• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Concept Vs Production Car

pj rogers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a favor to ask the person going to the next elio tour stop. Please measure, with a tape if you can, how wide is the entire back seat area...from wall to wall. I own a 2012 mazda 2, love the car, (named zoomy,) and it does handle well and I get over 40mpg on the highway. The 2 is about the same size as the elio, just cut the 2 in half and you can kind of see what i mean. The rear seat is 48" wide. and has 3 seat belts, (???) and is considered a 5 passenger car..
I am hoping and praying to the car gods with the 15 month delay, the engineers try and create a bench seat and that the elio can somehow fit a TWO SMALL PERSONS rear bench seat making the elio a 3 person vehicle. Looking at the roll cage pictures, it just might be able to do it..I would gladly take a 4 star crash rating for the ability to put a person back there and have enough room to put say a back pack or a sports bag with shoes and gloves etc. Even two small children would be a big help..The bench shouldn't weight any more than a bucket seat. This change would make the elio into a world wide million seller from the day it rolled off the assembly line. We now have the time to make one don't we.?

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a favor to ask the person going to the next elio tour stop. Please measure, with a tape if you can, how wide is the entire back seat area...from wall to wall. I own a 2012 mazda 2, love the car, (named zoomy,) and it does handle well and I get over 40mpg on the highway. The 2 is about the same size as the elio, just cut the 2 in half and you can kind of see what i mean. The rear seat is 48" wide. and has 3 seat belts, (???) and is considered a 5 passenger car..
I am hoping and praying to the car gods with the 15 month delay, the engineers try and create a bench seat and that the elio can somehow fit a TWO SMALL PERSONS rear bench seat making the elio a 3 person vehicle. Looking at the roll cage pictures, it just might be able to do it..I would gladly take a 4 star crash rating for the ability to put a person back there and have enough room to put say a back pack or a sports bag with shoes and gloves etc. Even two small children would be a big help..The bench shouldn't weight any more than a bucket seat. This change would make the elio into a world wide million seller from the day it rolled off the assembly line. We now have the time to make one don't we.?
Hello PJ. I don't know if this helps any, but this information is on Elio's website.

Interior measurements are as follows:
Headroom: Driver 39.8 Passenger 36.4 in
Seat width: Driver 20.6 Passenger 25.3 in
Interior Shoulder Width: 26.8 in
Front seat Legroom: 42.7 in
Rear seat Legroom: 33.1 in

pj rogers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Great DWR, that means we need 23" to get a bench seat in there..and make room for a another person or a object like a back pack. A 12" piece of pipe(s) on either side would do it, and angle body piece would be a snap and actually might improve the aero like a coke bottle shape. (indy cars) ..plus a bigger trunk.....might add a little weight but the impact of this... is the new ad!
Elio Motors introduces the new 2016 Elio. A 3 PASSENGER, 75 MPG, AND A 4 STAR SAFETY RATING.
THE 2016 ELIO COMES EQUIPED WITH A 5 SPEED, TINTED GLASS, AIR CONDITIONING, AND CRUISE CONTROL AND STARTS AT ONLY $8795......reserve yours TODAY!

Hey EM if you are reading these comments, use the cad computer and make one and see if it can be done..it will sell millions..both here and overseas..

DBN477

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I do my own, except in the Kia I just bought for the wife. I went ahead and paid the extra for ALL the maintenance to e done for the first 60000 miles. That way, she can't yell at me for something being wrong with her car!!

Matter of fact, my truck has over 163000 miles on it, and I still change the oil and filter every three thousand miles. Also, I pay the extra for synthetic oil, as I know the protection it affords.

Curious why every 3k miles?

http://www.motorweek.org/features/goss_garage/oil_additives

I do oil analysis on my oil.
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/what-is-oil-analysis.php

Even my synthetic oil in my diesel Jetta still had detergent and life left after 9k miles.

