• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Arcimoto

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just don't like how it looks. It's too beach toy and not enough practical city commuter for me. Perhaps I'm not the target audience but I would rather drive a Sam or Elio to work. I could see the arcimoto more tooling around a zoo.
The Arcimoto is going to do well in retirement communities. So, SoCal, Florida and Hawaii. The company knows this as they are not planning to make 100K of them per year. A friend of mine that is retired and lives in Hawaii would buy an Arcimoto and would be the guy that calls on the phone and says, "Gimmie a blue one!" He will be happy that he will get on in a week since Arcimoto is super close to that type of customer. He will probably sell his hpped up GEM and just use the Arcimoto to show of to his other retired friends which will be calling Actimoto and saying "Gimmie a (insert color here) one!". It's good to see that this company will capitalize on that because summer is around the corner and they sales will go through the roof since they can deliver on those. Elio is in the same situation but we just don't know when the average person can walk into an Elio dealer and say, "Gimmie a blue one" and two days later it's there ready to have fun in.

As for Arcimoto selling them to people in my area, I see that as a niche of a niche of a niche. I look at 80% of the US being that way. I honestly don't see what the Arcimoto could offer me as it doesn't really hold too much and the summer when it's not raining is pretty much the only real time I'd use it. In the end, it's buying yet another piece of equipment because you want it, not need it.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just don't like how it looks. It's too beach toy and not enough practical city commuter for me. Perhaps I'm not the target audience but I would rather drive a Sam or Elio to work. I could see the arcimoto more tooling around a zoo.
I gotta like the looks, function, and performance of the vehicle I drive........so I understand why you have no interest. I think it looks less beachy with the hardshell enclosure panels and cargo tail box in place. The FUV is what it is, a fun utility vehicle that will take me to the beach, the bar, and beyond with emphasis on the FUN factor at 80 smiles per hour.

B522F78C-FF93-489E-832E-026C3E59CC11.jpeg A3797F18-31FA-4B63-A550-39E02A54FDE6.jpeg 010E1D9D-CD9C-4514-8F64-053F81255FC4.jpeg

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Arcimoto is going to do well in retirement communities. So, SoCal, Florida and Hawaii. The company knows this as they are not planning to make 100K of them per year. A friend of mine that is retired and lives in Hawaii would buy an Arcimoto and would be the guy that calls on the phone and says, "Gimmie a blue one!" He will be happy that he will get on in a week since Arcimoto is super close to that type of customer. He will probably sell his hpped up GEM and just use the Arcimoto to show of to his other retired friends which will be calling Actimoto and saying "Gimmie a (insert color here) one!". It's good to see that this company will capitalize on that because summer is around the corner and they sales will go through the roof since they can deliver on those. Elio is in the same situation but we just don't know when the average person can walk into an Elio dealer and say, "Gimmie a blue one" and two days later it's there ready to have fun in.

As for Arcimoto selling them to people in my area, I see that as a niche of a niche of a niche. I look at 80% of the US being that way. I honestly don't see what the Arcimoto could offer me as it doesn't really hold too much and the summer when it's not raining is pretty much the only real time I'd use it. In the end, it's buying yet another piece of equipment because you want it, not need it.
The FUV is an ‘&’ vehicle like the Elio. As a member of the retiree market demographic, I ‘need’ the FUV as a supplement to my primary vehicle and ‘want’ it even more after my test drive for the fun factor. The urban commuter market will likely exceed the retirement community market. Gimmie an orange one! If the Arcimoto proves public acceptance of a three wheeler commuter and sells like hot cakes, that would be good marketing news for Elio Motors and their future investors.

Last edited:

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like that the tax credit goes to something practical. I don't think Tesla buyers should have ever gotten a tax credit for buying a luxury toy. I think the Volt buyers should have though. Putting money towards actual transportation and helping a start up seems like a win win to me.

I imagine that Sam could benefit from this as well..

If the Arcimoto wasn't so tall I'd be tempted to get one. They are still struggling with design in my opinion. A little more car and a little less dune buggy would go a long way.

While I agree that there are many Tesla owners that are over-the-top wealthy, there are those of us that are stretching our budgets. The $7500 tax credit helped us quite a bit with our MX, and I assure you that it is not used as a "toy." There is a very wide price difference between Tesla trims, as well.

The major reason why Teslas are priced as high as they are is because battery technology is expensive. The purpose behind the tax credit was specifically to incentivize the purchase of an EV drivetrain. Because people purchased Teslas the cost of batteries has come down massively over the last 5 years. You also have to remember that you need to have enough income to qualify for the $7500 rebate...and that's typically going to be people with higher income.

You have to give credit where it's due. Acrimoto is able to sell their FUVs at this price point because Tesla convinced a bunch of people to take a chance on BEVs from a start-up automotive manufacturer. The tax credit has served its purpose well, IMHO.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The FUV is an ‘&’ vehicle like the Elio. As a member of the retiree market demographic, I ‘need’ the FUV as a supplement to my primary vehicle and ‘want’ it even more after my test drive for the fun factor. The urban commuter market will likely exceed the retirement community market. Gimmie an orange one! If the Arcimoto proves public acceptance of a three wheeler commuter and sells like hot cakes, that would be good marketing news for Elio Motors and their future investors.
For me, I never understood why people compare an Arcimoto to an Elio. They only similarity is just the fact both have three wheels, hauls two people and from there it stops. It would be like comparing a Miata to a Ford GT. They both have 4 wheels and haul 2 people. Arcimoto is just making a fun vehicle that yuo park when it's not an ideal condition. It becomes a garage queen.

