• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Continental Kit For The Elio

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is my tire question, whille the rear tire seems to be a common size and allot of options, the front tire doesn't seem to have much choice and the one that is available is very expensive and is listed as a temporary tire.
Who is making the tire for Elio? I assume more options may become available after the car hits the road, but it would be nice if it used a more standard size tire.
Front:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?zip-code=&width=135/&ratio=80&diameter=15
Rear:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?zip-code=&width=175/&ratio=65&diameter=15
Continental is the vendor for the tires; plus they are fine tuning the brake system and ESP/Traction Control.
Why didn't they offer something else? Price per tire they worked out.
If you want to change it to something else after you get it, go right ahead; but don't expect them to change their vendor at this point.

nb2Mitch

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I am fine with the vendor, but when I go to the Continental website they don't list that size tire. It would just be nice if it was something more common, especially since you don't have a spare. Being stranded on the road with no options is never fun.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am fine with the vendor, but when I go to the Continental website they don't list that size tire. It would just be nice if it was something more common, especially since you don't have a spare. Being stranded on the road with no options is never fun.

Hey Mitch, IIRC, The front tire size isn't commonly used on anything in the US. It is needed tho, to achieve the MPG target. The rear tire must be wider than the front tires, in order to minimize "oversteer".
Yes, in the beginning we will be limited to only what Conti makes. Once there are a few hundred thousand Elios on the road, other tire makers will also want "a piece of the pie."

Tom Sleight

Elio Fan
Reaction score
When was the last time you had a flat? Tires are made a hell of a lot better than 20, 30 or 50 years ago. My Slingshot doesn't have a spare and I haven't lost a moments sleep over it.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When was the last time you had a flat? Tires are made a hell of a lot better than 20, 30 or 50 years ago. My Slingshot doesn't have a spare and I haven't lost a moments sleep over it.

For those who drive in remote areas or through bad neighborhoods, a spare is a necessity.
And fix a flat isn't enough.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't for years; but ask my daughter; she seems to have a flat every 3 to 5 months.
Cause? Most of the time a screw in the tire; she's got some great friends ....... not!

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Why not do one just for looks and non functional? You could maybe have it pop open and you can store the jack and leak sealer stuff inside; but just do it for looks rather than function; this way you can scale the size to have it fit.

Top Bottom