• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Back Seat Question

Lawrence G.

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
In another thread about offering suggestions to help EM reach their $6800 goal, there was a little talk about the back seat. I didn't want to hijack that so I offer this thread.
I don't think this has been brought up before, so I am asking what ya'll think about this. How about a back seat that would be easily and quickly removed and reinstalled. I am thinking about a latch or two that would accomplish this...no tools required. Maybe pull a latch and somehow maneuver it through the rear hatch. Some small wheels would be nice like found on luggage to take it to the garage. I doubt the seat is very heavy.
Most of the time my Elio would be used for a 250 mile weekly commute by myself and don't need the back seat. As I said, it's probably pretty light and really wouldn't add much to MPG, but it may have other benefits. As we all know, cargo space is very minimal. With the seat removed, would that space increase any significant amount?
I can see where a person might be able to load a few more groceries, or another piece of luggage. In my case, it would give me more room to haul that new tool I just cannot live without from the store and my wife could more easily carry a rescue dog or two or three or four to the vet or their new forever homes.
I haven't seen the car personally, so I can't tell if the increase would much or not. Some of you have.
I don't want to add too much to the complexity or cost to the Elio, but just wondering out loud. Thanks.

Lawrence G.

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Hi, Removeable seat, set up for a dog. Elevate it, different size dog, view. Love the concept, hope EM checks it out. It can be made very versatile.

My dog is a rescue too HSBC, Rocky will love the view, his will be elevated, small terrier. Hope there is good flow through ventilation.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi, Removeable seat, set up for a dog. Elevate it, different size dog, view. Love the concept, hope EM checks it out. It can be made very versatile.

My dog is a rescue too HSBC, Rocky will love the view, his will be elevated, small terrier. Hope there is good flow through ventilation.
As an accessory, the rear windows will be able to flip out, and give Rocky fresh air

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The back seat itself is part of the structure of the car. It's actually just a step in the floor pan over the fuel tank. The cushions for the seat and lower seat back and the folding upper section of the seat back could be removed but it really isn't going to gain a lot of room.

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Folding down the seat or quick removal will add approx 24" - 30" to the cargo area length. I seriously doubt I will ever have a tandem passenger ,
therefore no need for the back seat . For me the Elio is all about solo commuting and some possible business applications .

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Folding down the seat or quick removal will add approx 24" - 30" to the cargo area length. I seriously doubt I will ever have a tandem passenger ,
therefore no need for the back seat . For me the Elio is all about solo commuting and some possible business applications .
The back seat does fold down; that's been standard since it first came out. Removal won't change much; the full lower cushion area, and the bottom 1/3 of the backrest are part of the car (the fuel tank is under it) the top 2/3 of the seat are what fold.
Since it does fold, I imagine you could disconnect it at the hinge points and remove it, and then remove the cushion for the lower part of the seat to get the absolute most space. You might gain 1.5 cubic feet.

KD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Removing the seat would allow you to carry a spare tire. Do you carry both sizes or just one? And, if just one, which?

"still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions"

Oh joy. Toting not 1, but 2, spare tyres. Do you really think 1 or the other, much less both would fit? For a highly unlikely event such as blowout?

AAA is much handier for such things. Plus they come to your rescue when other bizarre things go south when you least expect it!

I say use that precious cargo/seat area for useful items you never knew you needed or wanted when on driving expeditions...

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh joy. Toting not 1, but 2, spare tyres. Do you really think 1 or the other, much less both would fit? For a highly unlikely event such as blowout?

AAA is much handier for such things. Plus they come to your rescue when other bizarre things go south when you least expect it!

I say use that precious cargo/seat area for useful items you never knew you needed or wanted when on driving expeditions...
My car insurance includes road side service and towing; plus my AARP has some kind of road help as part of the program.
That's why I never bothered with Triple A.

And like others have said; a can of Fix-A-Flat (or something like it) is good enough to get you going if you're outside of phone coverage .
If you're really out in the boonies, I'd drive it on the rim if I had to.
I really don't plan on racing Baja with it.

If you're still really worried about it, I'd suggest shopping for a set of run flats.
With the way tires are constructed now, they are much more durable than they were 5 or 10 years ago.

Top Bottom