• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Direct Sales Banned In New Jersey

Brainmatter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The law was designed to protect current franchises‘, form the big 3 going rogue. Tesla has no franchises that need protecting. I think they will win.
That is essentially why Tesla won (for now) in MN. The wording of the law is that a manufacturer cannot compete directly with its own franchised dealers. Since Tesla has no franchised dealers in MN, the factory can sell directly here. Legislators were unwilling at this time to rewrite the law to exclude Teslas sales model.

ECAJohn

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I submitted a question on the EM site on this issue. I asked how they planned to deal with the issue, and I got this response:

Hi John,

We will adapt and adjust as necessary. There are a several pathways we are looking at.. but we don’t have the details yet. We long anticipated some problems in certain states and are preparing for them. Thanks! Joel

Joel Sheltrown
VP of Governmental Affairs

So...it sounds like they were not surprised and have strategies underway to deal with this.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Have we determined if this dealership dilemma affects motorcycle dealerships in regards to direct sales?

Last edited:

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Have we determined if this dealership dilemma affects motorcycle dealerships.
Since I was the first one to cast a vote in the poll as a non-motorcycle rider I have no idea what a motorcycle dealership is like. Are they that different from car dealerships? Hopefully they are not worse and it wouldn't take much to make them better.

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since I was the first one to cast a vote in the poll as a non-motorcycle rider I have no idea what a motorcycle dealership is like. Are they that different from car dealerships? Hopefully they are not worse and it wouldn't take much to make them better.
A little off base from the actual topic, but most that I have been to only have four to five employees, so it's similar to Elio's vision. Unfortunately though they don't have customers either. At least not enough to generate the numbers that Elio needs. More relevant to the topic; I believe that motorcycle dealerships in California are all independently owned (not owned by the manufacturing company). I may be wrong on this. Maybe someone else can more accurately answer this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ST13Fred

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There is more politics involved in getting a business started in the US than most realize.
Between our govt, lawyers and the maze of paperwork each can throw at a start-up company.....its' rough going.
Most argue the delays are funding based; I say the paperwork hurdles are the bigger issue.

DBN477

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There is more politics involved in getting a business started in the US than most realize.
Between our govt, lawyers and the maze of paperwork each can throw at a start-up company.....its' rough going.
Most argue the delays are funding based; I say the paperwork hurdles are the bigger issue.
and some people dismiss lack of funding as a non issue. Funding gets engines built. Funding gets the 18-26 mules built. Funding gets people in a near production version Elio for a test drive. Funding gets potential customers interested in the vehicle. If Elio gets a production vehicle ready for a waiting public, and Elio is prevented to sell to the public due to gov't regualtions, I'll agree with you ST13Fred. Until funding is secured this vehicle is not going to see production. It's like saying I'm going to build a $10 million mansion, and blaming the city and state for not allowing me to get the permits when I don't have the finalized plans for that house, oh and please ignore the fact I don't have $10 million.

Last edited:

Ralphe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hopefully they don't do anything to screw this up. I f you hear any more let us know so we can write letters. I have written letters to the governors of every state trying to get support for Elio. The best news so far came from New Mexico, I have attached a copy for you to read.
Jerry,
I won't mind writing to every Gov.. but I need help. Would you mind uploading a PDF of your original letter to them.

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree that paperwork, red tape and politics make it beyond difficult to get a business started. Unfortunately, getting people through to cut through the paperwork and red tape cost money. Lots of money. Roughly 170 million more than they currently have.
and some people dismiss lack of funding as a non issue. Funding gets engines built. Funding gets the 18-26 mules built. Funding gets people in a near production version Elio for a test drive. Funding gets potential customers interested in the vehicle. If Elio gets a production vehicle ready for a waiting public, and Elio is prevented to sell to the public due to gov't regualtions, I'll agree with you ST13Fred. Until funding is secured this vehicle is not going to see production. It's like saying I'm going to build a $10 million mansion, and blaming the city and state for not allowing me to get the permits when I don't have the finalized plans for that house, oh and please ignore the fact I don't have $10 million.
We can still blame the city and state. It will distract people, then maybe they won't notice that we're 10 million short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brainmatter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree that paperwork, red tape and politics make it beyond difficult to get a business started. Unfortunately, getting people through to cut through the paperwork and red tape cost money. Lots of money. Roughly 170 million more than they currently have.

We can still blame the city and state. It will distract people, then maybe they won't notice that we're 10 million short.
The problem is that no one knows what lines of credit or what funding is or is not available to Elio at this time. You saying that Elio has no funding is as pointless a statement as me saying I think they have funding. Fact is, neither of us have any idea.

Top Bottom