• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Arcimoto

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio won't do a center light. They aren't a motorcycle. The Elio fits into the autocycle category which doesn't require center mounted headlights. These things DON'T fit into the autocycle category thus the headlight fiasco.
There still is NO federal autocycle category. The Elio will have to comply.
The states have no juristinction over that requirement. The states are required to follow federal requirements.
The states only have juristinction over helmet and license/endorsement law and things not defined by the NHTSA requirements.

Until a federal autocycle law is passed or a special exemption is granted to the Elio by the NHTSA...
The Elio will need to comply with the federal NHTSA motorcycle headlamp requirements in all states.

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I believe the autocycle is exempted from needing a center headlight, but it is a state by state thing. Federally, it's still a motorcycle. That's might be a good reason for the federal bill to be pushed through. We might have trouble with the few States that Elio hasn't been able to get the law changed. Just another hill for Elio to tackle. I think Sheldron is in charge of this. We're in good hands.
The Elio is an autocycle in at least 41 states. I'm looking for something more up-to-date than mid-2016.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There still is NO federal autocycle category. The Elio will have to comply.
The states have no juristinction over that requirement. The states are required to follow federal requirements.
The states only have juristinction over helmet and license/endorsement law and things not defined by the NHTSA requirements.

Until a federal autocycle law is passed or a special exemption is granted to the Elio by the NHTSA...
The Elio will need to comply with the federal NHTSA motorcycle headlamp requirements in all states.
That isn't decided on by states?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What’s the point of legislation to create a new Federal vehicle classification? For those that are anti-government regulation, if by some small chance the federal bill passes, there is potential for over-regulating the ‘New’ three wheeler autocycle classification to most likely include required crash testing. The fact that they are motorcycle classified is why Elio and others can get to market cheaper & faster by not having to jump through all the auto certification requirements. Frankly, my vote is to leave it as it is, to insure a more affordable Elio or any other future autocycle that comes to market.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That isn't decided on by states?
Nope. Unfortunately not under current law. There is a paragraph in the federal NHTSA requirements that specifically says...
That the states cannot vary from the equipment specifications and requirements in the federal documentation.

The states can only make their own requirements about things not covered in the NHTSA requirements.
The NHTSA requirements include MC headlamp specifications in the federal requirements.

According to the NHTSA definition and requirement documentation...
The Elio's body width, tandem (non-side-by-side) seating and 3-wheel configuration puts it in the NHTSA MC classification.

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nope. Unfortunately not under current law. There is a paragraph in the federal NHTSA requirements that specifically says...
That the states cannot vary from the equipment specifications and requirements in their federal documentation.

The states can only make their own requirements about things not covered in the NHTSA requirements.
The NHTSA requirements include MC headlamp specifications defined in the federal requirements.

According to the NHTSA definition and requirement documentation...
The Elio's body width, tandem (non-side-by-side) seating and 3-wheel configuration puts it in the NHTSA MC classification.
Okay. hmm... Well, at least I won't have to wear a helmet!

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Arcimoto is also experimenting with what appears to be a dampened hitch.
An insider has reported that stability, performance and ride are not noticeably affected.

IMG_20180817_125911.jpg

IMG_20180817_125918.jpg

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What’s the point of legislation to create a new Federal vehicle classification? For those that are anti-government regulation, if by some small chance the federal bill passes, there is potential for over-regulating the ‘New’ three wheeler autocycle classification to most likely include required crash testing. The fact that they are motorcycle classified is why Elio and others can get to market cheaper & faster by not having to jump through all the auto certification requirements. Frankly, my vote is to leave it as it is, to insure a more affordable Elio or any other future autocycle that comes to market.
I can see the reasoning even though I agree with "Be careful what you wish for, it may come back to bite you" sentiment.
Elio feels that the benefit of raising the standards for this type of vehicle will re-assure a skeptical public's thoughts on their safety...
And will outweigh the cost of manufacturers having to comply with stricter requirements in order for their products to be in the classification.
Elio already said they want the definition of any potential federal autocycle classification to be exactly what the planned Elio production vehicle already is.

Elio Motors would then be able to command the safety standard high ground when comparing the Elio to any other non-federal-autocycle 3-wheelers.
It might not prohibit the non-autocycle enclosed 3-wheeled MCs, but the theory is that it would make it harder for others to compete with the Elio.

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can see the reasoning even though I agree with "Be careful what you wish for, it may come back to bite you" sentiment.
Elio feels that the benefit of raising the standards for this type of vehicle will re-assure a skeptical public's thoughts on their safety...
And will outweigh the cost of manufacturers having to comply with stricter requirements in order for their products to be in the classification.
Elio already said they want the definition of any potential federal autocycle classification to be exactly what the planned Elio production vehicle already is.

Elio Motors would then be able to command the safety standard high ground when comparing the Elio to any other non-federal-autocycle 3-wheelers.
It might not prohibit the non-autocycle enclosed 3-wheeled MCs, but the theory is that it would make it harder for others to compete with the Elio.
This is where Elio's money went to good use. They wrote the rules for an autocycle and they will be the only ones (for now) that sell a vehicle that complies with it. All of the rest will have to abide by motorcycle rules.

I bet Elio has written the safety protocol and specs for the autocycle. Thus anyone else getting into the market will have to engineer their autocycle to the high standards that the Elio has.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is where Elio's money went to good use. They wrote the rules for an autocycle and they will be the only ones (for now) that sell a vehicle that complies with it. All of the rest will have to abide by motorcycle rules.

I bet Elio has written the safety protocol and specs for the autocycle. Thus anyone else getting into the market will have to engineer their autocycle to the high standards that the Elio has.
Yes to Elio Motors writing the rules to a couple of POTENTIAL federal autocycle bills.
No to your last statement. Again, as of yet, there is NO federal autocycle classification.
The federal MC classification of the Elio sets the standard. The states cannot supersede.

Last edited:
Top Bottom