• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Diy Hands On Projects

Husker1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I asked Jerome for this since he and I had fun about the seat belt. But, anyways, I would love the front seat of my elio to lift and swivel out the door. Heck, since I'm doing the wishing here. have it slide out and wheels fold down. Snap it off and away this old lady can ride from the parking lot into the stores like a Queen. A battery pack that will charge while driving the elio. I wonder if the VA would pitch in for the R & D on this???

I like the idea of a swivel bucket seat!

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
A dealer / manufacturer has to be careful what they do for mods to seats and seat belts so that they don't come out of spec for safety.
I've done a number of modifications on seats for a dealer, but only after the customer took ownership of the vehicle. Once you own it, you can change it any way you want to; but since those changes were done after delivery the dealer / manufacturer is no longer responsible for what happens in the event of an accident.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remember when I was a kid my grandfather has a '57 or '58 Plymouth that had swiveling bucket seats. The idea is not really as far fetched as it sounds.

You are right! I have a friend who bought a Toyota Sienna van last year. He told me that the "middle row seats had that option. He said, the buckets would slide "forward and turn out" on a track. Then he told me why he didn't get them...it would have added $8,000 to the cost!!!!!! :scared:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The mid 70's Chevy's had swivel seats; cars like the 74 - 77 Monte Carlo, the same year Laguna and a couple of others
31742020005_large.jpg

If you can find the seat base (you don't need the whole seat) you can mount an Elio seat on it then figure out a way to mount it in the car.

The 64 Ford T-bird also had a swivel seat, plus they had a swing away steering column (that would always break the lock mechanism that would keep it in place). You would put it in park, turn it off, and you could move the steering wheel about a foot to the left; then you reach down and move a little lever on the seat and you could swivel it to face towards the door. Good ideas, that were poorly built.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
they have mentioned the front seat, I'm not sure if it's a lock, suffering from CRAFT, there will be folks gifted with long-term memory skills.
just in my cloud I think the steering wheel and seat are ford (mustang seat??) and chevy for the wheel.
I would think a neutral pattern might be best, as I wouldn't want my ass on something/someone I cherish. !!
You are right... Mustang Seat, Chevy steering wheel.

Husker1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IMG_0227.JPG
Ok back to the DIY projects. What's everyone been up to this winter? Here is one of my latest jobs at work. It's a divan in a Challenger 605 aircraft. A "tailored" all leather design. Has to be nice tight and stay that way after sitting in it. A time consuming job! I've got 180 hours into it. Let's see what the rest of you have been up to!

Top Bottom