• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Carl Icahn Want Pep Boys To Exit The Auto Repair Business!

HonestTex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
while it may well be an interesting mental exercise to attempt to determine the number of Pep Boys service centers, the reality is, it matters little .... Pep Boys either will or won't end up providing warranty service .... if they don't, it doesn't matter how many they have .... if they do, per EM, service will be provided where they have the facilities and other arrangements will be made for areas where they don't
100% correct. Interesting mental exercise. I will change my own oil, wiper blade, and top off coolant and brake:thumb: fluid. Manual tranny eliminates fluid and filter change there. So I'm good whichever way it goes...

Karg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In the 1950s my bothers and I were also thinking about going into the Auto Repair business.
We, however changed our minds because of the communist scare.
After all, what red blooded, beer guzzling redneck, would ever take their car to the Marx Brothers.
So we decided to keep our comedy act going.
I sure hope, one day to get my Elio, otherwise, the last laugh is on me.

John-b-gone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I get my elio, I will pay a visit to my local Pep Boys and ask them questions regarding them servicing my vehicle during the warranty period. I will do this to shock them because I suspect they will know nothing about the Elio. This would be done in hopes of making them ready when/if I do need them.

Perhaps all of us should do this.
On Jan.25th I did just that this was my post: So I just called up my local Pep Boy's and asked if they had 175/65 R15 studded snow tires, and to my delight.... You would have to order them but they are Continental. Another plus was the tire salesman I talked to was fully aware of the Elio and that they were going to be their service representative. Around $80+

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On Jan.25th I did just that this was my post: So I just called up my local Pep Boy's and asked if they had 175/65 R15 studded snow tires, and to my delight.... You would have to order them but they are Continental. Another plus was the tire salesman I talked to was fully aware of the Elio and that they were going to be their service representative. Around $80+

Your post made me look up the legality of studded snow tires in MO. People out here have never heard of them. Apparently, they are!
We don't normally get a lot of snow. Mostly icy sleety crap which is slick as snot, but maybe I'll get an extra set of rims with studded snows for just such occasions. That, or just stay home. :D

From MoDot website:

307.171. 1. No person shall operate any motor vehicle upon any road or highway of this state between the first day of April and the first day of November while the motor vehicle is equipped with tires containing metal or carbide studs.

2. Any person violating the provisions of this section is guilty of an infraction.
(L. 1976 S.B. 515 § 1, A.L. 1996 H.B. 1047)

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK, I'm not the best internet researcher, but I cannot find any reference to pep boys only having service depts. in only 500 locations. In their 2014 end of year statement they disclose 804 locations and 7500 service bays. That averages 9.32 bays per location. If the authors claims are correct, the 500 service locations would average 15 bays each. Does that seem excessive?
2016-02-20 09_21_37-9992 President St - Google Maps.jpg

10 near me.

Aprilia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I spent a bit of time reviewing old Pep Boys 10-Q/10-K reports to attempt to define the nature of Elio's current business agreement with Pep Boys...

Here's what I found per an old SEC filing..."We entered into a preliminary memorandum of understanding as a first step towards securing this working relationship"

This is the only statement that ever mentions Elio Motors in a Pep Boys 10-Q/10-K report...

It appear that there is currently no contract in place between Elio & Pep Boys...this would have to be disclosed in previous Pep Boys 10-Q/10-K filings...

Thus... Mr Icahn does not have a formal...or enforceable business relationship with Elio due to previously signed contracts...

Carl will make his own decision with regards to the Pep Boys/Elio Motors relationship going forward...

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I spent a bit of time reviewing old Pep Boys 10-Q/10-K reports to attempt to define the nature of Elio's current business agreement with Pep Boys...

Here's what I found per an old SEC filing..."We entered into a preliminary memorandum of understanding as a first step towards securing this working relationship"

This is the only statement that ever mentions Elio Motors in a Pep Boys 10-Q/10-K report...

It appear that there is currently no contract in place between Elio & Pep Boys...this would have to be disclosed in previous Pep Boys 10-Q/10-K filings...

Thus... Mr Icahn does not have a formal...or enforceable business relationship with Elio due to previously signed contracts...

Carl will make his own decision with regards to the Pep Boys/Elio Motors relationship going forward...
And none of this matters because Paul has stated that there will be a secondary source for warranty service; but has not made a decision on what company that will be. This was stated earlier in this thread.

Aprilia why do you continue to post negative items against Elio Motors?

Top Bottom