DBN477

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's funny! Pay them no mind and to be honest, from all the negatives coming off their mouths, they're actually still very much "in love" with our ELIO, their hatred was directed to Paul Elio for all these delays so just to get one sooner, they actually wants to replace Paul to whoever will step on the plate and bring our Elio to reality. Here's the different groups of Elio fans that I think is worth mentioning to better understand where they're all coming from:
1) Die hard & true believers - They don't care how long it will take to get their Elios. They believe on the concept of bringing a fresh face in the automotive industry that will really make a difference by introducing an 84mpg gas engine reverse trike. They don't care if it's "unproven" (that's EM job- testing is key) and most of all they believe that an investment like this, win or loss could help our country by bringing jobs and less dependence in oil. (please feel free to add!)
2) Another toy!- Here's the other group that wants it "just because" it looks cool, wants to add it in their collection, don't really believe on the whole concept and really can't wait to modify this baby and turn it as a speed demon!
(I'll be a liar if I don't admit that I was in this group when I started, yep, I wanted turbo, bigger engine, etc. then I wised up! LOL)
3) Fall out of grace- They started as true believers of the concept, got impatient and now starting the blame game for not getting their Elio "as promised". Now they don't care what they get, 70 mpg is ok for them, Geo Metro motor is fine, don't care about the 5 star crash rating, don't care what's the final design anymore, etc. They're the one that all of a sudden started questioning the financial status of EM, the know it all about everything why EM is failing, etc., funny thing is they're the same one that didn't question anything when they got on board and made a blind faith deposits! LOL. They are the "give me my Elio" now or else I'll start these negative posts in here. So you see, we need to understand them not hate them because they may have started as smart people and they grew dumber by the minute. They don't know the difference between constructive criticism and just plain bashing without proof! By not replying on their post, they will simply get tired and go away. And don't worry because you'll see them come back with all good things to say when EM starts delivering our Elios! ;):D

5. Believed in it, realized they simply do not have the funds. Realize Paul Elio is in over his head (not a bad person, just in over his abilities). Post things like delay is due to lack of funding. Get attacked, idea dismissed...........Meanwhile Paul Elio does an article (someone else posted the link) citing funding for the delay. HMMMM.

6.Conspiracy theorists that believe Big Oil is afraid of Elio. Big Oil has not even noticed Elio, just like they didn't notice the Messerschmitt car, (you know that 3 wheel car with tandem seating 50 years ago). Want to use this excuse if Elio does not come out.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
5. Believed in it, realized they simply do not have the funds. Realize Paul Elio is in over his head (not a bad person, just in over his abilities). Post things like delay is due to lack of funding. Get attacked, idea dismissed...........Meanwhile Paul Elio does an article (someone else posted the link) citing funding for the delay. HMMMM.

6.Conspiracy theorists that believe Big Oil is afraid of Elio. Big Oil has not even noticed Elio, just like they didn't notice the Messerschmitt car, (you know that 3 wheel car with tandem seating 50 years ago). Want to use this excuse if Elio does not come out.
Big Oil also doesn't notice President Obama who is pushing to raise the CAFE... Gasp!

Triggs

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Older vehicles had different needs than newer models. Newer ones don't tear their oil up as fast. The Manufacturer specifically says not to change the oil in my truck until the truck self-identified that it was time. It did just that at 7,500 miles. Who am I to argue? It would have doubled my oil costs (14 quarts of synthetic aren't cheap)... not to mention the ridiculously expensive oil filter.

DBN477

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Big Oil also doesn't notice President Obama who is pushing to raise the CAFE... Gasp!

Big Oil is worried about the giga factory and massive lithium discovery in Wyoming.........But than again they could start selling patents.

creekstone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am hoping and praying to the car gods with the 15 month delay, the engineers try and create a bench seat and that the elio can somehow fit a TWO SMALL PERSONS rear bench seat making the elio a 3 person vehicle.
Three words...
Ain't Gonna Happen.:)

Without passing judgment on your idea, that would require going back to square one. Maybe down the road, Elio comes out with just such an autocycle as you suggest.

Top Bottom