• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Arcimoto

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sorry guys. I was thinking that they just made 8-10 overpriced prototypes and then went back to developing it. I didn't realize they are in full production and cranking them out to customers on a daily basis. Anyone know how many they have sold at the base price of $12K? It has to be around 5K units by now.

Who here has one and what do you think of it?

Elio won't have to do the headlight thing because they have covered headlights over and over again in the blogs. If they had to, they would have mentioned it years ago and the E series would have them also.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio won't have to do the headlight thing because they have covered headlights over and over again in the blogs. If they had to, they would have mentioned it years ago and the E series would have them also.

I hope you are right, but if you look at the Electra Mecchanica Solo reservation page you see the option for a center headlight and the note "* Standard on all US vehicles" https://electrameccanica.com/product/solo-reservation/ The Canadian versions do not require the center headlight, but the US does. You can find pictures online of earlier Canadian versions of the Slingshot that did not have the center headlights either.

That makes me wonder how the Signature Series Arcimotos got away with not having the center lights. Maybe they were just too low production to get caught and grandfathered in?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hope you are right, but if you look at the Electra Mecchanica Solo reservation page you see the option for a center headlight and the note "* Standard on all US vehicles" https://electrameccanica.com/product/solo-reservation/ The Canadian versions do not require the center headlight, but the US does. You can find pictures online of earlier Canadian versions of the Slingshot that did not have the center headlights either.

That makes me wonder how the Signature Series Arcimotos got away with not having the center lights. Maybe they were just too low production to get caught and grandfathered in?
Arcimoto has been upgrading the Signature Series perhaps licensed as manufacturer test vehicles. Arcimoto will likely replace the Sig Series Center grill panel with the production FUV grill panel that seamlessly integrates the required center light.

I don’t care much for the EMV’s ‘cyclops’ styled center light on their SOLO.

29D85DE9-2739-48C6-A072-32D8F1E4EC14.jpeg

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This has to be fake news. I heard over and over again a while back how Arcimoto was in production and delivering to customers. So this news of beta and pilot testing has to be just made up news.

As for those extra headlights, that's obviously an afterthought as they look like they bought a set of cheap fog lights off of Amazon and slapped them on there.
Fake news? Nope but nice try. LOL
Those center lights are temporary and not the final design.
It appears to me that Arcimoto was either hoping to get an exemption somehow...
Or, they didn't catch that requirement and got blindsided with it when in the compliance certification process.

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sorry guys. I was thinking that they just made 8-10 overpriced prototypes and then went back to developing it. I didn't realize they are in full production and cranking them out to customers on a daily basis. Anyone know how many they have sold at the base price of $12K? It has to be around 5K units by now.

Who here has one and what do you think of it?

The Elio will have to comply with the NHTSA motorcycle regulations. That means that they will have to have a center headlight fixture.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Three more Beta FUV’s used for testing and Experience Center test drives roll out the AMP. Temporary Center headlamps added as part of the motorcycle validation process. The final Center headlamp design will likely reveal on the upcoming Q4 Pilot Fleet.
I was curious how Elio would handle the required center headlight. Likely a hood-scoop styled headlamp similar to what EMV did for the USA destined SOLO’S.

View attachment 22759
Elio won't do a center light. They aren't a motorcycle. The Elio fits into the autocycle category which doesn't require center mounted headlights. These things DON'T fit into the autocycle category thus the headlight fiasco.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They are in production and delivering to customers, but it is limited production. Looks like they had 8-10 Signature series, plan on 15 Beta series, etc... as they move towards mass production.

https://insideevs.com/arcimoto-delivers-signature-series/

If Elio had made their fleet 100 and leased them to fleet customers, we could say Elio was in production. Like that. Not mass production, but at least they are hitting the road and customer's driveways.

Agreed that the headlights look like an afterthought but that is because they were. I bet the production versions will be better designed. They probably thought the autocycle classification would be farther along or that they could somehow get around it like Elio seems to be thinking. I would not be shocked if Elio has to adopt central headlights too, like the Slingshot did.
2015_polaris_slingshot-4-jpg.1657
Elio won't. The Elio is an autocycle. The slingshot is a motorcycle. (in category, anyway)

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio won't do a center light. They aren't a motorcycle. The Elio fits into the autocycle category which doesn't require center mounted headlights. These things DON'T fit into the autocycle category thus the headlight fiasco.
Based on current Federal vehicle classifications the Elio (three wheeler motorcycle) will have to go through the validation process and meet the current NHTSA requirements to manufacturer certify. The Elio WILL currently register and license as a motorcycle in all 50 States. Individual States have legislated their individual autocycle definitions, creating the autocycle subclass to waive their State’s motorcycle endorsement and helmet requirements.

Reaction score
Yeah, I believe the autocycle is exempted from needing a center headlight, but it is a state by state thing. Federally, it's still a motorcycle. That's might be a good reason for the federal bill to be pushed through. We might have trouble with the few States that Elio hasn't been able to get the law changed. Just another hill for Elio to tackle. I think Sheldron is in charge of this. We're in good hands.

Top Bottom