just sitting in the Blue FUV! I don't know about you, but If I had $$40 to $80K to spend on an electric vehicle, I'd spend $12K on the Arcimoto FUV to supplement my primary vehicle. :)

IMG_9680.JPG

Top Bottom