• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Dieselio

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Add the cost of a diesel to the anticipated price of an Elio and it puts it out of the market for many people. The goal is to get this into production. This is supposed to be a cost effective option to higher priced vehicles. Those who have the extra disposable income can retrofit it with whatever they want. What is the return on investment or cost benefit analysis of a gas Elio versus a diesel version?
I would expect the diesel option to break the <$7K mark. I'd still pop for it.

JNR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Diesel engines last way longer than gasoline engines which also figures into the equation. They run at a much lower RPM and put out more power. That equates to far less stress than your gasoline engine goes through to do the same job.
thanks, what would you suggest I do a life cost estimate such that diesel goes 300k, 400k, with no maint, but show gas at 200k with a replacement cost? Legit question, you seem to know a decent amount about this. I want my little quick summary to be fair. Can you address the cost upcharge estimate also?

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
thanks, what would you suggest I do a life cost estimate such that diesel goes 300k, 400k, with no maint, but show gas at 200k with a replacement cost? Legit question, you seem to know a decent amount about this. I want my little quick summary to be fair. Can you address the cost upcharge estimate also?
Not really we're just guessing ay this point.

Velnias

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I am sure Mr. Elio has considered all combinations but I wonder how an Elio would perform with a 3 cylinder motor such as that used in the Smart diesel. I think it would have a small environmental footprint and may be easier to get by the EPA. Apparently the Smart diesel can't but they are available new in Canada.

It's not that the Smart Diesel can't pass the EPA, it's that it would be too efficient for the oil companies to allow. The USA EPA standards are the lowest of all the industrialized nations. Cars meeting our emission standards would not be allowed in other nations because they pollute too much. Also, they expect cars in the USA to have certain items within the emission system that other nations don't. These items are old, obsolete and are no longer the best way to clean the emissions, so other nations don't require them since they have improved on them and moved on.

If you think I'm off, then consider this. In 2008, Kawasaki totally redid their Ninja 250. In the USA they kept it carbureted to keep the costs down. This was not possible in Europe due the carburetor system not being capable of meeting the EU emission standards. Thus, they made the 250 for everyone but the USA and Canada with fuel injection.

Don't be fooled by the false propaganda that claims we have strict EPA standards that stop vehicles from coming here. Our standards are considered a joke to other nations for how weak they really are. What we do have that is one of the highest are our safety standards. These standards can and do help prevent some vehicles from being allowed on the roads here.

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's not that the Smart Diesel can't pass the EPA, it's that it would be too efficient for the oil companies to allow....snip...
Please don't get offended but that's absurd. It's not easy to get a smog compliant diesel anymore. This caused earthquakes in the big truck market. Caterpillar stopped making truck engines for North America because they didn't want to deal with it any more.

Reactions: Ty

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Cost benefit of diesel vs gasoline makes it worth it.

By cost, I think he is stating that adding that engine would increase the cost of the car. Not the longterm cost of running it. Sounds like a lot of people would be interested if offered as an option, though. I just want them to get them coming off the line and then start adding aptions afterwards. I don't want any more delays

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
By cost, I think he is stating that adding that engine would increase the cost of the car. Not the longterm cost of running it. Sounds like a lot of people would be interested if offered as an option, though. I just want them to get them coming off the line and then start adding aptions afterwards. I don't want any more delays
trust me I get that it would cost more to start. I also get we won't see that option for several years.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know my truck gets better mileage than a gasoline equivalent but DANG, those oil changes are expensive! and let's not even get started about the Exhaust Fluid (yes, that's a real thing). I think the negative connotation that still follows diesel engines around (smoky, noisy, stinky, ... thank you, early VW attempts) would keep some people away from a diesel Elio. However, I think those negative connotations are going away. I also read somewhere that one of the auto manufacturers worked out how to build an engine that runs on gasoline but can "diesel" the way diesel engines do which increases their efficiency by letting them start up like a conventional gasser and switch to diesel (no ignition, high compression) at speed.

I could see a small diesel Elio down the road somewhere but the return on investment would be a long time coming as JNR pointed out.

Top Bottom