• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Doubts...to Buy Or Not To Buy...

DBN477

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The thing that makes most people o please worry is the level of transparency. In most companies, I would guess, there are far more iterations and much more time and money spent "getting it right". USING the Mustang as an example, how many different iterations did that go through? At least three. The first "Mustang was built in 1961 but didn't see production for 4 years. This was a car based on the already in production Ford Falcon. Of course, as secretive as people were, we have no idea how confident those close to the product were about its success. The Elio will have its share of challenges as well (already has had many). However, we get to see this all first hand. We stand in a place in history where we get to not only see a car company being born but we get to be a part of it as well. Talking about the cars and keeping the buzz positive and in the media in a positive light will go far to ensure the success of this endeavor. We all benefit directly by getting a great product and watching the company grow but we also benefit indirectly as other manufacturers jump on the band wagon as driving 3 wheelers becomes socially accepted and popular. This will help clear our skies, reduce our oil dependence, create American jobs, and make the roadways beautiful with Elko colors. Hey, as another bonus, lighter cars tear up the roads less... saving taxpayersvdollars AND resulting in better roads. Go Elio!

No, the "first" Mustang was a mid engine 2 seat car(1962 http://www.supercars.net/cars/2409.html.) The first Mustang was nothing like the production Mustang that came out April 17, 1964. Funding approved September 1962, production began March 9, 1964.
http://www.classicponycars.com/history.html

Last edited:

ST13Fred

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Variable valve timing and FI are good to hear, but it is not going to be a high revving motor and will be getting its' power at the midpoint of a modest RPM limit.
Another positive configuration of the engine bay is that being a 'motorcycle', Elio won't be burdened w/all the emission requirements of a standard car. Rock on.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Variable valve timing and FI are good to hear, but it is not going to be a high revving motor and will be getting its' power at the midpoint of a modest RPM limit.
Another positive configuration of the engine bay is that being a 'motorcycle', Elio won't be burdened w/all the emission requirements of a standard car. Rock on.

Very true that as a motorcycle they are not required to have the emissions control systems required for cars however Elio have stated they will have a catalytic converters as standard equipment. My guess they chose this route to keep states like California from hassling them too much.

This engine was definitely never intended to make this a sports car but neither was the original Suzuki/GM version. They have already said the engine as delivered will actually be detuned to make it more fuel efficient so we should be able to easily tweak the ECM settings for a decent power increase. The original Suzuki/Geo was offered with a turbo and from what I have read the IAV guys are already working on a turbo add-on kit for this engine which I think could ultimately mean about 100 HP out of this simple small engine while still keeping it drivable on the street.

I also expect to see some very interesting engine swaps as this vehicle is cheap enough to buy and then install just about anything that will fit into such a small and very light chassis.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The original Suzuki/Geo was offered with a turbo and from what I have read the IAV guys are already working on a turbo add-on kit for this engine which I think could ultimately mean about 100 HP out of this simple small engine while still keeping it drivable on the street.

maxresdefault_zps726f5f48.jpg

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Very true that as a motorcycle they are not required to have the emissions control systems required for cars however Elio have stated they will have a catalytic converters as standard equipment. My guess they chose this route to keep states like California from hassling them too much.

This engine was definitely never intended to make this a sports car but neither was the original Suzuki/GM version. They have already said the engine as delivered will actually be detuned to make it more fuel efficient so we should be able to easily tweak the ECM settings for a decent power increase. The original Suzuki/Geo was offered with a turbo and from what I have read the IAV guys are already working on a turbo add-on kit for this engine which I think could ultimately mean about 100 HP out of this simple small engine while still keeping it drivable on the street.

I also expect to see some very interesting engine swaps as this vehicle is cheap enough to buy and then install just about anything that will fit into such a small and very light chassis.
As much as I want to be "righteous" and settle for a minimally powered Elio to meet it's 84 mpg goal....there's that "dark" side of me that says "more horses, more horses, more horses...heeehawwww!! :D

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The beauty of a properly designed and implemented turbo system is the fact that during cruise when you're not actually producing 'extra' horsepower, the turbo is simply along for the ride. The extra fuel consumption (and fun) comes into play as you're putting the aggressive driver in his econobox in your rear view mirror as the two of you sprint away from the traffic light. :) Not that I condone such behavior. Also, beware the electric hybrids. They typically produce large amounts of torque that could potentially prove embarrassing to you.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's what I get for going to Wikipedia which says, in part "
Executive stylist John Najjar Ferzely, who was a fan of the World War II P-51 Mustang fighter plane, is credited by Ford to have suggested the name.[12] John Najjar Ferzely co-designed the first prototype of the Ford Mustang known as Ford Mustang I in 1961, working jointly with fellow Ford stylist Philip T. Clark.[13] The Mustang I made its formal debut at the United States Grand Prix in Watkins Glen, New York on October 7, 1962, where test driver and contemporary Formula One race driver Dan Gurney lapped the track in a demonstration using the second "race" prototype. His lap times were only slightly off the pace of the F1 race cars."

I had a 1965 which was, as far as I'm concerned, the first "real" Mustang. Sure, the 1964 1/2 came out first but it was the 1965 that holds the most dear spot in history. I also had a 1960 Ford Falcon recently and while I was pulling the motor and transmission, I kept having deja vu. It was SO close to my old 65 which makes sense as they share DNA.

ST13Fred

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Very true that as a motorcycle they are not required to have the emissions control systems required for cars however Elio have stated they will have a catalytic converters as standard equipment.

Yes, ALL street motorcycles have a CAT. The NC700 has the CAT mounted at the exhaust exit, giving a very hot burn right at the engine for much better efficiency w/o hurting power, which most CATs' do.

Top Bottom