As for the Elio, it's to be used anywhere in the US and in any weather. It's not to be a garage queen and not marketed at all for the people who want just a fun car on the side just to mess around with. There will be a few that will have the Elio garage queen but that's not what Elio has done to build their company around. If that was the case, they would have made them back in 2010 and cranked out 5k per year. They are making it like the Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla of three wheelers. Safe, good gas mileage, can be serviced on over 800 locations and use 365 days a year.

Arcimoto's business plan would be more like Vanderhall or Polaris. Then add into that, the electric golf cart market. It's a great plan and that's what we should really be celebrating. The Elio is going to be the workhorse of the three wheeler arena. So it's great that Arcimoto goes into production in about a month and they are up and running but it's limited for their audience and they know it.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For me, I never understood why people compare an Arcimoto to an Elio. They only similarity is just the fact both have three wheels, hauls two people and from there it stops. It would be like comparing a Miata to a Ford GT. They both have 4 wheels and haul 2 people. Arcimoto is just making a fun vehicle that yuo park when it's not an ideal condition. It becomes a garage queen.

As for the Elio, it's to be used anywhere in the US and in any weather. It's not to be a garage queen and not marketed at all for the people who want just a fun car on the side just to mess around with. There will be a few that will have the Elio garage queen but that's not what Elio has done to build their company around. If that was the case, they would have made them back in 2010 and cranked out 5k per year. They are making it like the Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla of three wheelers. Safe, good gas mileage, can be serviced on over 800 locations and use 365 days a year.

Arcimoto's business plan would be more like Vanderhall or Polaris. Then add into that, the electric golf cart market. It's a great plan and that's what we should really be celebrating. The Elio is going to be the workhorse of the three wheeler arena. So it's great that Arcimoto goes into production in about a month and they are up and running but it's limited for their audience and they know it.
I’m not comparing the styling and engineering specs of the Arcimoto and Elio, but rather stating that they are both three wheeler motorcycle classed vehicles and serve to supplement the primary vehicle. The same vehicle class comparison of Arcimoto to Elio as Arcimoto to Vanderhall, Polaris, and the CanAm Spyder, all three wheels.

The vast majority of the 3000+ Arcimoto reservationists wide range of demographics, wouldn’t consider a Vanderhall, Polaris, CanAm Spyder, or electric golf cart as an option. I would need to test drive the Elio before I make any work horse comparison of the 2 vehicles performance, handling, and driver comfort as a commuter vehicle.

Last edited:

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure that Arcimoto reservationists would not consider those other vehicles as each of them fills a different niche. The thing that separates the Elio from everything else in the 3-wheel segment is that its "niche" is anyone who commutes by car.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure that Arcimoto reservationists would not consider those other vehicles as each of them fills a different niche. The thing that separates the Elio from everything else in the 3-wheel segment is that its "niche" is anyone who commutes by car.
I agree, but say the same about the enclosed optioned Arcimoto. I like the Arcimoto’s Convertible (doors on/off) option of open driving on the nicest of days and enclosed with climate controll on the not so nice days. My guess is both the Arcimoto and Elio will have similar winter driving handling characteristics. I’d park both the Elio and FUV on snow days and drive my SUV.

Perhaps all three wheelers are niche market vehicles, until one proves wide demographic mass market appeal acceptance.

Last edited:

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
True. In my opinion, the motorcycle controls and higher cost shrink the market considerably compared to the Elio, but there's no denying that a fully enclosed and climate controlled Arcimoto will make an excellent commuter vehicle. I'd consider getting one if we had the same subsidies available in AZ as those in Oregon. Unless that happens soon (or Elio production starts), I'm likely going to be looking into the purchase of a used Nissan Leaf that falls into the same cost range as the unsubsidized base Arcimoto.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"In 2007, we set out to build the world’s most affordable and efficient everyday electric vehicle that also happens to be insanely fun to drive. At long last, the wait is nearly over. Today, we are proud to announce the first retail series FUV, the FUV Evergreen Edition.

The Evergreen Edition is and will always be our top-of-the-line, flagship FUV. It sports a top speed of 75-mph, an estimated city range of 100 miles per charge, and comes pre-loaded with heated seats, heated grips, Bluetooth audio, removable doors, lockable rear storage, a Level 1 charging cable, and HOV lane access. Customers will have their choice of base and accent colors. Rockstar parking comes standard. You can check out our first teaser of the Evergreen below."

"Priced at $19,900 before gas savings, available tax credits, and rebates, the Evergreen is our commitment to making an everyday electric vehicle that is as efficient, affordable and fun as possible. Depending on location, FUV owners may also qualify for sales tax exemptions, utility rate discounts, free parking, toll discounts, insurance discounts, and other benefits.

Starting today, we are accepting Evergreen reservations for our earliest pre-order customers in Oregon, California, and Washington. We expect to deliver the first 100 Evergreens by end of June 2019, with the goal to deliver all current US-based pre-orders by the end of Q2, 2020.

As we scale operations and drive down costs, we intend to introduce more options and accessories and ever more affordable variations of the FUV.

To all of our pre-order customers, some of whom have waited a decade for their FUVs, thank you for your patience and support. It is because of you that the FUV is about to become a reality. Getting groceries need never be boring again.

Have questions? Check our our Evergreen FAQ for answers. Still have questions? Drop us a line at info@arcimoto.com.

Thanks for reading. We’ll have a lot more to share soon.

Let the fun begin!
Team Arcimoto"

Top Bottom