• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Diy Hands On Projects

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mine pales in comparison to Husker1's project...
Hearth almost done 20170118.jpg

It's almost done in this picture. The grout on the front and sides isn't done. This is in my basement. To the left of the Hearth is an electric heater/fireplace looking piece of furniture that didn't put out enough heat. Unfortunately, once I did the hearth and gas stove, she thought it looked too good to move. So, I now have a gas stove on a hearth in the corner and an electric entertainment center/fireplace under the TV. Some day, I'll get that thing out of there.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 6902 Another finished project! Having a silent auction at work for United Way, so thought I'd make a barstool for my donation. Came up with the idea while sitting at the game Saturday. Nebraska Football at its finest. :clap2:
I need a couple of those for the basement bar! I have a kid starting at Nebraska in Lincoln next year.

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since retirement, I've been straightening out the basement shop and actually having at a couple of projects. I have a friend in Texas who is building a 7 1/2" gauge garden railway. He needs gauges for building track that will hold the extruded aluminum rails at the right distance while they are fastened to the ties. Straight track is set at 7 5/8" and curves at 7 3/4". Here's a few shots of the shop and the straight track gauges in process a few days ago.
20170105_114644.jpg 20170121_112337.jpg 20170127_114414.jpg 20170202_111325.jpg

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Since retirement, I've been straightening out the basement shop and actually having at a couple of projects. I have a friend in Texas who is building a 7 1/2" gauge garden railway. He needs gauges for building track that will hold the extruded aluminum rails at the right distance while they are fastened to the ties. Straight track is set at 7 5/8" and curves at 7 3/4". Here's a few shots of the shop and the straight track gauges in process a few days ago.
View attachment 21286 View attachment 21287 View attachment 21288 View attachment 21289
Garden Gauge is so cool! But probably expensive too; great if you have the room to run it (like at least 1/2 acre)

Is his G gauge or O gauge?

You might find this interesting: https://www.familygardentrains.com/primer/o_gauge_outside/o_gauge_outside.htm

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 21286 View attachment 21287 View attachment 21288 View attachment 21289
Neat. Will your guides lift off to move them along or do they slide down the track to the next position?

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They're a close fit, so it's easier to roll them off and move them. The rail head is .490", so I was aiming for a .004" clearance. Randy uses a fixture to locate the ties (treated 2 x 4); I'm not sure of his assembly method. The "spikes" are washer head stainless sheet metal screws.

Coss, this will run between the house and the cabin on their 130 acres. I would guess the distance from the house to the cabin at about 600' in a straight line. Randy's plan is a loop at each end with spring switches. He stores their firewood at the carport at the cabin, so the Sally Gulch & Western will be a wood hauling line. :D

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They're a close fit, so it's easier to roll them off and move them. The rail head is .490", so I was aiming for a .004" clearance. Randy uses a fixture to locate the ties (treated 2 x 4); I'm not sure of his assembly method. The "spikes" are washer head stainless sheet metal screws.

Coss, this will run between the house and the cabin on their 130 acres. I would guess the distance from the house to the cabin at about 600' in a straight line. Randy's plan is a loop at each end with spring switches. He stores their firewood at the carport at the cabin, so the Sally Gulch & Western will be a wood hauling line. :D
Pretty slick. I was thinking "7 1/2" isn't big enough for anything". I was wrong. I didn't realize that gauge is big enough to ride even. My next thought was "Why don't I have one already?" :)

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Pretty slick. I was thinking "7 1/2" isn't big enough for anything". I was wrong. I didn't realize that gauge is big enough to ride even. My next thought was "Why don't I have one already?" :)

He has a few panels of straight track made up, and one of these for the grandkids. IIRC, he also has a locomotive chassis with a Honda engine and a hydrostatic transmission, and I know he's built two or three flatcars as well. I haven't been down since he started this.:cool:Rail_Pup_Silver_img_3.JPG

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
He has a few panels of straight track made up, and one of these for the grandkids. IIRC, he also has a locomotive chassis with a Honda engine and a hydrostatic transmission, and I know he's built two or three flatcars as well. I haven't been down since he started this.:cool:View attachment 21290
That's pretty slick. I had a little wooden car that Dad made me when I was a kid. There was a 2X4 with an axle in the front and rear. You steered with your feet pressing the 2X4. motivation was my brother pushing me. Sometimes I'd push him but mostly, he pushed me. The rail car looks a lot easier to move.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
He has a few panels of straight track made up, and one of these for the grandkids. IIRC, he also has a locomotive chassis with a Honda engine and a hydrostatic transmission, and I know he's built two or three flatcars as well. I haven't been down since he started this.:cool:View attachment 21290
Excellent, when you go make sure to take pictures/movies
I asked O gauge or G gauge because I saw 8 flat cars for $132.00 on eBay; I think they were O gauge.

Top Bottom