• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Arcimoto

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really wish they had shown the removable doors in the video. I like how they cleaned up the headlight situation, though.

At nearly $20k I am seeing so many comments about how you can get a gently used Leaf for that price. Yeah, I can also get a clapped out DeLorean for that price, different target audiences...

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really wish they had shown the removable doors in the video. I like how they cleaned up the headlight situation, though.

At nearly $20k I am seeing so many comments about how you can get a gently used Leaf for that price. Yeah, I can also get a clapped out DeLorean for that price, different target audiences...

As a former LEAF owner, anyone paying $20k for a used one (3 years old) is making a poor financial decision. Our LEAF was a good vehicle...but I believe our lease price was based on $23k....and this was a brand new SV trim model.

mkiker2089

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I gotta like the looks, function, and performance of the vehicle I drive........so I understand why you have no interest. I think it looks less beachy with the hardshell enclosure panels and cargo tail box in place. The FUV is what it is, a fun utility vehicle that will take me to the beach, the bar, and beyond with emphasis on the FUN factor at 80 smiles per hour.

View attachment 23266 View attachment 23267 View attachment 23269

Exactly, it's not really a "green" vehicle as much as it's for places people otherwise would have walked or cycled. It's a golf cart that can be street legal. I just hoped for more. I guess it's from my frustration that nothing Elio-like is on the market yet.

As for Arcimoto selling them to people in my area, I see that as a niche of a niche of a niche. I look at 80% of the US being that way. I honestly don't see what the Arcimoto could offer me as it doesn't really hold too much and the summer when it's not raining is pretty much the only real time I'd use it. In the end, it's buying yet another piece of equipment because you want it, not need it.

There are niches so small that the target audience is going to be too limited. I would say the F series truck for example isn't niche as it sells tons. Corvettes are niche but with a reasonable market. Going after a niche is risky and going after a niche already well served by Cushman, Polaris, golf carts etc is even more risky. I trust them enough to own three shares of stock but I think they really need a second product to open up the options. That price has to come down as well. A niche product is also going to be limited by how much those people are willing to put into the niche. The Chevrolet Spark is niche for people wanting boiled down essence of driving. The price fits that niche. 5-10k more and it wouldn't work.

I get that Arcimoto isn't for me and it's just personal preference. I don't get them putting all their support behind one very niche design. I just don't see people in Oregon driving these to work unless they live in a large city and work fairly close to home.

The SAM is going to eat their lunch if it keeps progressing at it's current rate. You can "fun" in it and it isn't giant and ungainly. you can also drive it to work.

mkiker2089

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As a former LEAF owner, anyone paying $20k for a used one (3 years old) is making a poor financial decision. Our LEAF was a good vehicle...but I believe our lease price was based on $23k....and this was a brand new SV trim model.

I'd buy a used Volt for a good price but right now used electric cars are a gamble. Battery technology doesn't age very well and these cars were pushing the limit when they were new. turn the heat too high and suddenly you won't make it home. Li-Ion has a sharp cut off at around 2 years last time I checked and 5 years is when it's pretty much toast. I'm told that it's physical degradation so all the "reconditioning" schemes by savy salespeople are just snake oil.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Disappointed! ‘Affordable’ has been removed from Arcimoto’s decade long marketing equation for many of the earliest Oregon, Washington, and California reservationists that are unable to afford the $20K Evergreen.

Last edited:

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd buy a used Volt for a good price but right now used electric cars are a gamble. Battery technology doesn't age very well and these cars were pushing the limit when they were new. turn the heat too high and suddenly you won't make it home. Li-Ion has a sharp cut off at around 2 years last time I checked and 5 years is when it's pretty much toast. I'm told that it's physical degradation so all the "reconditioning" schemes by savy salespeople are just snake oil.

BEVs with proper BMS do not have the degradation issues you see in the original LEAF, or cell phone/laptops. As I posted several days ago, a Model X has 350k miles and only ~12% degradation. Li-Ion suffers losses from cycling, if you can decrease the amount the cells are cycled, and keep them in their ideal temperature range, you can significantly increase their longevity.

Battery management is the most important consideration when purchasing a BEV, which is why I can't recommend the new LEAFs...or the older ones.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Disappointed! ‘Affordable’ has been removed from Arcimoto’s decade long marketing equation for many of the earliest Oregon, Washington, and California reservationists that are unable to afford the $20K Evergreen. The Evergreen Edition meaning for me is “Show me the Money”. A $20K FUV should be option loaded to include hardshell enclosure panels.
arcimoto-fuv-evergreen-silver-green-xx1200-800-0-185.jpg

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, according to this electrek article they are still eventually shooting for an $11,900 base price: https://electrek.co/2019/02/07/arcimoto-sales-fuv-electric-vehicle/

According to Arcimoto’s Founder and President Mark Frohnmayer:

“In 2007, we set out to build the world’s most affordable and efficient everyday electric vehicle that also happened to be insanely fun to drive. The FUV Evergreen Edition is the realization of that vision. With the FUV, you save money on gas, time on parking, and your daily commute is transformed into a pure electric joyride. Finally, a practical, American-made solution to the two greatest challenges facing the world today: global warming and getting groceries.

As we scale operations and drive down costs, we intend to introduce even more affordable variations until we hit our target base price of $11,900. The Evergreen epitomizes our commitment to an American-made everyday electric vehicle that is affordable for everyone. It is the FUV by which all other FUVs will be measured.”

I am assuming the "top of the line" Evergreen Edition would have the hard sided doors for that price, but I have not seen actual mention of what they mean when they said "removable doors". And the doors does not necessarily mean windows or full enclosure. I guess we will see!

Top Bottom