• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Diy Hands On Projects

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here is a more complicated one. It's a Fulton circular plane, similar to a Stanley 113. By turning the knob on the front the sole plate can be made either concave or convex. It would be used on things like rockers, table edges, etc.. This plane was originally painted, this particular one was very rusty. Taking it apart was a challenge. The two arms with the gears could not be removed so the plating had to be done in stages, moving the arms to get good coverage.
Fulton circular plane.jpg

Reactions: Hog

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here is a group of tools I've nickel plated. Will be a while before I post more. Have surgery on Monday (a biopsy) and then my eye surgeon sees me on Wednesday for a checkup on my glaucoma. In the meantime my mother has hospice coming in and she will be moved from assisted living to nursing this week. That means we have to clean her apartment out. Not much time for anything else.

Group Plated.jpg

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This post actually has two different subjects. The first is a Chaplin Square that I cleaned and nickel plated. At first you may think that the picture shows two sets of squares, but actually it is the same one. The reason? It is a stereoscopic 3D image. What does that mean? Well the camera uses two lenses to take the picture. The two lenses are about the same distance apart as your eyes. Some people can slightly cross their eyes and see the resulting 3D image. There are special viewers available that makes it much easier. Originally invented in about 1838, they became more popular in the early 1900's. One museum in California has over 250,000 images. Here are two images to look at:
Chaplin Square.JPG
IMG_1089.JPG

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This post actually has two different subjects. The first is a Chaplin Square that I cleaned and nickel plated. At first you may think that the picture shows two sets of squares, but actually it is the same one. The reason? It is a stereoscopic 3D image. What does that mean? Well the camera uses two lenses to take the picture. The two lenses are about the same distance apart as your eyes. Some people can slightly cross their eyes and see the resulting 3D image. There are special viewers available that makes it much easier. Originally invented in about 1838, they became more popular in the early 1900's. One museum in California has over 250,000 images. Here are two images to look at:
My presbyopia issues did make this very difficult for me to do with out the traditional box.

Unassisted, I was able to get the cat into focus. Wow, he is really long, once 3d comes into play. I had to resize images for my display screen. The distance between the centers of the images have to match the distance between your pupils, or be even slightly less.

But I had real trouble getting the tool into focus. Finally I edited in a red line over a selected point on both images, then I put my face very close to it, and triied to imagine looking at a distant ship or sunset. Once the image locked, where three images appear, I could slowly sit back until sharper focus came back.

Once locked, the middle image has 3d, and the other two will be out of center and only 2d. The old boxes elimiate the images at the side, plus they use lenses make the close focus seem more distant, which all helps.

For the rest of us... The easiest way without a box; After resizing just under 2.5inches (63mm) between centers, put a sheet of cardboard (or envelope) on edge between the images on the display surface, and then put your nose against the edge closest to you. Then look to the imaginary distance, and try and relax your eyes. It should snap into place. With practice, you can ease back, until your sharper focus is restored. You can even drop the cardboard at that point.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My presbyopia issues did make this very difficult for me to do with out the traditional box.

Unassisted, I was able to get the cat into focus. Wow, he is really long, once 3d comes into play. I had to resize images for my display screen. The distance between the centers of the images have to match the distance between your pupils, or be even slightly less.

But I had real trouble getting the tool into focus. Finally I edited in a red line over a selected point on both images, then I put my face very close to it, and triied to imagine looking at a distant ship or sunset. Once the image locked, where three images appear, I could slowly sit back until sharper focus came back.

Once locked, the middle image has 3d, and the other two will be out of center and only 2d. The old boxes elimiate the images at the side, plus they use lenses make the close focus seem more distant, which all helps.

For the rest of us... The easiest way without a box; After resizing just under 2.5inches (63mm) between centers, put a sheet of cardboard (or envelope) on edge between the images on the display surface, and then put your nose against the edge closest to you. Then look to the imaginary distance, and try and relax your eyes. It should snap into place. With practice, you can ease back, until your sharper focus is restored. You can even drop the cardboard at that point.
For your viewing pleasure:

IMG_1112 (2).JPG

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just finished re-finishing the tub in my guest bathroom. I re-did the walls in subway tile, which made the tub look like crap. So I picked up this "Rust-oleum Tub & Tile Refinishing Kit". I never used it before, but followed the directions and watched an instructional video. It came out beautiful... very happy with the results.
The picture I took didn't turn out so good, but that is cheap digital camera I use... the tub really does look great!!

Tub.JPG

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just finished re-finishing the tub in my guest bathroom. I re-did the walls in subway tile, which made the tub look like crap. So I picked up this "Rust-oleum Tub & Tile Refinishing Kit". I never used it before, but followed the directions and watched an instructional video. It came out beautiful... very happy with the results.
The picture I took didn't turn out so good, but that is cheap digital camera I use... the tub really does look great!!
Hey thanks! In the refinishing of my house, I'm turning soon to our master bath, and the tub is definitely in need of that! And ours is almost the same style.

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey thanks! In the refinishing of my house, I'm turning soon to our master bath, and the tub is definitely in need of that! And ours is almost the same style.
Yes, the glaze does "bubble" in the bottom of the tub during the drying process. This is normal and the bubbles all go away as it dries. And definitely pick up one of those small rollers and small paint tray described in their instructional video.
This product has a very strong smell and takes over a week to "off gas", I just kept the door shut and the window open during that week. We used the other bathroom (exclusively) during that time...

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Looking at a possible resto project now. Was down at my mothers poking around in the garage and found this sled. Was a Christmas present in 1965 or so. Was going to refinish and restore but not sure I should. Sometimes its better to leave something in original condition, even if it is a little rough. Still trying to decide.

Attachments

• sled (1).JPG
    sled (1).JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 55
Top Bottom