• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Diy Hands On Projects

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Oh yea, one of my DIY projects inspired by Hood. Circulation in my hands isn't always so good. So I made thumbless, over-mittens from sleeping-bag(or jacket if you like) material with long sleaves. Had a velcro powered flap. Never wore regular gloves again. Maybe just thin leather to stop rubbing on the poles. Hands were always warm after that.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Where are all those projects? Ok, then I'll have to fill up the void! ;)

Here's one for studying Geodesic forms using cardboard. I call them GeoStars...they do make good lamps if you can find some computer punch-cards.
This one is a test in preparation for XMas.. All the 'standard' geostar patterns have multiples of six cards in them by count. I call this one a 4-3 pattern. Can you see why? ( notice that the red cards are along the equator line )
WP_20150727_13_52_19_Pro.jpg

Attached a better image of my Atlantric to celibrate cleaning up my garage so I have enough space to finish wet-sanding. ( OK maybe just cause I had one on hand ) Do you see the Bugatti heritage in it somewhere?
0000_n.jpg

Edited: Looks like Dr Who just flew it in from Saturn yes?, see Whomobile below.

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That looks great, Ari! Now, is this the plug for making molds? Or do you plan on cutting out the foam and making her a 'one-off' type thing. Looks like a nice rebody for an Elio. ;)
Yes, this is a skin-perfect (I try) plug. Tooling is the objective to make kit cars. At this point, I'm thinking of it as a full body upgrade for the Elio. Although I have not measured out the fit to the Elio engine. At worse case, I can re-profile the hood. I already did that a bit to allow more engine/motor options.

I think the best feature of this design is the use of removable tops. It opens to the side, both left or right, or lift clean off. I have like 8 other tops on paper. So you can get up to 8 cars in one, if you have a place to store the tops. Even custom build your own top.

In fact, I have a 'person of interest' coming (maybe) this weekend to look at it. He knows 'people', that's about all I can reveal. This is why the car is on my mind today.

Looks like Dr Who just flew it in from Saturn yes?

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Where are all those projects? Ok, then I'll have to fill up the void! ;)

Here's one for studying Geodesic forms using cardboard. I call them GeoStars...they do make good lamps if you can find some computer punch-cards.
This one is a test in preparation for XMas.. All the 'standard' geostar patterns have multiples of six cards in them by count. I call this one a 4-3 pattern. Can you see why? ( notice that the red cards are along the equator line )
View attachment 6290

Attached a better image of my Atlantric to celibate cleaning up my garage so I have enough space to finish wet-sanding. ( OK maybe just cause I had one on hand ) Do you see the Bugatti heritage in it somewhere?
View attachment 6292

Edited: Looks like Dr Who just flew it in from Saturn yes?, see Whomobile below.
That's a fabulous project! Very impressive. Hopefully the interested party becomes more than that! You can see the time and effort put into it. I do have a questions- "celibate cleaning up my garage"? I'm assuming you meant celibrate, right? Or was it the only way your wife could encourage you to tackle the job? Either way congrats on fininshing that always fun task. And on the Atlantric.

Oh I do have some projects I'm working on, I just have them on my camera and haven't transferred them yet. Since we downsized all my projects have to be able to be done in our condo, consequently all my power tools failed to make the move with us so I shifted gears. Now I'm creating linoleum cut prints on a press, a repurposed 1918, cast iron vulcanizer, that I attached to the top of a table that I made some years ago. I also want to do some mosaics eventually, I love the glass and the color.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Definitely post those glass projects! Are they tessellated mosaics? By definition I guess so! And your vulcanizer? Yes, I have no idea what that looks like, so post her soon!

( I did go back and fix that missing r, lol :doh: )

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the mosaic is a future project but definitely tessellated and fine Italian glass if I can afford it! I want to have it colorful and start in the kitchen, a backsplash (it will be smallish and only visible if you stand in front of the sink), to see if it's going to work and if I really like it enough to continue on. It will be a free form design, I think. When I get to that point, I'll get more concrete in my plans.

Here's a link to a very similar vulcanizer. I just added 3/4" plywood plates to the base and the top screw assembly. Works like a dream! To put together the whole press cost a whopping $47! I'll get examples of my prints on as soon as I can. https://www.etsy.com/listing/152529...id=152529603&gclid=CNK28ZPhgMcCFZKFaQodhgQNyg

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Okay... I'll share a project. This was done in Utah in the winter in a carport on base. We didn't have a garage and the house was too small for our family. To make more room, I figured I'd build loft beds for the girls and that way, they could have some floor space in their rooms. The girls helped build their own beds. I now have a 5 year old who inherited Child #2's bed. Child #1 is now a college graduate and expecting our first grandkid. These beds have survived 9 years and 2 military moves. (The oldest kid decided she didn't want a loft bed any more when she left for college so we sold it and gave her the money. I believe it sold for $500. Anyway, here is the project. (each bed was stained a different color and was designed to be taken apart and reassembled without becoming weaker each time)

Building Beds (2).jpg

The girls helped when they could. Taylor has the drill. Now that she is 16, she knows everything.

Building Beds (3).jpg

Shelby, in the black and red jacket couldn't see how they were going to go together. She was almost 15 at the time.

Building Beds (4).jpg

This handsome guy is, of course, an Atlanta Falcons fan (and me). (The door on the right and that whole wall was put up by us with the base's permission. It kept the snow out of the carport and with a heater going in there, it was almost bearable... I said almost.

Building Beds (5).jpg

The wall with the stop sign didn't go to the ceiling separating our half of the carport from the neighbor's. Luckily, she didn't mind my projects. In fact, my wall kept the snow out of her side as well, wind being what it is.

Building Beds (7).jpg

Yes, using rope to keep the uprights parallel during construction is a time honored tradition. In fact, I heard that the reason the Empire State Building wasn't built any taller was that they didn't have long enough rope...

Building Beds (8).jpg

My wife was supportive about the beds and, in fact, helped a lot. She ISN'T as supportive when it comes to my Elio. Sigh.

Building Beds (9).jpg

Sure, ham it up... The tarp in the background did a fairly decent job of keeping the cold out. not TOO good. I mean, notice the jackets and gloves.

Building Beds (11).jpg

Here is the final project. The electrical cord goes to a junction box built into one of the uprights that has a light switch/electrical outlet combo unit so the under-bed lights could be turned on and off and an alarm clock up there wouldn't have a really long reach.

Shelby's Bed.jpg

And this is what it looks like after a teenage girl gets done with it. without the bed, she wouldn't have been able to have a desk in her room, a bookshelf, or her toy box which her grandfather made (one per child) that is intended to transition into a hope chest. She insisted on keeping a futon couch that faces a wall mounted TV. That house was about 1200 ft/sq for a family of 5. I still don't know what Hill AFB was thinking... Minot AFB, our next move, had about 2,600 ft/sq. and was MUCH nicer... including a 2 car garage with room for my workbench and tools.

The best part about the project? I got to justify buying a compound miter slide... RIGID... Okay, the best part was building something with the kids that they'll remember. And THAT concludes my story.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Super nice! Good space saver. I have two walmart versions of that in steel, no where near as nice and no matching built-ins like you made! Sweet!

Top Bottom